Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Liam T

This is great news! I await the improvements, bit upset that its close when I'm visiting but I'm not complaining about improvements :P

I hope this changes the rides and what people think of the ride but I think it is too late for that, Pretty much everyone knows "Sub-Terrible" and nothings going to change their mind to ride it because the simply minded will think nothings changed, shame really but its the GP for you

To an extent, although certainly with enthusiasts I have visited with, the general perception is that the attraction has already improved and, to my knoweldge, the ride feedback has also improved since opening - which is great news.

Here's todays news article from TowersTimes News:

Nemesis Sub-Terra, the new dark ride experience which opened in March to mixed reviews, is set for five days of maintenance next week, as it closes from Monday 21st to Friday 25th May inclusive.

The attraction, which takes guests on a 'psychologically and physically thrilling experience', has yet to be officially finished by Alton Towers, as revealed by Mark Kerrigan, Operations and Development Director, during the TowersTimes birthday event which took place earlier this month. Unique to Alton Towers, the attraction has already seen numerous improvements since March 24th.

Since opening, Sub-Terra has received a mixed response from guests, and it is hoped that the attraction will be beefed up during the upcoming closure. With a high standard of theming, ride staff in custom uniforms, actors and full backstory linked to the original Nemesis rollercoaster, the attraction marks new potential for Alton Towers as a true 'experience'.

I much agree, Sub-Terra 1.1 was very good to me personal and instead of leaving me with mixed feelings I came off laughing, however length and the 1st lift needs improving so by the sounds of this, it is to improve them & more, but yet again it isn't the scary it made out to be, shame really but I still highly rate the attraction

That's going to make the exit lifts alot darker...

I don't like the idea of the exit scaremaze, it just says to me "Sub-Terra wasn't scary enough so we going to get people to scream in your face to make it scary" Which is dislike, I fear after these changes it may make the ride worse for me personal and not something I would like to re-ride but enough negativity! I'm excited to see these changes and hope it won't make the ride worse for me :)

That's the main thing I dislike about the improvement - is that they've vastly reduced the attractions lifetime.. it's become heavily dependant on having high numbers of staff. What will happen after this season or in a few seasons time when this attraction will be as quiet as hex? It'll become a shadow of its former self.

I think it's more that the park have decided the best way to improve the ride is throw more money at it over a long period (I.e. staff wages) on a ride that already needs the highest number of staff to run it minimal...

In a time where budget cuts are getting bigger and bigger, it doesn't make much sense to add more staff who will be paid higher wages 100% of the time... Maybe they could/should have just done with more effects in this exit corridor thing, but I dunno if the re-rideability will ever increase for it now...

I'll find out Saturday, with people who have never been on the ride in any guise anyways, so it's gonna be like we're all riding it for the first time...

Well I got to experience yet another version of Sub Terra today and here is a quick runthrough of what has changed that I noticed...

- Addition wind blower aimed at the back of the head during the ride

- Countdown/New related announcements at the end of the ride portion

- Scare Corridor of darkness, loudness and claustrophobicness

There might well be small other changes, but if they changed anything further, I didn't notice really...

HOWEVER... The new exit container really changes the ending of the ride and provides a scary element that many felt were missing from the ride, with more reactions being of screams or laughs... Both of which are positive reactions in comparison to the sauntering departure of boredom... With a good use of smoke, noise and darkness to really disorient the riders and a small smattering of actors really adds to the experience although it is not clear what is really going on (guessing due to the bio suits it's decontamination due to the hatched eggs)...

Overall, a good addition, although may have resulted in me rarely bothering to ride it more than one a day...

The changes to Nemesis Sub-Terra are both considerable and widespread. Here's a rundown which I noticed, from my two rides at the weekend!

Briefing Area

No major changes, although the video is now louder in volume. Obviously, on opening weekend there wasn't even a video at this point.

Descent Lift

Spoken audio is the same, to instruct guests on boarding procedure. Accompanying this, there is now a droning sound which lowers in pitch as the lift descends into the cave. The vibrations are also more effective now, and there is a better sensation of going down. Generally louder. The cavern which guests walk through before entry into the observation chamber is the same, although the main chamber doors now do not open until several seconds after exits from the descent lift - so guests usually see them opening towards them.

