Fastrack

Ryan

Talking about Fastrack...I hate them especially at Thorpe Park, because they are over sold and unfairly distributed. However I do pay the extra for Fright Night's for the Mazes because I want to enjoy them without having to queue 3 hours for a Maze. I always feel like if I was going to Alton Towers I would have to pay for the Mazes anyway so its not skin of my back to pay around £20 for 4-5 mazes.

However generally I think they are wrong at Thorpe Park, but in general they seem to get it right at Alton Towers. However this is the brand of Thorpe Park, the idea is to get Teenagers to part with their cash as fast as possible. What must also be remembered is Fastrack has been getting worse over the past 2-3 years for TWO reasons, One they over sell them by a mile (or do not get their figures right...all the time), TWO - A lot of the Medium Flat Rides have been closed for many years, for example, the Railway, Cinema, Kid's rides, etc, etc. And this of course puts greater stress on the main rides who have a greater number of guests than otherwise in previous years would have experienced, hence hopefully through the introduction of Angry Birds and hopefully a few more Medium Development attractions, Fastrack may be slightly restored, but its still no excuse for over selling beyond their means.

Talking about Fastrack...I hate them especially at Thorpe Park, because they are over sold and unfairly distributed. However I do pay the extra for Fright Night's for the Mazes because I want to enjoy them without having to queue 3 hours for a Maze. I always feel like if I was going to Alton Towers I would have to pay for the Mazes anyway so its not skin of my back to pay around £20 for 4-5 mazes.

Or, just go on a Sunday before the school holidays start. By 8pm the park is almost empty!

(Well, it was on 4 separate Sundays last year).

Its the same on a Saturday the First 2 weekends, however I usually go twice, and the second with friends in the Half Term period when its busy. So you have to weigh up those choices. However that is a different debate, Fastrack and Experience are two separate things, personally I see nothing wrong with a Fastrack for special attractions such as Mazes because they are there for literally one visit, and you want to make sure you get on all of them. But as I still say, management should take a leaf out of Alton Towers book.

No alton towers is worse in some places. The Smiler, Air and Rita are the top 3 rides I would rate as worsely done fastrack. The swarm is a very high scorer of terrible ratios as well. They should raise the price of fastracks dramatically to discourage sales as at the moment it is stupid and is rather off putting. I go to thorpe park a lot and everytime we hear at least one group moaning at the vast amounts of them. I understand that they have been basically mugged to skip a queue but maybe people should learn that somethings need to be waited for.

Not sure where to put this, Think I'll put in it fast track since it could pass as fast track

http://www.theladbible.com/articles/this-lad-s-attempt-at-getting-a-thorpe-park-fast-track-pass-seriously-backfired

what an a**hole

The fact that he could of got away with this if you hadn't of posted it on twitter angers me...

And the thing is, he's not really banned is he? Anyone could buy a ticket for him and then he could just use that. It's not like all the security are going to know every single person that's banned...

The fact that he could of got away with this if you hadn't of posted it on twitter angers me...

And the thing is, he's not really banned is he? Anyone could buy a ticket for him and then he could just use that. It's not like all the security are going to know every single person that's banned...

I doubt there are a huge amount of banned people, security at the parks will probably have a pretty good idea whos banned, especially ones which have drawn alot of attention like this one.

Security do tend to have images of people who have been banned pinned up on notice boards within their offices...

So yes, they will know...

Shame that it kinda shows that the park's scrutiny in ensuring that those with disabilities get the exit pass is lacking... The park should be commended for the banning order, but should also try and ensure that this stuff doesn't happen... Even if it means stricter regulations for those with actual issues with queuing...

Excuse me...this just heightens the farce of the so called Disabled Entrance!? There is nothing more infuriating...take Fastrack to one side, but the 'Disabled' guests absolutely anger me to boiling point, Yes there are some who I feel justifiably should get access, but most are just 'carers' (in reality just taken the whole family on the ride with them) or worse still the ones that 'can't queue' such as this guy, when most in reality could! This may sound harsh, but unfortunatly its very very true, you go to Port Aventura, etc, and you see the DISABLED, and they really are disabled and you think fair enough. At Port Aventura I do not see a whole group for one disabled person.

Excuse me...this just heightens the farce of the so called Disabled Entrance!? There is nothing more infuriating...take Fastrack to one side, but the 'Disabled' guests absolutely anger me to boiling point, Yes there are some who I feel justifiably should get access, but most are just 'carers' (in reality just taken the whole family on the ride with them) or worse still the ones that 'can't queue' such as this guy, when most in reality could! This may sound harsh, but unfortunatly its very very true, you go to Port Aventura, etc, and you see the DISABLED, and they really are disabled and you think fair enough. At Port Aventura I do not see a whole group for one disabled person.

