Plopsaland de Panne

Benin

• 4 weeks later...

Certainly looks impressive, and given the quality of the park overall, I'd be confident of the concept art being a fair reflection of the final result.

Opening in 18 months seems a little ambitious though?  After all, that's pretty much the same time it'll have taken them to build and theme Heidiland.

• 3 weeks later...

Visited the park today; Heidi still isn't open.  Fences are being put around the ride to dull the noise, as it's currently too loud for the neighbours liking.  Temporary queue line and everything else is ready to go though. 

The Princessa castle looks phenomenal in person, but it's completely ridiculous for a set of teacups and a restaurant (no walk through in sight).  Hopefully some other places around the park receive attention soon.

20160701_163153.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Almost 3 weeks later and Heidi still isn't open.  Why you ask...

As of 2 days ago, the park no longer has a valid environmental permit.  The park remains open, but by the park's director's own admission, they are open against the law.  As such, the park could face a large fine or even closure, at least until they get a valid permit.  And with some lawyers encouraging locals to make complaints about Plopsaland, things are looking a bit worrying for the park at the moment.

From what I can tell, Heidi is now ready to open, but they don't want to risk it in case it agitates locals.  Plopsaland are also looking into taking legal action against the company they hired to look after all their environmental issues.

Sources:

http://www.looopings.nl/weblog/5770/Plopsaland-open-zonder-vergunning-Ik-heb-slapeloze-nachten.html

http://www.looopings.nl/weblog/5780/Plopsaland-durft-nieuwe-houten-achtbaan-niet-te-openen.html

Or they could relocate to Camelot's old site even.

On a serious note, this sounds very worrying for the park. The things they've done recently look superb and it would be a massive shame if they were forced to shut down. Fingers crossed this works out for them as this situation could severely dent or murder the future of what looked to be an upcoming park.

3 hours ago, Benin said:

As if it would ever come to it being shut down, they bring so much to the local area (the lawyers telling locals to moan are being typical lawyers drumming up business), and any application will be rushed through very quickly...

Have some sense and logic about this guys...

I never doubted for a moment that forced closure of a theme park would actually be happening. However in a world post Blackfish and things, any thing could happen.

Hopeful chances are this park will be able renew its environmental licence in due time. If the situation relates to the park getting a fine from the authority, the park could surely claim legal action against those who were supposed to validate the licence (as Baron said). 

This then just leaves the problem with the woodie. Depending how well the outcome is, how will they reduce noise levels considering original testing was too loud? High fences, sound tunnels, specific materials to quieten the roar, preventing guests from screaming? Surely not.

Safe to say this is sort of a Plopsa style situation to what happened at Paultons 6/7 years ago. Hopefully they've got this.

Worth mentioning now that Plopsa have removed all reference to Heidi on their website.  A new permit will take a few weeks to sort out, so I imagine Heidi will reappear then.

Long term I don't think the park have anything to worry about, but this has attracted a lot of attention in the Belgian media.  Though with their big new ride not opening any time soon and some negative press going their way, it might not the best summer for the park...

Though hopefully this will be sorted. I do wonder whether Heidi will initially now be opening in 2017 instead as by the time the permit situation is sorted the high summer season will be over.

safe to say I can see future developments such as the hotel pushed back a year or so, if they can even still happen.