Bolliger and Mabillard

yeah

Shambhala is the best roller coaster I have ridden.

It's smooth, fast, tall, LAP BAR!!!, the setting is nice (except just after it opened when there was a mud pit for Ankgor, I rode it after Ankgor was built and the setting had improved.

Ride one if you get the chance.

Going to Barcelona? Go to PortAventura.

Going to Germany? Go to Europa Park.

Going to America? There's so many of them there, Carowinds has 2 (1 being a Giga).

Unless planning laws are ever scrapped (won't happen unless Matt Creek party becomes a thing), the only UK parks that could currently build a hyper are Thorpe and Blackpool. Even then, both will encounter many difficulties when building.

I'm yet to experience a B&M hyper myself (PMBO being the only hyper I've done). However that should hopefully be changing in May when I visit Europa for the first time. I'll probably end up doing Shambhala somepoint in 2017 probably and hopefully.

Kinda wish sfmm had there hyper as a b&m one with air time. I prefer air time to intensity personally, and I heard Goliath is intense but lacks air time. Guess I'll find out in 2017. Even though I can't complain as it's sfmm and rr scream and batman look like great b&m coasters

I thought calling shambhala shammy b was a thing...

I do think B&M hypers look great, but they're not comparible to intamin hypers. For floater airtime I'd take B&M any day, however, intamins such as superman (used to be bizzarro), expedition GeForce and skyrush offer something that I don't think B&M hypers have got.

My argument may be considered largely invalid as I have ridden neither a B&M hyper or an Intamin one, but if anyone's ridden a hyper of either manufacturer which one did you prefer?

I generally prefer B&M for their comfort and ease of riding. I find Intamins really need to warm up to be outstanding as Piraten was downright awful in the morning and then outstanding in the late afternoon. Wouldn't be fair to compare Expedition Ge Force because I wasn't a big fan of that especially as the train we were using with the ECC was cold.

Shambhala and SIlver Star are good rides though, no question.

Something that's been on my mind for quite a while:

Nitro goes faster than Silver Star, however Silver Star is taller with a longer drop. Nitro's drop angle is only 0.5 degrees steeper which is too small to have an effect.

Does anyone know why Nitro is faster?

Plus, I still need an answer as to why Silver Star has that huge cover on the side of the drop.

Nitro is 80mph, Shambhala is 83.3mph according to RCDB. So Nitro is not faster; would be interested to know where it's said it is?

I'd have assumed the cover on Silver Star's drop is to minimise the noise of screams to non-park goers.

Equoaster never said that Nitro was the fastest hyper, just faster than Silver Star. So he was never comparing the speed to that of Shambhala (the fastest hyper).

Equoaster, do you know if they use different wheels?

I seem to have completely misread the post and gotten Silver Star and Shambhala confused. Whoops :blush:

Though it is worth pointing out that some parks will slightly exaggerate a ride's speed (after all, people can't accurately measure it themselves). Since RCDB and the like will use figures that a park claims, it can mean they are a little off. Hence why there can be such oddities.

I have recently been deciding whether I prefer B&M or Intamin.

My conclusion Is B&M, however both companies could, improve.

Firstly I'm surprised Intamin haven't tried to use a model of B&M as inspiration for a new type of coaster. Intamin's coasters are all sitting above the track (bar Volcano and Baco) and the company need to introduce their own invert, their own wing coaster, their own dice coaster ETC. All of which are popular B&M models.

In addition, B&M could learn from Intamin. B&M did their first launch coaster with Thunderbird last year. I now think it's time for them to start creating launch coasters regularly.

I'd love to see an Intamin wing coaster (again excluding Baco) and I'd love to see B&M regularly install launch coasters.

I've always thought that Intamin and B&M work perfectly in different ways and there isn't really a need for B&M to suddenly go after the launch market for example, especially as Mack have pretty much taken over Intamin's stranglehold. 

Admittedly Intamin launches are faster then Macks but then Mack have better designs, smoother and better trains and are more reliable rollercoasters

Both companies say they don't make models of ride types unless someone asks them to. Wasted energy and resources. If a park approached B&M asking for a family coaster (see happy valley) They'll cater for that. If a park asks for B&M to do a launch coaster (Holiday Park), They'll cater for that. B&Ms are a lot more expensive then intamins, and have become renowned for being extremely intricate and fantastic huge rides, not so much for smaller coasters. I do agree, I'd love to see more launch rides from B&M, but they won't happen unless parks ask for them. As with intamin, they have spread themselves out a fair bit further then most other ride companies, so they tend to be beaten in different markets by companies who are more renwoned for creating a specific ride (inverts, Vekoma & B&M, Spinners, Maurer & Mack etc.) 

The reason we aren't seeing more of these slightly obscure rides from producers is they aren't asked for. If something works well, it'll have a higher demand, especially if it's a bit different to everything else. It gives them a USP for the GP