Rush

Perks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

how high does Vortex go? (and how high does Rush go as well?)

Rush’s full swing height can be anything upto 75 ft (23.4 m) approx.The swing height can vary easily due to weather mainly, or how full the ride is, but it’s standard highest swing is usually at 108 o. Anything beyond 110 o and the ride will automatically E-stop itself.The ride structure is 19.9 metres and the pivot point, where the booms swing from is at 18 meters. Work that out and you get the height.Vortex swings upto 60ft (18m) approx.For reference, Rush's slightly higher swing A-nearest the operators console runs on average like this:0 o33 o47 o60 o84 o91o103 o107 o108 o108 o66 o38 o13 o8 o0 o

^I know you are the ultimate authority on Rush, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I have also been told A operates faster than B, by an engineer who is a friend. The problem, I believe, is due to the air pressure in each swing; A recieves slightly more than B when both are operating together which results in B being both slower and lower. That's why when B operates alone it achieves more or less the same swing arc as A (my source on this isn't an engineer). What you will also notice is that B accelerates with more force on the lower swings, but seems to loose this power on the higher swings. That said,there are numerous other reasons that could affect swing height, both mechanical and external, so each time you see the ride swing into action there could be many reasons for the way the ride performs.

^ ..and that is why for the most part, the out of sync problem that the ride has, is a little bit of a mystery! Remember, that it is a fairly recent problem too, it was never that bad during it's first two seasons. S&S Power have been to the park several times to look into it.In regard to the two swings operating together or alone, they both have seperate cylinders that fill inbetween ride cycles and from the air dryer. You may also notice that if the ride is still for a while, perhaps a long time loading, then there is a loud hissing sound, which is the 'pop off' valve to ensure both cylinders have the same amount of preassure in and that they are not continuing to fill. When one side A or B is disabled, it's simply (well, not so simply), the valve to that cylinder. There are hundreds of emergancy valves to ensure either swing does not recieve more preassure than the other.You may be bang on in your post, all I can do is tell you what I know.

^ Could that not be that the air dryer's are not delivering the same amount of air to B (or the pressure auge on B is incorrectly calibrated), or maybe that there is air being lost somewhere from B? I've only ridden Rush since 07, so only really noticed it being much more out of sync in 08. This isn't by any chance around the time Thorpe refitted the air deliver 'pipes' in house is it? That would seem a likely cause for the inconsistency in performance if it hasn't always been that way...It may also be to do with the valves, on one visit I took B was only making it to about 80 degrees as it needed one of it's air release valves tightening, the funny thing was that once A was shut down and only B operating it made it to about 90 degrees.