Observation Chamber

New lighting on the egg, and a louder "heartbeat" noise accompanies this. The sequence/programming has changed a lot. The introduction at the start is now longer, before anything happens - then there are vibrations in the seat caused by heavy bass. Lights dim, various loud noises, egg hatches as before but much heavier water spray hits guests. Various "malfunction" messages play out, and lights dim again. Gondola's drop at different times. Nest of eggs very clear with new lighting flashing. Very loud noises play, speakers in seats to make it seem like the alien is moving around the room (this in darkness). Air bursts on back of neck. Lots of back poking and leg ticklers. Upon rising back up, countdown "30 SECONDS" begins, to get out of the main chamber. Very heavy strobing at this stage. Much more urgency. Guests leave seats and head towards Escape lifts - the room between main chamber and lifts is now full of smoke, air jets from above and heavy strobing. Lots of noise!

Ascent Lifts

More smoke through new panel. Lighting changed, more banging and more noise. Generally more "stress" going on here. You see a panel break at the top of the lift. Upon lift doors opening, a Phalanx Operative in gas mask from the decontamination unit bursts in with a flashlight, scaring all guests. Very effective here.

Decontamination Area

Entirely new. Lack of narrative here at the moment, although we were informed that this was being looked at. Guests go through decontamination in darkness. Phalanx operatives in gas masks, lots of flashing lights, strobes and bangs. Impression that a room has caved in as guests go under a fabric cloth. Lights have failed. Lots of mesh fencing. Very loud bangs just before exit.

And that... is the new Sub Terra. A massive improvement - well done Alton Towers. Now, just for a little improvement on the narrative side of things in the decontamination area and things will be well sorted!

:D

I will be at Alton towers on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday so on Saturday or Sunday I will post a review of the improved Nemesis: Sub terra. (Although AstroDan has already done a great job!)

I went on it last time when it had only been slightly improved so I will be comparing it to how it was then.

Wow! Really good effects at the end, actors do a good job and it's really loud and lots of strobe lighting! Lots of great reactions from the GP when coming out, lots of them like "I'm not going back in there" "that was so scary" "let's do that again!"

Love the updates, well done Alton! :D

Well, after 5 goes in the improved Sub terra I am very impressed.

The changes I spotted were:

- Louder television audio in the first room

- TV screens and sound effects in the first lift to simulate going down

- The ride chamber door was closed on three out of the five goes until we got closer to it

- New longer pre-speech before the drop

- Much more time spent in the cavern and it was a lot clearer as to what it was (nest of eggs.) Loads of leg ticklers and back pokers. Also the audio was coming out of speakers behind us as well.

- Much more chaos and urgency to get out with a new 30 second countdown.

- Air, fans and strobe lighting in the corridor to the exit lift.

- Louder SFX in the exit lift and one of the roof panels "caved in" slightly to simulate the alien trying to get in.

- A new scare maze. (Actors in gas masks, banging, lots of strobe lighting, fans, hisses and more.)

- Smell effects in the new scare maze.

Overall a much improved version, although it wasn't clear that the scare maze exit was a decontamination chamber.

• 4 weeks later...

Sub Terra continues to see subtle improvements. I have been on park a couple of times in the past few weeks, and the ride consistently has a 45 minute + queue all day - with exception to the last hour of park opening, when it dips right down to about 10 minutes by ride close.

There is now more use of water spray in the bottom "nest" area, and there is also increased use of the wind effect just before you leave your seats to evacuate. The actors in the maze section are also spreading themselves a little better, generally an actor tries to go really near the end - so that it's not just in the first corridor.

Overall, it's still doing really well, and the maintenence of effects seems to be great too. All in all, a good job all round. The theming and immersion inside really is some of the best in the country.

The Nemesis Sub-Terra version of Instant Escape week!
I like this because it shows how scary the ride is! But yawn at all the facebook/youtube comments saying how rubbish the ride is, I guess first impressions do count and how much you improve it, that first impression won't bring them back to the park

Wow! I had no idea they've been making improvements and OMG I wanna go back on it already - the length seemed just about right now - everything seemed to have more effects and the ending was just so much more intense that kept the momentum going. Thumbs up Alton