Rameses Revenge

Dan9

If they are running the same cycle - Ripsaw spins 4-5 times in a row, and is faster. Fact.

Ripsaws water depends on the weather - they're not allowed to wet you on cold/wet days. Last year the fountains were lowered so they could never reach, this year they're higher than they've been for years.

• 4 months later...

Rameses has seats either side where you don't get wet, Ripsaw doesn't from what I can see.

Plus Ripsaw seems to have a pants cycle where as Rameses seems to have a much better cycle, more full flips, where as Ripsaw seems to go round and not do a great lot.

I think they would get more people ride it if they had dedicated seats for people who want to ride, but don't want to get wet. Plus with different settings, they can have a gentle ride, then a full on ride. Why not have the main queue split into two Queue 1 for a dry gentle ride, queue 2 for a more intense and wet ride...

Same program. Definitely know which one's better to watch and be on ;).

(For reference: Can't compare the first cycle on Rameses, purely because it's **** and Ripsaw doesn't have one like it.. best one to compare is programme 7, look on towers street forum to see which one that is).

Ripsaw only uses prog 4 (the one with the spins) on very busy days. Prog 7 (see above) is more usual, or p8 if it's really quiet - recently p8 hasn't even been managing a single flip, with the gondola rolling back rather than going all the way over. The result can even be more intense than when it manages to complete the flip. A collection of videos of all the settings (except the rare 'custom' ones) can be found on the Towers Street wiki.

I've always felt that Rameses seems to being deliberately run on settings that minimise the stress on the ride to try and keep it going as long as possible. The ride experience is pretty poor as a result. Ripsaw can be hit and miss, but at it's best is far more thrilling than Rameses whilst simulateously being a far less unpleasant experience.

• 4 weeks later...

The Towers Street Wiki is designed as a tongue in cheek reference for Alton Towers.

It is not to be taken seriously!

On a more serious note, Rameses is not getting any younger. Alton Towers have identified Ripsaw as a ride reaching the end of its life, and will need replacing over the course of the next few years... Rameses is even older.

The thought of CWOA losing this - the only genuine thrill attraction - is worrying.

Or to counter that argument - chessington is for families with kids up to about 12ish (maybe older, cant remember official line). Kids hit 1.4m when they're about 8, so the older kids can go on these rides. These family rides. As it's a family park. Family.

Bored/irritated of the old IT'S THRILLING IT SHOULDN'T BE THERE/RUN LIKE THIS thing. That's what ruined chessington in the first place, whilst alienating half of their actual audience ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Guys how scary is this? And how wet do you get?

I am getting a merlin annual pass for next year and I am gonna go to chessingtons annual pass day as thorpe don't have one!

Just wondering how scary is this actually especially when you flip? Also when you get lowered into water how wet d you actually get- it looks wet but I've got no clue! Also where do you need to sit to get wet? How many seats are there which soak riders?

Thanks guys- looking forward to zufari and sw7 aswell ;)

It's no scarier than it looks, so if you like the look of it you'll be OK!

Chessington run the ride with two settings at once, halfway through after a tame bit you can get off if you don't like it before it does the actual spinning. As for the wetness I believe it barely splashes you any more, but it is certainly capable of absolutely drenching you. The edge 4 seats on both sides of both rows are totally dry, but that defies the point. Sit in the middle and do the whole thing - you'll be fine!

I really enjoyed it although it was on a pretty lame setting I believe - the thing I didn't like was how tight the restraints are but then there is obvs a reason for that! Ride op did ask if we wanted another go and I was the only person to say no due to feeling uncomfortable.

Well I did watch a vid on youtube and the first time round it gives you a rubbish setting but then you do the crazy flipping on the second cycle!

• 2 weeks later...

It does kinda make the ride look worse, however rameses is a great ride in itself and I'm sure having a big whole and being able to see loads of wires isn't putting people off going on it ;)

As for having the hole, I sware all topspins have the whole in the bottom of the seating area(is that what it's called?) so I think it is nothing to do with maintenance, I'm not sure though!

All the top spins have a plate which should cover that hole. Ripsaw for example has the plate which says "Will you cut it?" or something like that. The engineers know what they are doing so they would cover the hole up if it was absolutely necessary for the safe operation of the ride but I personally think it would look a little different covered up.

It's probably the same as the case of Samurai no longer having the red and yellow circular emblem plate covering the centre of the ride arm; they found themselves needing to get to the parts up there often and thought they'd save time and by just leave it off permanently.

The bottom cover of the gondola is mostly just there for aesthetic reasons (I.e to cover up the ugly inner-workings), although it does also serve to protect the hydraulic pipes/connections and restraint mechanisms from the powerful water jets. Repeated exposure to the water causes unnecessary wear to ride parts and so as there is no cover, operators are told not to get the bottom of the gondola wet.