The News

Phyciodes

In other news I'm disappointed to hear about comments made on Twitter by Paris Brown, the Youth Police and Crime Commissioner in Kent. Only last Thursday did I listen to the report on Newsbeat about her new job - I was listening and thinking how mature she sounded, and that hopefully she wouldn't trip up. I didn't expect to hear of this 3 days later, although I'm not surprised, as nothing surprises me these days.

This news has now split peoples opinion on whether she should keep her job. I say yes. A simple mistake, she apologised promptly, and deserves a second chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not saying they've had a bad upbringing, but there is quite a bit to suggest this. There seems to be a lot of family issues going on at the moment to. Her brother disagreeing with her seeing her mother. The grandma being found out of neglect a few months back. The constant press releases of the family sueing more people and keeping Michaela death in the public eye must not be that great for the kids with constant remindment, whilst growing up the bad press their dad was getting at one point must of been tough. And also in terms of Paris someone else claiming they are her dad. All of this must be pretty tough on the poor girl.

I'm not saying its bad upbringing (bad phrasing on my part) but it does sound like there is still some odd going ons in the Jackson household and what I named above must be pretty tough emotional situations try had to face whilst growing up.

I think the bigger problem is why the hell do we even know about it? What has it got to do with anyone? The fact that the world knows about this is not exactly going to aid her recovery, she's a kid who hasn't chosen to be in the public eye and there can not be any public interest in her medical situation being disclosed. It is just voyeuristic non news.

When I saw the little clip about it on the breakfast news this morning it made me really angry, I actually turned it over. This happens to many many people every day and it is their own business, no one elses. This sounds a bit harsh but why does anyone care anyway, beyond the same feelings of not wanting anyone to have to go through it that is? Most people wouldn't even know the girl if she walked past them in the street, me included.

I suppose the exposure of mental health and related issues through this reporting could be seen as a good thing, if it gives people an awareness of it. But I can not see how that can outway the harm it is likely to cause the girl. The way to get this sort of thing in the public eye is with the consent of the victim on their terms in a way that might actually help them, like Stephen Fry did on the same day the Paris story broke, not like this.

A lot of the press should be very very ashamed of themselves, as should the people who buy the papers and magazines with this crap on the front encouraging them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25163045

Just last week I was at our local police helicopter base here in Essex, got to have a good look around it inside and out while it was on the ground and chat with the pilot and staff then watched it lift for some pretty stunning manoeuvres. Following from that only yesterday we were discussing the possibility of something like this happening and how it is amazing it doesn't, then it goes and happens.

I hope all involved are OK, but frankly it doesn't look good for those on board at the least. Got to wonder if the lack of fire is indicative of a lack of fuel in the helicopter when it came down, surely it would have burnt if any amount of fuel was present?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I read that a lady had a television fall onto her in a Tesco store somewhere! I thought us Brits were better than that! 

Alas no, the pack mentality survives in us apparently placid Brits. If only people could be that passionate about other things like helping the homeless or saving the children. 

• 11 months later...

France. What the hell?!

Why do they keep getting hit? How can they stop it? Will we see the same thing here?

I'm not particularly looking forward to working the next few days. Stay safe all.

I think its only a matter of time before the UK sees a terrorist attack on this scale. It can't be stopped. All we can do is remain vigilant, live our lives to the full and show solidarity with any country who sees an attack. Whether it's France, Russia, Egypt, Denmark, Tunisia or countless others that have been attacked in the past couple of years.