Apple (Plus Technology in General)

AJ

So as I'm a little bit of an Apple Geek, I know for one thing I will be getting my Apple Watch next year. However I have also been with an iPhone for so long and am used to the way it works I am technically 'stuck' with the brand. However I have never really found any fault with the company in recent years and why change to that thing called android when your perfectly happy with IOS. Plus Iphone 6 Plus will have a nice big screen so I think I'll be upgrading my 4S next year too  :wacko:.

So yes the Title may be Apple (As that is by far the better brand  B) ) but as there are these other technologies that some crazy  :crazy: people think is better for some reason, I thought we should put the technology in general into the thread as well. Surprised one has not been created already actually. Discuss......

Wow, very broad starting point for a topic.

One thing to begin with is that apple products as a whole are alot more expensive then pretty much any other brand on the electronic market, already decreasing its popularity.

Second of all, IOS is a private software just for apple products, where as Android (?) and windows 8 can be used on a range of phones.

They also have thier own set of charging ports which is a painful money making scheme as when they brake you can't use one from another device, unless it's an apple, where as with my samsung, I can charge my phone with any of my camera leads, and vice versa. This will soon change, at least in Europe due to clamping down on electronic regulations (I believe).

Finally, I have had a really annoying run with Apple guest services. As you know Peaj, my local apple store is probably the same one as yours, and I had to visit there 5 times before they fixed my ipod. Each time they turned me away and told me just to get a new one, until I went in with a printed out page of the law in my hand. Only then did they replace it for me. I was very annoyed because that was over the course of 2 months, and in that time I could've really used my iPod. A shame really because I didn't want to get an iPhone with that big shake up, and now I barely use my iPod. 

Had an Android phone for the last couple years, switching to iPhone in January. Android is a great platform, but iPhone's now finally do everything I want them to do, Apple have the advantage on the software front, iOS has been refined and perfected into an OS that is easy to use and doesn't sacrifice stability for features, it's also worth noting that Apple's app selection is far superior.

The Apple Watch looks really interesting as well, I'm looking forward to seeing how it's received.

Having an iphone for two years it was the worst mistake I ever made. I got it back in 2012 and it worked fine but after a year it just started to act weird. Now I have an samsung galaxy s3 mini and its the best phone ive ever had (apart from the lg ks360 :P ) but I do love my ipad since it's excellent but the battery does not last 10 hours! The apple watch is a gimmick in my opinion. Like samsungs one how the hell do you type on a 2 inch screen!

I can't fathom the money people spend on this stuff. It's mental, and infuriating when those same people moan about how poor and hard done by they are while frittering away such amounts of money on what is absolutely an extravagance, not a necessity.
My Samsung s3mini makes calls and texts, browses the internet and downloads stuff for me to use and watch later when I'm at home on wifi. What more do you need that could ppossibly be worth the hundreds and hundreds of pounds extra?

Suckers!

Edit - hahahahaha

Oooh phones :D

My contract ended yesterday, and even though I probably won't get a new phone until after Christmas, I've obviously been thinking about what to do next and I may return to the iPhone...

Long post ahead! :ninja:

I had an iPhone 4 for 2 years, then upgraded to my HTC One X in 2012. I loved both phones but definitely prefer Android in this instance (but not necessarily the phone itself, more on that later), love how customisable everything is and WIDGETS! Do iOS 8 and/or the new iPhones support widgets now? I'm so used to them and in some ways, they've helped me to become a little more organised, with things such as a calendar widget, Google Keep, etc. Having a widget there, open and running, is an instant reminder and means I don't forget to actually write things down or procrastinate :lol: Having widgets for commonly used apps like Facebook, weather etc, means I can just check them quickly, or open the app if need be, without having to scroll through all the other apps and then get distracted :blush:

BUT, there is a deep and dark downside to all this :o I've wasted ridiculous amounts of time customising my phone, getting confused with which launcher to use, which lockscreen, different fonts, different SMS apps...argh! Then there's this one called Zooper Widget where you can make your own widget, and the basic and advanced options were one thing...I then discovered you can even input coding etc as part of customising it, which I very quickly picked up so spent hours playing around with that! :wacko:

It does mean I've never become "bored" with how things look, and the phone still, in some ways, feels new and exciting, which is nice when you're in a 24 month contract!

Now onto the phone itself...

I do miss the whole "It just works" side of Apple. My HTC is 32GB, but the storage is divided - there's nearly 7GB "App storage" (also referred to as internal storage) and over 25GB "Phone storage" (of which I have just under 13MB left). App storage is just for apps (phone storage has apps, photos, music, etc) and is used for any updates. However it is always nearing capacity, most of it being consumed by "Other", don't know what that is as you can't select it and look or anything, but presumably it's app data etc. So I often have issues updating apps, getting an "Insufficient storage space" error message. Even though as many of the apps as possible are in phone storage, it bases it on how much app storage you have left. So I quite often have to clear app data, which is a pain in the arse, especially as frequently used things like Google search and Facebook create a lot of data, quite quickly! Also, I don't exactly have loads and loads of apps, not compared to other people!

