Fastrack

Ryan

There comes an extent where some disabilities should not count towards a pass. For example last week there were a family where the kid was perfectly able to queue as he was joining the stealth queue, riding then using his band to get on right afterwards.

Just for the record that could have been a situation like mine. On a really bad day it can take up to 4/5 people to be around me with my asbergers. If I flip out then I need people to restrain me and people to calm me down. However on a good day I can queue quite happily and not freak out or flip out. That's why it's a maximum of 3, because sometimes people need extra help. I personally don't go to theme parks on a bad day and I cancel last minute usually but that's the way it is. I have been on a bad day and I was fine because of who I was with but it was risky. Just to let you know.

I would have to agree that, that would be a hideous idea, and then you have the weeks and weeks of bad press afterwards. What Thorpe should do with fastracks is limit them to a very low percentage and up the price. Have it so there is only 1 or 2 types of passes and put an amazingly high price on them. Although the only way there going to manage that depends on the price elasticity of demand of fastracks. I imagine that they are quite inelastic with price as a lot of people will buy it regardless of price as they only visit once in a while.

Latecomer to the party!

It certainly does (even if that is not their primary role) and, as someone who has been on the receiving end of that exciting split second of a ratchet slip (dueling dragons btw), they certainly can.

Yes the ratchet systems do pop up, like Pluk says. Seatbelts are there for safety (as imagine in the G forces, your body would not be putting its full weight on the harness (unless going backwards) so a complete restraint failure would be fine with just a seatbelt.

It's also really really useful for evacs. You want to have guests get off calmly and concisely.. majority of rides with seatbelts open more than one seat at a time, which can cause issues. Hence seatbelts. Gerstlaur don't do this and have individual openings and hence have no seatbelts. Vekoma do, because vekoma probably can't be trusted.

No alton towers is worse in some places. The Smiler, Air and Rita are the top 3 rides I would rate as worsely done fastrack. T

The three rides you mention have an allocated 10% of hourly throughput as fastrack and nothing more (there's worse rides with higher allocations such as Nemesis, Oblivion and Thirteen). The issue with the three you've mentioned are that they're the three worst throughput coasters (if we ignore sonic), so it would feel like they're the worst. Would love to see thorpes allocation of fastrack as I highly doubt what they mentioned a few years ago was actually correct (and if so, is a bonkers way to run a fastrack system!)

Mad from a guests point of view, amazing from thorpes view. That way they can maxamise sales and make more money. Also I find it very hard to believe that the smiler has a 10% allocation. When there are no fastracks that queue moves almost twice as fast, not saying its a 50% allocation just that it seems an incredible amount more than 10%.

Also locking systems use 2 or 3 ratchets, if you somehow manage to get all 3 to fail then the seat belt will act as a fail safe, however as that is so unlikely the purpose of a seat belt is to prevent all seats being released at the same time. They are not their as a 4th fail safe.

The Smiler queue moves a lot faster after ride close, but it's not entirely due to fastrack, the closure of the disabled entrances makes a difference too.

It's going to get much worse once more VIP passes come into use - it seems they just have to show their passes to gain fastrack entry, which means no-one is monitoring how many of them are in the park. This could cause problems at peak times like fright nights/scarefest/fireworks when it's likely a relatively large number of VIP pass holders will be there.

The Smiler queue moves a lot faster after ride close, but it's not entirely due to fastrack, the closure of the disabled entrances makes a difference too.

It's going to get much worse once more VIP passes come into use - it seems they just have to show their passes to gain fastrack entry, which means no-one is monitoring how many of them are in the park. This could cause problems at peak times like fright nights/scarefest/fireworks when it's likely a relatively large number of VIP pass holders will be there.

To be fair, any ride with Fastrack/exit riders gains a suddenly faster queue after ride close...

Will be interesting to see the effect of VIP passes, the question is can Merlin find 1000 people stupid/rich/goony enough to buy one? Yes probably... But that's a LOT of disposable income to be wasting...

They need to get their unlimited wristband before riding - so they know every time a VIP guest is on park!

Will be interesting to see the effect of VIP passes, the question is can Merlin find 1000 people stupid/rich/goony enough to buy one? Yes probably... But that's a LOT of disposable income to be wasting...

Some very strong comments there to assume someone is stupid rich or goony to spend as you say disposable income on something just because to you its not a sensible thing

That's the great thing about disposable income. It's just that disposable for the person to use as they want. I don't drink alcohol or smoke but don't consider people who spend disposable income on that any of the above. ..

• 1 month later...

They are pre-selected to ensure there is the correct allocation and prevents overallocation if someone buys one selects a time and then doesn't show up. You may not even need a fastrack. Just turn up early and don't leave until your thrown out. I haven't bought a fastrack in over 2 years and I easily get over 20 rides in a day. Also the park is highly likely to open at 9:30 not 10 like it says.

• 2 months later...