Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Liam T

The problem isn't really Sub Terra but Merlin really with their cut corners strategy and over money bearing tactics, some could say Disney are money based but least they know how to balance money and customers evenly.

Sub-Terra may not be the best ride in the park (and not quite a patch on Hex & Duel), but it's a decent supporting ride which doesn't get the budget it deserves.

Its a pile of junk and Alton came to their senses to remove it?

NST may be a negative in an enthusiasts point of view however that doesn't mean it is for the general public.

On visiting AT for my first time in over ten years, our whole group really got into the experience, everyone was screaming, laughing and generally having a good time and being immersed into the experience. As a regular enthusiast visitor, I can see why the attraction can be a let-down and be viewed with no re-ride factor but from the general public's point of view it is a fun and immersive experience. A random guest visiting for their first and only time in a time period of a few years will find the attraction enjoyable as it's something different the park has to offer.

I don't think the experience deserves the negativity it gets from the enthusiast community as I found it really enjoyable when visiting last year. I think it's a shame the experience isn't as popular anymore as it was intended to be and I find it upsetting that Alton have made changes to the experience including removing actors from the experience which now puts a negative light on the attraction.

Last year, when I was in the experience it was very well received by the group we were with. Whilst it is an attraction subject to opinion, I think it is something unique for the general public to experience and I think they will enjoy trying out something different and fun to the standard rollercoaster.

I enjoy Sub Terra, but the lack of effort from the actors there at the moment (and the fact that there are less) has made it a mediocre experience rather than really good like it was a few years ago.  The scare maze needs something added to it instead of actors now, even just propped up mannequins with gas masks on would be better than nothing.

Lets face it, the fact that it holds a 5 minute queue most of the time says a lot about how much of a success it was.

I enjoy Sub Terra, but the lack of effort from the actors there at the moment (and the fact that there are less) has made it a mediocre experience rather than really good like it was a few years ago.  The scare maze needs something added to it instead of actors now, even just propped up mannequins with gas masks on would be better than nothing.

I thought it didn't have any actors at all now, and only had the 'themed ride staff'?  Unless things have changed?

I thought it didn't have any actors at all now, and only had the 'themed ride staff'?  Unless things have changed?

That would explain why they weren't really in their role then.

It's yet another example of these parks investing in something then letting it deteriorate so soon after.

Or...

An example of how Merlin Studios don't care much for the operation and guest experience of the rides they design. To cut their own costs on automated intro and end scenes, they make the ride experience rely on actors instead, which costs them nothing but costs the park operations a bomb to fund the actors. So inevitably they get dropped after a few years.

And 'propped up mannequins with gas masks on' would be so embarrassingly bad, they might as well stick up a massive sign saying "we run out of money for this bit". OH - is that what they were suggesting with Thirteen's queueline then?

Why the ride didn't even have an ending when it opened is just.. what a travesty. The budget should have gone where it was originally planned.

And 'propped up mannequins with gas masks on' would be so embarrassingly bad, they might as well stick up a massive sign saying "we run out of money for this bit". OH - is that what they were suggesting with Thirteen's queueline then?

I mean completely dressed up so that they look human like, just not moving.  With the right strobe effects it wouldn't look that bad and wouldn't cost the park anything after the initial investment (which would be next to nothing).

I will! I just need to ask in case it's a plan that's been shelved for the future (hopefully), rather than cancelled altogether.

But yeh, although it's become enjoyable for a quick blast of fun, Sub Terra is doomed to deteriorate into one of those "WTF?" dark rides that no one really understands what it was meant to be. Shame..

I mean completely dressed up so that they look human like, just not moving. With the right strobe effects it wouldn't look that bad and wouldn't cost the park anything after the initial investment (which would be next to nothing).

Yes some simple timed effects or lighting would be much appreciated I'm sure, just not mannequins - if only because it's one of those bad Merliny staples like shipping containers and vehicles.

Not sure if it's been said, but Sub terra is closed due to a design update, quoted from Alton towers facebook page. Interesting.

Nemesis Sub-Terra has been closed for a little while for a design update, we currently do not have a timescale.

• 2 weeks later...

So according to TowerTimes and TowersStreet, Sub Terra reopened today after the recent design update. It now has new thigh restraints and a lower locking lap bar, and because of the new thigh restraints large numbers of guests can no longer ride it. They've also said there are no longer actors (which I think has been the case since the start of the season) and the throughput has gone downhill. 

Doesn't sound very good at all, but I can only assume this has been done for safety? 

EDIT: Just seen on Twitter that they are telling people it's closed tomorrow. Making changes again already? 

We went on it today, the restraints are a full length lap bar with padding under it, it has a little bit of a plastic screen on the top, don't know if that was there before though.  Anyway when we went on the seats immediately to the left as you enter the chamber the harness would not lock down on and we were in the room for a good ten minutes while they were trying to get it to work before the ride ops gave up, evacuated all the people sitting in that row then set off the 'ride' without them, they were asked to wait outside then they went back in after we had been 'evacuated', when we exited they had closed the ride.

The upper bar and plastic screen is also new, I'm not entirely sure why that's there but the new flaps appear to be intended to stop people from getting out of a locked restraint. 

I was with the TS group today and half a dozen or so people had to get off the ride when we rode (including most of our group, all of whom had ridden before without any issues).  Judging by the length of time between cycles it seems they were probably turning away several people each time.  

Begs the question if it was the same seats every time, why send four batches in knowing one lot would have to leave?

I had to chuckle on our go, there was some scoucer chavs in group 3, they completely ignored the ride op and barged their way into the 'lift' so they ended up in group 4, we were the 'unlucky' ones who ended up in Group 3 - you can guess what happened, they were the lot that had to leave, karmas a bitch LOL.

But there was nothing wrong with the old restraints?

But why do you assume this? They didn't hastily shut the ride and spend loads of money adopting a hugely inconvenient new restraint design just for the sake of it. There was a lot wrong with the restraints, now it sounds like there's different problems with the new ones. This ride's been so much hassle and it's not worth it.

But why do you assume this? They didn't hastily shut the ride and spend loads of money adopting a hugely inconvenient new restraint design just for the sake of it. There was a lot wrong with the restraints, now it sounds like there's different problems with the new ones. This ride's been so much hassle and it's not worth it.

What was wrong with the old restraints then?

The ride rarely had any downtime because of them and they could fit people in them, which is more than can be said for the new ones!

You forget the amount of behind the scenes happenings on rides. For all we know, the restraints could've had a big fault in them, and had to be recalled (however what the real reason is, is very unclear). Towers normally deal with things like this brilliantly, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions, but rather trust that they're doing it for the greater good.