The News

Phyciodes

Thing is - and I was saying this in Mania Hub Chat earlier tonight - that now that the riots have spread over nearly the entire East London area and are spreading as far adrift as Birmingham as we speak, these people have forgotten what they're protesting for. It was the death of one man; a tragic accident (debatable, I know). And now it seems like some anti-Establishment uprising. But it's not like it can have that term even loosely thrown at it. Sure, it was the intention of many of the silent protesters that the policeman's shooting should not have been handled so (others would argue that their current situational control is too forceful), but these protests are now at the point that anyone fond of a little violence or anti-social conduct can join in for the fun of it.They appear to have forgotten what they're protesting about and how to go about it (not that this was ever in a rational state of consideration). They seem to be fighting for the thrill of battling the Establishment instead of the justice of the man shot by the policeman. Stereotyping the police force and the state politicians as people who "don't do their jobs" rather than regarding them as real human beings (probably justified to a line, but these riots pass over that line till said line is a mere dot in the distance), who can make mistakes as easily as the protesters themselves. But were the police to use equally as violent forms of keeping the protesters in check, the media would feast on them like a school of piranhas. They'd exploit them and claim they were being "too forceful" and again resisting their duties and contributing to the violence, creating this hideous monopoly of responsibility in which the protesters are wreaking havoc wherever possible and the police are completely powerless against the flames and the rioting crowds.But you must also understand that we can't really know what is truly happening if we're not in the heat of the action. The media will only show what the viewers want to hear; what's going to get them viewing/listening to their channels and generally creating a buzz. The media barely mentioned this uproar was in the silent protesting stages because, seriously, when isn't there a few people gathered will some signs, chanting a feeble protest? Now that's it's something nationwide and extremely dangerous, the media are having a field day relaying the most important and terrifying information and generally feeding the country-wide hysteria.

Never have I felt so ill at being a human being. To know that these riots are now happening only a bus journey away from where I live or 5 minutes walk from where the fella lives makes me feel scared and afraid if I'm honest. Yes the media is feeding this but, I read the BBC news app and the list of places where things are being destroyed, peoples homes set on fire and ransacked, it's too hard to ignore.The worst part is it is no longer about Mark Duggen's death and now its about selfish human greed. It's the police on the front line, its the people watching their 5th generation businesses going up in smoke that are going to be the real victims in this. It's disgusting. We are worse then any creature or being.

I take back what I said earlier, it's not about selfish human greed, it's about the dark side of humanity. It's about people that don't even deserve to be part of the human race because some of the things that happened last night have no place in society.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024001/Forced-strip-naked-street-Shocking-scenes-rioters-steal-clothes-rifle-bags-people-make-way-home.htmlIt's absolutely sick and vile.

I'm planning to pop down to the Croydon clean-up at some point today, and I suggest that if you're near an area that needs the help, go out and do it...Can't let the scumbags who did this win...

I really want to but I'm on lates at work and it starts at 11. Agreed with Benin though, lets show that you can burn down the buildings but you cannot kill the community and togetherness.

If I lived nearer a damaged area, I'd definitely contribute to cleaning up the havoc these people have caused. It just seems like such a crying shame that no matter how much cleaning and repair work is done, nothing will repair the people whose homes and livelihoods have been destroyed by riots and fire. I mean, that business in Croydon that's been there since the 1800s is gone; burnt to the ground. In Camden the same happened to the music venue Electric Ballroom; ravaged by a fire just for the thrill of it.Who cares about the large businesses like Gregg's, Dominoes, McDonald's or Starbucks getting raided and their food stocks stolen: they are huge companies who can pay for the damage. Small independent business dotted through London have been destroyed through disrupted youths feasting off the damage and suffering they're causing to these people.Heaven forbid someone actually gets shot and dies in these riots (there was apparently a "non-fatal" shooting in the south London area last night). I mean, can you imagine? There'd be public outcry and the media will feed it till there's no tomorrow, but it'll only fuel the "anger" and "reason to fight" for about ten rioters and then it'll all snowball again and more people will be mindlessly sweeping through cities and towns with no intention of restoring justice, but for tipping justice way off-balance, so much so that the scales break due to gang violence and oppression overcoming any forms of prevention, which are now diluted substantially enough that all this anarchist behaviour is ruining our country even further.

First fatality... The bloke in Croydon who was shot died in hospital...This is a complete joke and travesty... They do not respect the police and the police cannot do anything to them for whatever reason we're being given... Just let the police beat down a few of them and then they'll realise the consequences of doing this stuff results in a bloody beatdown...

I suggest using this website if you want to help out. http://www.riotcleanup.com/Interesting twist.

Here’s a sad truth, expressed by a Londoner when asked by a television reporter: Is rioting the correct way to express your discontent?“Yes,” said the young man. “You wouldn’t be talking to me now if we didn’t riot, would you?”The TV reporter from Britain’s ITV had no response. So the young man pressed his advantage. “Two months ago we marched to Scotland Yard, more than 2,000 of us, all blacks, and it was peaceful and calm and you know what? Not a word in the press. Last night a bit of rioting and looting and look around you.”

- MSNBC.com’s World BlogToo bad the message was lost when shops were looted.

First fatality... The bloke in Croydon who was shot died in hospital...Just let the police beat down a few of them and then they'll realise the consequences of doing this stuff results in a bloody beatdown...

This is just going to escalate now. That man's death is going to spark more and more violence and faux fighting for justice which will just end as a repeat of last night.People were suggesting water cannons last night. But there's a law against use of water cannons for riot control in the UK isn't there? Other suggestions from social media users was the enforcement of martial law (the imposition of military rules and regulations by military authorities over designated regions on an emergency basis - usually only temporary - when the civilian authorities and government fails). Either way will lead to more havoc though because of the harsher riot controlling laws under the military regime would mean more physical contact to diminish rioting - which could result in hospitalisation of the rioters and military, which will again fuel violence. Water cannons wouldn't be a great solution either - they can do some serious damage; a man in Stuttgart was left blinded by one after it shot him in the face. I'd post an image but it's probably not appropriate on the forums.

But there's a law against use of water cannons for riot control in the UK isn't there?

No, but there's consequences.. A lot of drying to do.Using water cannons create a whole them against us thing which they don't wanna do. It could escalate. But my god, it'd stop these fires.