Ride Me and Ride It T Shirts

stretchy

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alton remove the RIDE IT and RIDE ME merch?

• Yes - It is extremely sexist and should be removed immediately.
    • No - Its just a silly slogan like "Kiss Me Quick" did my grandads time.

I like how it just seemed like that 'controversy' was click bait to draw people in to bear witness to yet more scare mongering on behalf of the Daily Mail.

Whilst I haven't voted in the poll, purely because I have always been a bit iffy with seeing those slogans, yet I hadn't even realised that they were gender specific and wouldn't march around screaming about how disgusting this is yada yada yada, but I have always seen them and frowned internally if you will. 

I may sound incredibly conservative and whatnot, but I don't think that it's something that will influence young people, and I think that essentially suggesting that should a female wear said top it would make them a more susceptible target (because that's how it works, right?) is incredibly ludicrous. Of course, it may cause comments to be made, which can be horrible and make an individual feel incredibly vulnerable, but as a young female myself, I've never been interested in their t-shirts as much, and if I ever have purchased a t-shirt from a Merlin park or any other place, I like it to show that I've been to said place, otherwise it's a waste of money I feel. 

So even though I have always found it a bit of a bold move, I do not strictly condemn the parks for selling them, nor do I think that they should be torn off the shelves. 

(Sorry if that was quite jumbled, I have never been the best at putting a point across concisely)

Just as an asside, I have met Mr Fry twice and both times he was extremely un-tossery when I would have been much more tossery, He was, both times. rather shy, and extremely unassumimg. The first time I met him, I honstly couldn't have put up with as many people asking for autographs, photos and saying stupid things as he did, and he did them all with a smile, even though as soon as he got out of the public area he seemed to be drained by it all. I was co-organising the event he was at and yet when I asked him if he was ok, he positioned his smile and said that he was fine. I have met a few celebs and they are either, like Mr Fry was, try really hard to keep a facard of smiles, or they are complete self centred divas. They are all just people. It all made me realise that I wouldn't hoist fame on my worst enemy. Cameras steal your soul, you know, dont believe me? Just look around you.

Back on topic. Paige made an interesting point.

Who would buy this? I think its a 'jock' mentality type of person who would buy and wear these types of clothes and these are people that use sexuality in most of what they wear, so why not this. But the odd thing is to extend that to things like the flashing notebook. (I didnt think the bimbo's could write) - (bimbo and jock are meant asexually here). The only other peole I can think who would buy these T shirts are aimed at gay males, and as a gay male myself (a rubbish one though) I have no interest in advertising my ridability. So I think my only problem with these slogans is the possable target audience they are aimed at. The T shirts I find fine, but the flashing notebook? There were quiet a lot of merch items in the RIde Me.

Perhaps he was just having a bad day when I met him then, although unhappy/miserable celebs off camera isn't a rarity, Nick Knowles was one of the absolute worst I ever met and very rude to those who got within shouting distance of him.

These t-shirts are in a similar vein to the kiss me quick ones you could buy in the seventies, they are harmless humour and I suspect would never have become an issue had the Smiler not happened, but even back then there were many who were offended by them, the irony is those offended by them likely send their children to school in extremely short skirts, which is far more provocotive to some than any words on a T-shirt.

• 1 month later...

I dont think a female/male choosing to wear the shirt is offensive or whatever, people can wear what they like imo.

but as to why thorpe/alton sells these and actually thinks that young people, or most people, really would ever want to wear a t-shirt w/ a slogan this ****e and stupid on it, is beyond me.

it's not an empowering statement at all, but yet again I also wouldnt say anyone who wears one of these shirts is degrading themselves or whatever.

it's just a stupid slogan/innuendo really, that doesn't appeal to anyone in my eyes. not distasteful or anything..just dumb.

no need for anyone to get offended over them :lol: