Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Liam T

The mazes though are a very different kettle of fish, and you don't see many families coming out of Terror of the Towers really...

It's all different tastes, but for a family orientated park, I would think something as extreme as Alien Encounter is too far down the scary scale to be a fitting addition to the park...

On that note, did you ride Thirteen? If so, did you find that more thrilling or less thrilling then Sub-Terra's drop?

Yes I did ride Thirteen, and I think that Nemesis Sub Terra has a better drop. While it is small it does pack a punch because it is quite forceful for the size of it!

Also the back pokers are HORRIBLE! I sat forward the second time to avoid them! Apart from that though I really enjoyed the whole experience.

I wonder how long it will last? I looks like it was obviously made to last but I imagine one by one the effects will die away or get removed and the fact that they have to have people "acting" to go with the ride's back story probably just takes up more money and effort.

Personally I quite like the ride as it is a new and unique idea in which I commend Merlin for. I just cant see it lasting that long.

None of the effects are costly to maintain or have on the ride, the "actors" are all ride staff, so have to be there to run the ride anyway, so that won't be affected.

Who knows the life of the ride, but everything at towers lasts a while, even the awful submission.

I actually quiet liked this yesterday, Actors were good, Back pokers made me jump along with the ankle air pipe thingys!

Everyone was nervous and didn't know what was going to happen, and it made the ride quite enjoyable, drop certainly suprised everyone but it's not much of a drop!

Overall I knew what it was going to be like and if you think of it more of an experience rather than a ride I think it's better!

Agreed with Liam, The theme is now much more explained before the actual drop, with more of the events happening before you drop. More lighting, improved use of lighting and effects and the back pokers and leg ticklers are all a big improvement on before. The drop is still of course very weak but nothing can really be done about that... The second lift also is much improved than before!

Not changing my overall rating of it though, I'd still say it gets 4/10... maybe 5/10, I actually quite like it now. :P

Says ride is improved but doesn't change rating of it...

Sounds very logical...

Argh Benin! :P In my first review of the ride I said the theme couldn't get much better as a medium investment Merlin ride, and I enjoyed it, so rated the theme highly (7/10) , but the ride part however I rated poor... (2/10) << That's the reason I'm not changing my rating. Yes the theme has got better in the way it's presented in a more logical way, but it's not up to the standards of say other dark rides in the theme park world, and I know Merlin aren't really expected to live up to those standards set by companies and parks such as Disney, Europa and Universal.

Also to add to that, The Phalanx control wasn't as shouty or nasty as opening day, it did kind of feel less tense in the first pre-show but they still have their funny re-marks like telling Luke off for breaking The Phalanx's keyring or just staring, very good work :D

avoided this topic like the plague before this week so I could go on the ride and be surprised as from the small snippets I had seen before regarding frops and effects it seemed like one of those attractions that would appear a lot better without knowing the outcome.

For the first time in years I have actually gone on something that actually made me nervous - I knew there was a drop I was excited for that, and the pre-show was entertaining when I got told off for not standing on my circle and seeing this lady being told off for touching her boyfriends bum. However went 'down' the lift - I thought the build up to it was very good and then sat down and the nerves set in as I didn't know what to expect. (as I said a first for me in a long while as mazes don't scare me neither).

The effects started - which I thought were well executed - good amount of water, loads of air pipes - the sharp back poker and the change of scenery. There was is my opinion something happening constantly without time for a breather. Went on it twice and I noticed on the first time the pipes and poker were before the drop and the second time they were after the drop - so at least it can keep you guessing for the drop. However I found the drop quite weak - no wear near extremis in london dungeons and actually thought the drop on thirteen was better......I also found that the acttual experience was far too short as soon as you get in

to it - it's over - however I loved the element that the attraction still wasn't over due to the happenings in the second lift which I thought was a nice touch. In all I really can't see this attraction as a ride but more of a show - but one I thought adds to the park. And defo better than the scaving reviews I heard when it first opened - I did think overall it was very immersive. 6/10

I think its a very good ride, all in all considering!

However its not going to be long before it ends up being a Dual, which includes a half decent ride but no one goes on it, and it will be walk on all the time, which will be a shame to see such rides, not on peoples to-do list!

I can say that Sub-Terra is on my do-list for all visits but as a whole, it is a filler, so its just their if you got any spare time and a nice addition to the park and Forbidden valley, plus its another dark ride so great for when the weather is bad and February Half Term

Right, my review of Sub-Terra, copied and pasted and slightly edited from my trip report:

We queued about 30 mins for it, not much to say about the queue really but I liked the queueline videos. I also really liked the staff, it's great how they have the uniform and have to get into and stay in their roles. While we were queueing there was one going through the queue staring at people and making humorous comments, which was a good addition! This is something I would love to see on more rides, I wish the Swarm actors were permanant or that they could have themed staff like this ride does.

We got inside, where you wait to go on the first lifts, again the staff were great, shouting at people to stand on the spots on the floor. Then it had a breakdown! We stood there for about 10-15 mins with the Phalanx Control thing playing continuously on the TV screens...then it re-opened! The first lift...not much to say really, the effects were ok but I didn't feel that much from them.

The ride itself - well, I enjoyed it for what it is! I went on expecting nothing amazing so I'm not disappointed ;) I liked all aspects of the theming, the egg and everything else I thought was good, although I think I could have paid more attention to it and probably will notice more next time I go on. This was also partly due to there being some confusion as to where to sit; I noticed on the floor in front of the seats there were numbers and I thought they corresponded to what row you were in before the first lift. However, the staff didn't tell you this and just shouted at you to sit down, so whether the seats are meant to correspond I don't know, but I guess the confusion it caused could count as part of the experience ;)

The drop I actually found was quite good, I didn't feel a huge lack of force compared to Extremis which is what some people say. Although on Extremis, you know when you are going to drop even the first time you go on, whereas Sub Terra, you don't, so maybe that's why it still felt forceful, because it was more of a shock? Infact, it felt like it went on a bit longer! I don't actually remember much about the part you dropped into, apart from the poking and leg ticklers which both worked well, although at first I didn't feel the back pokers because the drop had lifted me up and forwards so I wasn't leaning back against the seat :P

The strobes and other effects when you come off were effective, as were the effects in the second lift, they really worked well IMO.

So yeah, I came off without any complaints, the people that complain I think are expecting too much. Yes it would be awesome to have something like Alien Encounter but as Benin said, that would be far too scary for a family orientated park.

Overall, it's nothing amazing and is definitely more of an experience than a ride, much the same as Hex (still prefer Hex though, much better theming, music etc). If I missed out on it during a trip to Towers I wouldn't be disappointed, and it's certainly not something I would queue up for! I both agree and disagree with th13teen - I agree it is/will end up a half decent ride that no one will go on, but how can you say that Duel is half decent?! You can't compare something as epic as Duel to Sub-Terra, what an insult ;)

Not a bad ride, does what it's meant to do. 6/10, would probably be less if it wasn't for the staff.