THE SWARM: Preview Event?

th13teen

There were a few enthusiast events for the pre-opening (or non opening in my case) of Saw and before that, wasn't the only other big event for Inferno in 2003. The Stealth 'ride it first' event took place moments before the ride opened to a plaza full of people!Something on this scale, I'd like to think they'll do something before opening day.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this e-mail from Merlin's January Update:"This year we have some very exciting new features at our attractions including:

• THE SWARM at THORPE PARK
  • Nemesis Sub-Terra at Alton Towers Resort
  • Ice Age 4D at Alton Towers Resort
  • LEGO® Star Warsâ„¢ Miniland Experienceat LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
And there's more to be revealed, including details of the Passholder Preview Days! We'll provide more information in the coming weeks, in the meantime you can enjoy the fantastic events below.The Merlin Annual Pass TeamMake of that what you will... :mellow:

ok I know this has nothing to do with AP days but what about The Swarm ticket that you can get will you need that to be able to ride because if you get a normal entry will you be able to ride The Swarm that is what I dont undersatnd.^Sorry if that made no sence but I dont understand that hole ticket thing for the open day :s

So instead of trying to solve last year's problem (underestimation of gate figures) at AP day, there's just going to be one massive crush on the first open weekend? Bravo whoever thought of that.

To be fair, the park cannot win. If they'd opened and experienced similar problems then the park would have been criticised. I've read on various forums that they're happy Annual Pass day isn't happening this year. Plus, the park is open midweek to ease the season in gently. Annual Pass preview would have been nice, but with such high demand for the new attraction, I'm not really surprised Thorpe have made this decision. It avoids another PR nightmare.

I think if the park had an Annual Pass day, The Swarm would remain closed as I'm sure the demand would be twice if not three times then that of Storm Surge last year which could lead to the park hitting capacity, Newly trained staff from every department in the park suddenly having mental breakdown because they haven't been 'broken in' to the general routine.As been previously mentioned, The park holds a 'Family & Friends' Preview event, which is a low number of visitors, probably around a thousand (give or take?) To get the staff into the general day to day routine, whether it be batching on a ride or restocking shelves in the Megastore. As Sheepie also said above, the park opens midweek to ease it into the first 'opening weekend' which I'm sure this year will collect high gate figures.If the park had an Annual Pass day and didn't open The Swarm I'm sure the complaints would be on the high side, so I'm sure the park have thought every aspect before concluding their decision whether or not to have a an Annual Pass preview day.

Since when did this have anything to do with opening late? You've jumped into this too far; it's not about that. We're not looking at whether the ride in question is a B&M or not; we're looking at whether Thorpe will open their new ride for Annual Pass Day or not. Looking at FORP'S ridiculous shamble last year with Storm Surge, they might hold back with The Swarm. And they might not. Excuse me for being oh-so-balanced in this argument but this fence is ever so cosy.But then of course I don't believe you're just an enthusiast.

It’s not fair to compare it to last year’s event because Thorpe Park let Annual pass holders to AP guests 1:2 which was insane because the park was full, however what ever happened to the good old fashioned Saw the ride AP day which was something like 2-5 on Friday 13th which meant the rides that were open were dead and we were all allocated time slots, fantastic! I even said at my school I had a dentist appointment just to go to the preview.

It’s not fair to compare it to last year’s event because Thorpe Park let Annual pass holders to AP guests 1:2 which was insane because the park was full, however what ever happened to the good old fashioned Saw the ride AP day which was something like 2-5 on Friday 13th which meant the rides that were open were dead and we were all allocated time slots, fantastic! I even said at my school I had a dentist appointment just to go to the preview.

Ahh the classic dentist excuse, I think I used that one too for the TPM Saw preview. :wub: I agree, there should be an annual pass day for The Swarm on Wednesday the 16th. They can overcome the problems with the AP day last year by only allowing AP holders to attend the event, instead of AP holders + 2 guests.