CoasterCrate

MachoMachine

Hello enthusiast pals.

Over the past few weeks I have come across something known as 'CoasterCrate'. Think lootcrate, but for a different kind of geek! Here's some info extracted from their website which can be found here

"
CoasterCrate is a monthly subscription box that celebrates theme parks, roller coasters and immersive themed experiences. Our boxes will include a mix of hand picked official merchandise straight from your favourite theme parks as well as CoasterCrate exclusive items inspired by your favourite parks and attractions."

They've recently released a pre-order for BoxZero, which'll be the *pilot* essentially of this to see how well it kicks off! I've pre-ordered mine which should be here by December so I'll be sure to throw a lil' review up, but I though some of you might be interested if you're into merchandise and all that stuff!
I'm not affiliated with CoasterCrate in any way but if they wanna hit me up (hint hint) they can. ;) 

The people who are starting this up posted on another forum and were widely derided.

I don't see how it can work. Who wants merch for parks they've never been to and rides they've never been on? And this market is too niche for this to ever be viable and operate on a scale which makes it worthwhile to them or to any park which might consider being involved. 

af9853e711654c613a774d1bfeeaa01b45549c37fa543fa36c3946481006b634.jpg

Why would people want stuff from parks they've never visited though? Like, I can't understand it at all, ride merch is predominantly memories of a particular ride or park that you have physically been too, so what good is it to me to have a box of say, DisneySea tat, when I've never been? Do I get to pretend I have and show off to others that I have that stuff?

They're also way too optimistic that parks will sign up to this, way too optimistic...

I like to have merchandise from parks I personally haven't been to and others do too, helps me look into new parks! it's only starting up so it'll be interesting to see how far it goes and what actually is inside the box. It sounds like some parks have taken interest already but when it comes I will give the full low-down on the insides. 

Hello all! We just stumbled across this thead and thought we'd provide some clarity!

We do have arrangements with interested parks and they will be supplying us with merchandise. We can't say who yet, but will as soon as we are ready. 

We realise it's not for everyone and that's fine, but to us and for others it's about experiencing a small part of parks that you might either not know about or can't get to. 

We will be more than happy to answer any more questions anyone has! And yes we are legit - if your skeptical let us know and we'll meet up with you and discuss CoasterCrate over a beer or two...

"Can't get to"

There is no operational park that comes under that category, and even if we're talking monetary reasoning, you have the old thing of those able to flush disposable income down the drain on this sorta thing being the ones who could put that money towards going to these parks...

I doubt getting a fridge magnet or shirt from a lesser known park (say Duinrell or Familypark Austria) is going to convince people to go out and visit either... If someone has basically chosen to spend money on getting merch without visiting in the first place, I cannot see tat changing their mind...

So it's a niche product in a niche market where a high percentage of people involved won't partake in it for various reasons...

2 hours ago, Benin said:

"Can't get to"

There is no operational park that comes under that category, and even if we're talking monetary reasoning, you have the old thing of those able to flush disposable income down the drain on this sorta thing being the ones who could put that money towards going to these parks...

I doubt getting a fridge magnet or shirt from a lesser known park (say Duinrell or Familypark Austria) is going to convince people to go out and visit either... If someone has basically chosen to spend money on getting merch without visiting in the first place, I cannot see tat changing their mind...

So it's a niche product in a niche market where a high percentage of people involved won't partake in it for various reasons...

Yes, of course we are talking about the fact that not everyone can afford expensive European theme park trips. They're a hell of a lot more expensive than £25!

Like stated in my original post - it's not for everyone - and you're in that category, but there's a load of people who are interested and who have pre-ordered (and a bunch of parks who are partaking in it ;)

Thanks for your opinion though :)