My iPhone 4 was 16GB and mostly full with media, so I thought double that amount would be fine, especially with cloud storage etc. Little did I know it would have this silly app data/internal storage thing! :P I don't recall having this with my iPhone, maybe only on the odd occassion when it was almost at capacity but at least Icould delete photos etc to make the room, it was simple!

The battery life is dire, I know all the little tips and tricks to reduce battery usage but it still doesn't stop it running out too soon. When I first got it, I noticed how quickly it would run out compared to my iPhone! These days it seems to suddenly drop quite a few percent without necessarily doing anything...

The video recording quality is great, HD, nice sharp picture, however the sound is AWFUL, it's like it can't cope with loud noise and has no bass at all, it's all sharp and harsh to listen to. And it's not just me, I googled it and so many others said the same!

Really odd and disappointing from a smartphone in this day and age!

So yeah, tl;dr - I really do like Android but I'm cautious about getting HTC again due to their infamous bad battery life, which apparently is better now but then they all claim that! Also, I really want to try just stock Android without any skins like Sense, TouchWhizz, etc. I don't know, there's nothing wrong with Sense for example, I'd just like to try an Android phone that is just running their OS and nothing on top. The only phone out right now that does this is the Nexus 5, so I'm curious about their next phone, although rumours are it'll be a 5.2 inch screen - well I occassionally have trouble using my HTC (4.7 inch) with one hand, my thumb can just about reach across! :lol: So I don't think I'd want one any bigger!

And I do like the iPhone 6, shame there's not a 32GB one though! The tariffs with O2 are really good, cheaper than I expected and will hopefully go down a bit too after Christmas. I've never had any issues with O2 and the Refresh thing seems really good so I'll probably stay with them. I looked at EE out of curiosity and they charge a lot more, what's the deal with that?

Oh and I found out yesterday, the day my contract finished, that the house/contents insurance policy my mum has with Aviva includes all phones, even if something happens not in the house. So I could've saved £10 a month on insurance! :rolleyes:

Had an iPhone 4 for three and a half years and was more or less trouble free. Never cracked it and if I hadn't got water into it, it would still be alive today. I've been on a 5C (In beautiful yellow) since March and it's the best phone I've had so far in my short little life. Works perfectly and has given me no grief. I'm not a fan of Samsung and HTC's. Sure they may be ahead in technology but it doesn't necessarily mean they are the best. 

I'll definitely be getting an Apple Watch on release, that Mickey fascia.  :wub:  :wub:

Yes the Mickey fascia I got a wee but excited on.

For me the thing that has annoyed me about android whenever I use a phone on that system is the amount of paths you need to go through to get to a simple application. There are so many things hidden in unlikely places and if you don't know where they are it takes ages to find. That's the one thing I like about apple, it's nice and simple and self explanatory

I had an iPod Touch a few years ago.  It was good, yeah, but I dunno, I guess it's just not my cup of tea, so have never bothered really considering getting an iPhone.

I got a Samsung Galaxy S3 a couple of months after its release and loved it.  The contract expired a few months ago and I was going to just keep it, but after cracking screen quite badly, I decided to just get an upgrade.  The S5 was a bit beyond my budget, so I originally opted for the S4 mini.  But I didn't like that to be honest; I'd gotten so used to a big screen and such, plus the S4 mini felt like a downgrade all round, so I was able to swap.  Ended up leaving Samsung and getting the HTC One Mini 2 (yeah, that's a mouthful!). 

Despite being a 'mini', it's more or less the same size as the S3, and I absolutely love it.  Great phone that satisfies all my needs.

tl;dr - I don't like Apple products.  I love Samsung.  I found a liking for HTC.

Have to admit that's one thing that has made me think about not getting the apple watch is that your advertising what you have on you.

I think the thing that has swayed me to yes now is I'm older so less chance of a mugging, plus I'm generally in a car or with a group of people - so gonna take me chances ^_^

Another thing as well is that even though I love Apple - waiting outside to be one of the first for the gadget is in my opinion very sad. I was listening to Jamie theakston on heart radio the other day who asked a number of people in the queue when was the last time they kissed

The responses

Over ten years ago

I don't remember

Never kissed

.....enough said!

Have to admit that's one thing that has made me think about not getting the apple watch is that your advertising what you have on you.

I think the thing that has swayed me to yes now is I'm older so less chance of a mugging, plus I'm generally in a car or with a group of people - so gonna take me chances ^_^

But then you're not always with others, although I get what you're saying!

Also, being older doesn't mean you're not at risk! If there's one of you and 4 of them (like what happened to me), you haven't really got much chance.

• 1 month later...

Yes there is still a chance but the probability is greatly reduced when you get out of a certain age bracket.

If you walk around thinking something is going to happen then there is a higher chance it will as the non confidence will show in your body language.