London 2012 Olympics

Liam T

The London 2012 Olympic's is finally here!

Posted Image

So discuss in this topic:

• Events
  • Medals (lots of golds hopefully!)
  • What you think about the Opening Ceremony?
  • What do you like?
  • What don't you like?
  • Thoughts on the venues?
  • And many more about the coming two weeks that you might want to discuss!
Or for the pessimistic of you all:

What are your not-so-favourable opinions on the Olympics? Waste of money? Bad for the economy? Bad for the environment?

On your marks. Get Set. DISCUSS! :P

Well at first I didn't mind it...but over the months it has got on my nerves as it's just EVERYWHERE! So muchy hype during the build up and I almost feel pressued to watch it just because my country is hosting it. Grr.

Opening ceremony was just random, especially at first. The Queen in the helicopter was a laugh though...and when she was caught picking her fingers :lol: I'm not really sure what exactly I was expecting but it just felt like a bit of an anti-climax. The torch/cauldron bit was good, shame the fireworks didn't last longer (and they ruined them by showing footage)...and then they dug Paul McCartney up yet again? :rolleyes: Lawl! Was it me or can he just not sing? And his jaw looks like it's about to drop off.

As for money...tbh, I'm still not clear on who exactly has paid, how, what exactly for etc...does it actually come out of our taxes? According to my brother it actually doesn't and is funded by London councils or something? Although it does make sense that we all have, one way or another, paid for it, seeing as it cost so dam much :P I cba to find out so don't shoot me down if I'm wrong or seem thick, k? :P

So assuming we have...well tbh, I'd rather my money go towards the NHS or something more worthwhile (sounds predictable but it's my honest opinion!). I don't despise or begrudge it like some people do and I will probably end up watching some of it, but part of me can't help but think "We had a massive ceremony, 2 weeks of events (biggest sporting event, granted!) and then...that's it." OH and they're not even going to keep that McDonalds apparently? Fail ;)

So yeah, I neither love it or hate it for now, guess I shall see how I feel over the next 2 weeks!

I'm very much a fan of the Olympics. Sure we could have built 1000's of defibrillators, but to show the greatest show on earth in our country is an honour. I think it was a class act for the lighting of the torch to not be a famous celebrity but to be the next generation of British sporting talent.

Posted Image

:wub:

If it came out of tax then I didn't pay for it <3

It was fab, some great British cameos throughout the show, especially the Queen with Daniel Craig and Rowan Atkinson's sequences... The evolution of music sequence was also pretty good as well if only for the music...

Bloody hell the country parade is boring though isn't it? But a great way to light the cauldron, shame about Artic Monkeys and McCartney though, where were the official Olympic songwriters dammit (Muse)?

Still, very very good and unique to Britain, better than some stolen singing voices and a ton of fireworks... Although it could have been seen as Danny Boyle's Lord of the Rings at times ;)

That is a good point about that area of London being in disrepair, but I think it's also that which some people have an issue with; I've heard many people who don't live in/near London say things along the lines of "I'm not benefitting from this/how does this benefit me?" I'm kinda stuck in the middle with this one :P I can see what they mean but...hmm...

And yes, I forgot to say, the bit with the music going through the decades, I enjoyed that bit too :D

I watched the Opening Ceremony as well. Admittedly, I was not planning on doing so, but I sorta got suckered into the hype of it and decided to watch it.

I really did enjoy it, actually. It was a brilliant story piece full of British humour, which is exactly what a country's Opening Ceremony should be. People were complaining that it was 'too British' - I'm sorry, what would you want instead? To be fair, there'll be some things people won't get (Rowan Atkinson / Mr Bean playing the piano was CLASSIC, though maybe an example of things that won't be fully 'got'), but when showing off Britain, there'll be many things other countries will not get. The inflatable children character villains, five rings going up in the air and the lighting of the cauldron were pretty spectacular as well (though I almost feel as though the introduction of the young athletes lighting to pieces wasn't as good / clear as it should have been).

Couple of negative points from me as well. Dizzie Rascal performing, though I understand why to a degree, I personally just feel that he isn't 'good enough' to do something this big, but heyho, it happened, and I guess he did alright. The James Bond / Queen thing was good, but the jumping out of the helicopter bit was a bit...anti-climatic and it felt a bit like 'Oh, why?'. Also, Paul McCarthy?! Just why in my opinion, so many more choices which would have been better in my opinion...

