Fastrack

Ryan

1 hour ago, ThemeParkCrafter said:

I understand there were those issues but Thorpe didn't iron them out to make it work well

They would have had to invest in multiple shows, many restaurants, more supporting rides and a few very high through put rides all of which cost way more than just keeping throughput in mind when making new rides. It was always doomed with the amount of money they had (that and the fact the maths for the system just doesn't work).

What's the context of Thorpe not putting Fastrack on DBGT?

Oh its because it's still unreliable and they don't need more complaints flooding the inbox...

They could do it, but I'm not gonna commend them for not doing so because of their inability to have it open...

6 minutes ago, Benin said:

What's the context of Thorpe not putting Fastrack on DBGT?

Oh its because it's still unreliable and they don't need more complaints flooding the inbox...

They could do it, but I'm not gonna commend them for not doing so because of their inability to have it open...

I don't believe it's had a day closed since it had its down time in the summer... it's usually open much closer to opening time now too... it's not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than it was.

Easily could have added it on there by now judging by the amount of people who ask for it social!

2 hours ago, Project LC said:

They would have had to invest in multiple shows, many restaurants, more supporting rides and a few very high through put rides all of which cost way more than just keeping throughput in mind when making new rides. It was always doomed with the amount of money they had (that and the fact the maths for the system just doesn't work).

Mathematically speaking, the system can work. From a purely theoretical perspective, Reserve n Ride was a brilliant idea.

From a more practical perspective, it wasn't really handled in the best way, needed more work put into it, more attention paid to it, more exposure and perhaps a little bit more faith in the system for it to work to a decent level.  

Of course, all the points you raise are very valid - especially since they publicly said the aim of the system was to try and make Thorpe Park a queue-free park, a very bold claim that they could in no way uphold without having multiple non-ride things to do (which the park simply does not have the infrastructure for).

3 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

Mathematically speaking, the system can work. From a purely theoretical perspective, Reserve n Ride was a brilliant idea.

Mathematically works and is a brilliant idea providing you make some pretty big assumptions like people waiting for a coaster on the system will then go and wait for a different ride with the same probability as if the system wasn't there. Where in reality people would be far more likely to wait for a ride that wasn't using the system which would force people to the low throughput rides which is just not what you want to happen.

19 minutes ago, Project LC said:

Mathematically works and is a brilliant idea providing you make some pretty big assumptions like people waiting for a coaster on the system will then go and wait for a different ride with the same probability as if the system wasn't there. Where in reality people would be far more likely to wait for a ride that wasn't using the system which would force people to the low throughput rides which is just not what you want to happen.

I'm probably just being a bit slow here, but I really don't get what you're trying to say here?

Are you saying that having RnR on the major rides (which are also the higher throughput rides) drives people to the lower throughput rides, counteracting the worthwhile-ness of the system?  If so, then yes, that's a fair point, but that's not to do with the maths for the system, more just the logistics of it.

1 minute ago, BaronC. said:

I'm probably just being a bit slow here, but I really don't get what you're trying to say here?

Are you saying that having RnR on the major rides (which are also the higher throughput rides) drives people to the lower throughput rides, counteracting the worthwhile-ness of the system?  If so, then yes, that's a fair point, but that's not to do with the maths for the system, more just the logistics of it.

That is what I'm trying to say (I did word that horrifically). I meant the maths in the system as the probabilities of what they do when not waiting for a major ride and so you are forcing all those people to other smaller rides which would make a bigger queue. So an hour queue on stealth is the equivalent number of people of a 2 hour queue on rush (roughly).

2 minutes ago, Project LC said:

That is what I'm trying to say (I did word that horrifically). I meant the maths in the system as the probabilities of what they do when not waiting for a major ride and so you are forcing all those people to other smaller rides which would make a bigger queue. So an hour queue on stealth is the equivalent number of people of a 2 hour queue on rush (roughly).

Ah, got you.  It was definitely the biggest flaw of the system in my opinion - the 1000 odd people who would be in a queue for Stealth, for example, have to go somewhere, don't they!  

Me being nitpicky though, that's not really a probability thing in my opinion - it's simply a case that you have a (large) number of people redistributed around the park and simply doing the next best thing.  But tldr is we're essentially saying the same thing just in different ways! :P

3 hours ago, BaronC. said:

people who would be in a queue for Stealth, for example, have to go somewhere, don't they!  

Er, no, they would look at any queue of a ride they wish to experience, that has a relatively shorter queue, which in reality, could be that they queue for Stealth or any ride they had already reserved a spot on, to then re-ride on their booked slot, logic.

What I'm saying is if there was, say, 1000 people virtually queueing for Stealth, instead of in a physical queue, they have got to be elsewhere on park.  So they are going to be in a queue for another ride (or even a standby queue for Stealth since they did that).

As far as I can see, we're saying the same thing? 

16 hours ago, Marc said:

Just thought would bring this topic up - so often people are quick to slam Thorpe / Merlin for how they "oversell" fastrack without caring for the main queue.

Well we are in Fright Nights and they are still not selling fastrack for Ghost Train - I assume they are still getting to grips with throughputs and are putting the guests in the queue first when they could very easily sell fastrack and it would no doubt sell - so nice work Thorpe :) 

How were the fastpass queues on other rides?