At the same time at Portaventura you'll have MUCH more fastrack and those who dont wish to pay for fastrack simply push past everyone.

Swings and roundabouts really, I dont think the disabled system at Merlin parks is to unfair, back in 2003/4 disabled guests could simply show their wristband and skip all the queues, now on the major rides they can not ride another ride for the length of the queue (so for example if a disabled guest rides Colossus and it has a 1 hour queue they will not be able to use their band for that hour) Though this only covers the major rides I dont think its a big advantage as it once was.

Disabled guests require carers to take them on the ride (as ride hosts aren't covered by insurance should something go wrong if they help them board/exit)... There is a maximum limit of 3 carers too (though whether that gets followed I'm not sure)...

And of course, not every disability is able to be seen externally... And whilst a lot of people who get a pass tend to have crutches or general leg issues that would mean they couldn't queue for extended periods of time, I think that's ok, because I wouldn't want to be stuck in a queue of 60/90 minutes with a leg that's healing...

The Merlin procedure of disabled passes is ok in theory, they just need to ensure that only those who are 'deserving' (for want of a better word) of it get it... Rather than people who would fake it...

Disney have made a lot of queuelines wheelchair accessable, so they just join the main queue (which is what I think is correct). However if you unable to queue (such as autism etc) then you get a card with a return time of just under the current wait time, again this keeps it fair for everyone. A disability should never give front of the line access for your entire family, everyone should be able to utilise attractions equally and equality works both ways.

It's a difficult one. A balance has to be reached between making it easy for those who have a right to the disabled pass to get hold of one, but difficult enough that not everyone qualifies for the system / people can't make up an excuse. At the same time, you don't want the parks to discriminate against guests or be overly obtuse about it all.

As it stands, the system is quite good. The criteria for who qualifies for the band is fair, and the way it is used is also a fair. As Marc says, a lot, lot better than the system a few years back too. Unfortunately, some people do try to abuse the system, and it is difficult for it be detected. The particular case is probably quite rare, and it's good they've been able to crack down on this. I certainly don't think this should lead to any changes in the disabled system either.

I always find it interesting when people with these sorts of injuries go to theme parks anyways (real or faked). Last year, when I broke my ankle, people were suggesting I should go and make use of the disabled system (or even after when it was still healing). In my opinion, if you're normally a fit and well person and you suffer an injury that stops you from standing in queue lines at theme parks for long times, then perhaps you shouldn't be going to theme parks at all...

I cannot justify 3 Carers to 1 disabled person...Unless a very specific medical condition. That is simply as abusive as overselling fastrack.

1 Disabled, 1 Carer.

Am I the only one who has thought why doesn't disabled work like parent swap, one or two members of the disabled party goes and queues, and when they are at the front the Disabled and Guests can ride together?

What I don't get is how they allow people who cant walk on some of the coasters. If someone who cant walk needs a vertical evac on saw how on earth do you get them off. Also I find it hard to believe that there is enough disabled people to fill the back row of every train on nemesis and an entire car on Colossus. Ill look at the positives though at least there are not fastracks which allow use of the exits.

I cannot justify 3 Carers to 1 disabled person...Unless a very specific medical condition. That is simply as abusive as overselling fastrack.

1 Disabled, 1 Carer.

Am I the only one who has thought why doesn't disabled work like parent swap, one or two members of the disabled party goes and queues, and when they are at the front the Disabled and Guests can ride together?

In some cases, 1 carer is not enough to safely help a disabled person (especially in case of evacuation).

I don't think there's any reason as to why one person would need 3 carers though. However, I don't see any harm in it. Remember, disabled guests are just that - guests! They also want to enjoy a day out with their family / friends, so having just 1 person with them is just unfair on them really - it could even be seen as penalising them for being disabled.

I think 3 is a good number. 4 people in a group is probably quite average (especially if one of those guests is disabled). Also, it keeps rides filled up evenly. With coasters, they even have 2 or 4 people to a row. Sure, having only 1 carer means that's not an issue, but if you have 2, then it's unlikely that the remaining seat will be filled (especially as you couldn't put 2 disabled guests on the same ride), so by having a fourth person, it in fact make no difference on the throughput compared to three people (and, in 4 row coasters, no difference compared to two people).

As for the idea of a Parent Swap, I don't particularly see how that's fair. I have limited knowledge of how it works, but I'm under the impression that if two adults and a child, say, visit, and the adults want to ride a big coaster that the child can't, then one adult queues, whilst the other adult and child are free to go round the park, then the adults can ride together? Or something similar at least?