So yeah, really enjoyed it and a huge well done to everyone involved it! The one other thing to gather from it would be this - if anyone asks what 'Britishness' is, or what it means to be British, I would tell them to watch this Opening Ceremony and that would explain it to me perfectly.

I enjoyed the opening ceremony. Granted there were a couple of things that I did kinda think 'what the hell?!' But there were moments that I really enjoyed such as James Bond and the Queen sequence, Rowan Atkinson's part in the performance of 'Chariots of Fire', the very beginning showing the history of London. However the part I very much loved was the lighting of the cauldron - it looked truly spectacular! :D Danny Boyle did a truly fantastic job of putting this opening ceremony together.

It made me feel very patriotic and proud to be British! :)

See this is the weird thing - I'm proud to be British and I guess quite a patriotic person but but the ceremony didn't do anything for me, compared to things like the Jubilee and the Royal Wedding ^_^

When they played/sung Jerusalem though :D My brother's always said that should be England's own anthem!

On a different note - I have never, ever been able to look at that logo without thinking of Bart and Lisa Simpson...you know what I mean ;)

(Rowan Atkinson / Mr Bean playing the piano was CLASSIC, though maybe an example of things that won't be fully 'got')

Mr Bean has been one of the most successful entertainment exports from the UK in an international standpoint... Probably one of the most well recognised thing abroad...

Currently watching the Handball... WHAT IS THIS SPORT?

Mr Bean has been one of the most successful entertainment exports from the UK in an international standpoint... Probably one of the most well recognised thing abroad...

Really? Always thought it was one of those things that was popular in just Britain and kinda known in the US.. Shows how much I know about Britain's international status really... :P

On the whole I really enjoyed the opening ceremony. I'd highly recommend downloading the soundtrack if you have the time. My favourite parts were the drums and olympic rings, the children's literature part with all the villains and then at the end of that sequence when all the hospital bed lights gradually went out one by one.

I felt at points some of the really good parts were overshadowed by the more "what the hell" parts. I really didn't enjoy the opening sequence with the hillside. However, there were some fantastic creativity, fun humour and some pretty moving, touching moments that I think showcases only what Britain is best at. Only Britain could have an opening ceremony like that and I hope that we did ourselves proud. :)

That is a good point about that area of London being in disrepair, but I think it's also that which some people have an issue with; I've heard many people who don't live in/near London say things along the lines of "I'm not benefitting from this/how does this benefit me?"

It just shows the selfishness nature of people. I'm not going to any Olympic events but that doesn't mean I am not going to enjoy one of the most prestigious events a country can host or see the benefits the games will have for London. If you look at what the Commonwealth Games did for Manchester in 2002, I think you'd agree that the 2012 games will last far beyond the end of September. We're creating a legacy, not just a one off event.

I wasn't planning on watching it, but I ended up going to Blackheath where they had a large screen up for the public to view it all together. The atmosphere was incredible with a couple of thousand people screaming, but to be honest I was more bothered about the little funfair rides towards the back...

I am loving the olympics and to be fair it is clearly very beneficial for our country and is rather the icing on the cake for an iconic year for our country what with the jubille before.

I watched the opening ceremony and loved it, got better as it progressed untill the boredom of so many countries coming out and the ending was fab.

Visited London yesterday as I secured tickets to see 2 volleyball matches at Earls Court through sports makers, Stratford was PACKED and the level of excitement and thrill and the sheer scale of things was great, I was so thrilled to see the olympic park up close and then being able to hold an olympic torch and then watching 2 matches of mens volleyball.

The number of the people and the atmosphere at the matches was electric, shame about the sheer number of polish supporters and there bad sportsmanship towards Italy, the second match between Brazil and Italy was much better, but very enjoyable, memorable and thrilling to watch, we were so thankful to be able to attend an event for free and travel around for free for the day.

Japan needs to accept defeat better :glare:

But oh well.

Well done Team GB for the bronze Gymnastics medal!

They weren't defeated, the judges made the wrong decision on their score.

I'm loving the Olympics at the moment, it's just been fantastic to watch so far.