Logger's Leap

Garyy

I've always wondered - why do only 2 or 3 (or sometimes none) of the clicky clacky backstops on the main lifthill work? Can I presume that Thrope have worked out a super high tec invisible way of stopping the boats flying down backwards in the event of a belt snapping? Or will they just wait until it happens and a few people are killed before they bother spending a few quid repairing them?

I've always wondered - why do only 2 or 3 (or sometimes none) of the clicky clacky backstops on the main lifthill work? Can I presume that Thorpe have worked out a super high tec invisible way of stopping the boats flying down backwards in the event of a belt snapping? Or will they just wait until it happens and a few people are killed before they bother spending a few quid repairing them?

That's how they are supposed to be, they pop out when the ride is e-stopped or if a sensor senses something is wrong, they are closed during normal operation probably because they reduce noise pollution. If you look the next time you are on the Canada Creek Railway, you can see the pipes which run alongside all of them which control if they are open or not. I presume the ones that are open have just got something wrong with them that prevents them from closing, so it's better for them just to be left open. Anyway, if the conveyor would stop the boats wouldn't run down it immediately, this would probably only happen if it was a very heavy boat or if the belt was more slippery than usual. :)

Fair enough if that's the case, but do you know this to be fact or is it just presumption? It just seems a bit odd to me - too much noise pollution from little clickers, rush booming and people screaming on Colossus a few yards away. Every other log flume type that I can remember riding (and I'm sure Thorpe used to) has them out all the time, so they don't require any power or sensor control and are therefore totally fail safe. I know the boats don't move when the belt stops, I'm talking belt breaking (which can happen, I've seen it myself on dragon falls).

^ Well it's just what I've been told and if you look on page 6 of this topic there is also a similar discussion going on where I remember someone who has worked on loggers explains about them. (although some of the posts have been deleted so it's a bit vague...)

Yeah, I did see that discussion, but couldn't see it resolved with any kind of explanation. I'm (kind of) sure they wouldn't run it if it was unsafe, but it seems bazaar to build in an operating system to something which works fine if it's just left alone.

I've always wondered - why do only 2 or 3 (or sometimes none) of the clicky clacky backstops on the main lifthill work? Can I presume that Thrope have worked out a super high tec invisible way of stopping the boats flying down backwards in the event of a belt snapping? Or will they just wait until it happens and a few people are killed before they bother spending a few quid repairing them?

That's how they are supposed to be, they pop out when the ride is e-stopped or if a sensor senses something is wrong, they are closed during normal operation probably because they reduce noise pollution. If you look the next time you are on the Canada Creek Railway, you can see the pipes which run alongside all of them which control if they are open or not. I presume the ones that are open have just got something wrong with them that prevents them from closing, so it's better for them just to be left open. Anyway, if the conveyor would stop the boats wouldn't run down it immediately, this would probably only happen if it was a very heavy boat or if the belt was more slippery than usual. :)

Unfortunately as far as I am aware luke is wrong, they dont pop out when the ride is estopped as they are on springs and it is a simple case that they need reoiling or replacing to get them functional again. However, they are purely there for a visual reassurance much like the seatbellts on the coasters, in the event of the lifthill stopping there is anti slip gripping on the underside of each boat that is angled against the grooves on the lifthill. Thus there is no chance of a few people being killed pluk.

If that's the case, then its more of a backup as well as a physical reassurance. Much like coasters have at least two PLCs to ensure nothing accidently goes wrong, they'll be there to prevent or slow down the boat from going down if the anti slip has grounded down.

That's what I thought Smiffy, and as you say the anti slip grips to the belt. But if that belt breaks it is gripping to nothing so backwards it will go along the rollers. Other things can also effect the belt grips effectiveness, like this...http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=5507982It's a long way up there, I was kind of exaggerating when I wrote it but I'm quite sure a log coming right down from the top to one at the bottom would be going fast enough and be heavy enough to kill.

Remember pre dates Colossus by over ten years, back then the noise from Loggers may have been an issue. The system has a number that remain poking out, and a number that retract. The idea is that you have some backup should the main system fail.

I think Ian's post pretty much answers the question tbh :)The ride is safe, you won't die. S'all gooood.

If wasn't safe nobody would be allowed on it ..

There's no point in this discussion going round and round in circles, I still don't understand the point of this powered backstop idea and hope it is correct. I don't know who on here has first hand experience/knowledge of these things or who is having a guess and opinion is split. As I said initially, my assumption IS that an alternative safety measure is in place. But nothing is ever completely safe, risks are managed with safety features and this safety feature appears to me to not have been maintained. If it were 100% true that any attraction would not be operating if it were not safe then accidents would never happen. We know they have happened and we know that Thorpe/Tussauds have previously been fined for breach of health and safety in relation to this, so I think this was a legitimate question to ask.