That's the parents' choice; they choose to split up so they can ride a ride they want, whilst being able to keep the child entertained. But why should a group of people have to split up because one of them is disabled? That's one thing I don't think you're seeing...what you've suggested involves splitting up the group for the sheer reason that one of them is disabled and so it doesn't affect throughputs as much.

What I don't get is how they allow people who cant walk on some of the coasters. If someone who cant walk needs a vertical evac on saw how on earth do you get them off. Also I find it hard to believe that there is enough disabled people to fill the back row of every train on nemesis and an entire car on Colossus. Ill look at the positives though at least there are not fastracks which allow use of the exits.

I think it's down to the guest's own choice. With someone who can't walk, or who needs assistance walking, there's a list of rides that they're usually not recommend to go on (due to evacuation procedures). I've seen some people ignore these and ride anyway, whilst I've seen other guests be stopped from riding. I guess it depends on the staff who are on the ride as well. With other rides, where the evacuation procedures are less complicated, some disabled guests are still required to have at least 2 carers if they can't walk unaided, for example.

There certainly won't be enough disabled guests to fill every back row of Inferno, back car of Colossus, etc. It's very rare at Thorpe that those rows are continuously closed off. However, when disabled guests arrive, they are of course blocked off to minimise the queueing time for disabled guests. Things like that are more a problem at Chessington I've found, due to the broader appeal (and lower throughputs) of their major coasters. However, something like that is, unfortunately, going to be unavoidable.

I meant the parent swap method, as in waiting fairly for a ride.

And fine if Disabled need more than 1 person for evacuation, but really no more is needed.

However I have strong opinions about this, probably because I have been burnt badly by past experiences, and I am simply fed up of the system combined with an awful Fastrack partnership.

However please don't think I am discriminating, if anything I am trying to be fairer for everyone (that's my personal opinion, so please don't argue).

Has anyone used the new VIP Passes at Thorpe yet? (Yes I know its still very new and today was the first possible day for them to be used),

I am interested in how they are working with regard to FastTrack, I know Thorpe Fasttrack is always more heavily used and a little "Chaotic" compared to Alton Towers,

So if anyone has used them for Thorpe today I would be interested on how well they worked,

I picked mine up at Alton towers this morning, and found them to be great, the staff were helpful and in some cases diverting holders away from the regular fasttrack line if it was busy to the exit for faster ridetimes. (Getting a solid 5 to 6 runs an hour on smiler which was great)

Planning on trying Thorpe this Saturday, so will see how it goes,

As an aside Alton said there is now Premium/Priority Parking at Thorpe that can be used with the VIP Pass, is that correct I have only ever seen standard parking at Thorpe unless I have missed it.

Cheers.

Has anyone used the new VIP Passes at Thorpe yet? (Yes I know its still very new and today was the first possible day for them to be used),

I am interested in how they are working with regard to FastTrack, I know Thorpe Fasttrack is always more heavily used and a little "Chaotic" compared to Alton Towers,

So if anyone has used them for Thorpe today I would be interested on how well they worked,

I picked mine up at Alton towers this morning, and found them to be great, the staff were helpful and in some cases diverting holders away from the regular fasttrack line if it was busy to the exit for faster ridetimes. (Getting a solid 5 to 6 runs an hour on smiler which was great)

Planning on trying Thorpe this Saturday, so will see how it goes,

As an aside Alton said there is now Premium/Priority Parking at Thorpe that can be used with the VIP Pass, is that correct I have only ever seen standard parking at Thorpe unless I have missed it.

Cheers.

I'm not to sure how thorpe will handle it, id assume just using the normal fastrack queues. Thorpe have always stated fastrack don't guarantee instant access, just quicker than the main queue line.

As for the car park you are correct there is only standard parking at thorpe. Have a good trip!

I'm not to sure how thorpe will handle it, id assume just using the normal fastrack queues. Thorpe have always stated fastrack don't guarantee instant access, just quicker than the main queue line.

As for the car park you are correct there is only standard parking at thorpe. Have a good trip!

Thanks, will find out on Saturday, I normally only get to Thorpe 3 or 4 times a year, so its not that important, I am based very close to Alton Towers, so thats my main park,

The VIP Pass makes good sense as its easy to gets 5 to 6 runs an hour on the smiler, the priority car park is right outside the gate rather than a monorail ride away, so I can keep a chilled lunch in the car and pop out for that and then in the afternoon/evening a swim at pool (Which is included now with the new pass, was £12 a pop or £75 a year before)

They do have some priority parking near where the crash pad people can park. Not sure if that's open to VIP passes though.

Cheers, Yes the Pass team have just emailed back and said there is now priority parking on site, so assume that will be it, although to be honest whenever I have been to Thorpe in the past I havebeen there early and parked right outside the place anyway.