There's no point in this discussion going round and round in circles, I still don't understand the point of this powered backstop idea and hope it is correct. I don't know who on here has first hand experience/knowledge of these things or who is having a guess and opinion is split. As I said initially, my assumption IS that an alternative safety measure is in place. But nothing is ever completely safe, risks are managed with safety features and this safety feature appears to me to not have been maintained. If it were 100% true that any attraction would not be operating if it were not safe then accidents would never happen. We know they have happened and we know that Thorpe/Tussauds have previously been fined for breach of health and safety in relation to this, so I think this was a legitimate question to ask.

I totally agree with what you say about this subject but loads and loads of tests on these rides and safety features have to be at a very high standard . I have a good technical knowledge but don't know much about these mechanics on these ratchet stops .The H&S stuff gets way out of hand but has got to be done and I think loggers is quite good considering it's age .

Anaconda log Flume at Isla Magica in Spain has a lift hill like Loggers Leap (no backstops out) based on what I can see in this video. So Loggers Leap is not the only one like it.
I went on this abou 9 times when we went on a school trip to spain. I have to say Anaconda is a much much smoother ride, you get a hell of a lot wetter, the water is clean!!! and its a much nicer experiance. I dont want to say that Loggers isnt bad, but if I could choose which one I would prefer at thorpe park, it would have to be Anaconda, although there really isnt much in terms of themeing it is a much nicer ride, which shows theming isnt everything

Fair enough if that's the case, but do you know this to be fact or is it just presumption? It just seems a bit odd to me - too much noise pollution from little clickers, rush booming and people screaming on Colossus a few yards away. Every other log flume type that I can remember riding (and I'm sure Thorpe used to) has them out all the time, so they don't require any power or sensor control and are therefore totally fail safe. I know the boats don't move when the belt stops, I'm talking belt breaking (which can happen, I've seen it myself on dragon falls).

I'll blow this conversation back open and back you up here - I've helped refit the ones on Dragon Falls when the springs and the like have broken and it is an anti rollback system - in the event that the main conveyor belt did snap. Yes the ride will stop more than safely but anti grip will rarely work well enough to hold a boat load of potentially 500kg from slipping down the hill - what if the belt snaps, as Pluk has pointed out?Whoever thinks that 'it's meant to be like that' is talking total cottage cheese - all the ones on Dragon Falls are working and click properly onto the boats! If one was broken, the ride wouldn't open!

Whoever thinks that 'it's meant to be like that' is talking total cottage cheese - all the ones on Dragon Falls are working and click properly onto the boats! If one was broken, the ride wouldn't open!

So what, loggers leap is aloud to open why? Its been like it for years, if it was a problem, like dragon falls it wouldn’t open surely..

I went Monday and was a really nice ride on loggers I love it ! I went on 5 times in the day and gets better and better every time and the staff were really friendly and bought two photos too :P . The change if design in tunnel looks good too and I'm sure I got wetter this time too :)

So what, loggers leap is aloud to open why? Its been like it for years, if it was a problem, like dragon falls it wouldn’t open surely..

*allowed I'd say a valid point has been raised, daily inspections minimise the risk of the belt snapping but in the event that it does it is quite clear that the counter measures have not been properly maintained. Just because something has been like that for years doesnt make it ok...

Yes but people are aloud to assume stuff like that because it has affectively become the norm. You know to wake up in the mornings and brush your teath because its become to norm, we've grown to expect it from Loggers. Whilst that may not be good, it's just the way it is. Btw Smiffy, spot the spelling mistakes.

I'd say a valid point has been raised, daily inspections minimise the risk of the belt snapping but in the event that it does it is quite clear that the counter measures have not been properly maintained. Just because something has been like that for years doesnt make it ok..

And now the whole top half has been fixed (or is now broken, if you think they should be in) with its backstops all out, some looking shiny and new. I had a quick flick through you tube; vids from 2006 had all the stops out then chronologically to today there are gradually less and less.

What has changed!?

Indeed, I didn't notice a thing different last week?

Yes but people are aloud to assume stuff like that because it has affectively become the norm. You know to wake up in the mornings and brush your teath because its become to norm, we've grown to expect it from Loggers. Whilst that may not be good, it's just the way it is. Btw Smiffy, spot the spelling mistakes.

What is the point you're making with loggers there exactly? I have no intention of correcting your spelling. I merely find the over zealous moderating here amusing