London Dungeons

Cringle

The London Dungeons is now part of the merlin/tussauds line up, and has been a popular family attraction for many a year. Recently the dungeons have been installing ride attractions including Xtremis: The Drop Ride to Doom - or sommat. But what do you think - really scary? or just mildly gory. Chat Chat Chat!

I like it. Its not scary for me personally, but its very enjoyable and a great experience! Even if its the most broing wait to get in. Ever. Xtremis has a sort of detty feel about it IMO, its only about 25ft, but it is as if you get pushed down! Fairly intense actually, also considering your in pitch black.

• 1 year later...

I went to the london dungeons yesterday and the priority que (fast track) was longer than the noraml que....they rushed us along and it really spoiled the experiance, thay just played voices on the stereo instead of the actors and special effects..we had 10 secounds in the labaryinth and missed out about two scenes....the only good things where the x tremis drop ride to doom, this big flame that was right next to us (didnt make me jump :/ ) and when jack the ripper jumped up out of the dark and the lights flashed in the pub....the boat ride was ok...not much themeing just pitch black, and the boats had changed, the drop wasnt a drop......the xtremis drop ride to doom on ride photo was £7 for a single so I just bought the xtremis drop ride photo and the photo you pose for at the begining for 2 for a tenner.

when I went my aunti used to work as an actor, I was realy scared cause was 9 or 10. all I rember saying "does this boat ride do any loopdeloops," the other guy said "I dont know," I was scared the whole boat ride. the best part of it all was, I did not have to wait to get in my auntie got us right to the front.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this is true but I have heard that there are rides that you have to ride before you move on to the next part of the attraction.What ride or rides are they?

The main ride is called The River of death. It's just a straight forward boat ride which goes down the hill backwards at the end. Think Bubbleworks, but shorter and with out all the noise.The other one is kind of like Detinator at Thorpe park. it's meant to show you how you get exicuted, lucky for me though I managed to avoid going on it (it's right at the end!).There's no other rides as such, but to experience the hairdresser part you do need to lie down on a bench. Think 4 d (with out all the good 4d bits!)Hope you enjoy it if you decide to go

The main ride is called The River of death. It's just a straight forward boat ride which goes down the hill backwards at the end. Think Bubbleworks, but shorter and with out all the noise.The other one is kind of like Detinator at Thorpe park. it's meant to show you how you get exicuted, lucky for me though I managed to avoid going on it (it's right at the end!).There's no other rides as such, but to experience the hairdresser part you do need to lie down on a bench. Think 4 d (with out all the good 4d bits!)Hope you enjoy it if you decide to go

Thank you very much for your detailed responce! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

No, not as far as I know.

You used to be able too, back in the early 90's. They changed the atraction round though, I think mainly to prevent so many people in one section. I remember going when I was like 11 or 12, people just went back to do stuff time and time again. Now if you want to do it just go back to the exit and go again. I think the more times you do it the better it gets anyway.

I went to The London Dungeons yesterday and it was amazing!There were some great scenes where I was scared sh**less! (Which is not that hard to make me scared ;))The boat ride was ok but the last drop ride was amazing! I loved it!Scenes were really detailed and extremely well themed.To answer question about re-rides above.I tried yesterday to re-ride an attraction and I was told that you can't.To be fair, It was really busy, but anything is worth a try I feel! ;) Maybe if it was quieter, then they might have allowed it.Anyway... Dungeons is amazing, and I would definately reconmend it as an attraction to visit!

How long does it take? becuase I was thinking of going up next year when I get my Merlin Pass and doing The Dungeons and Madame Tussauds in the same day.

The Dungeons take about 2 hours, and it's really up to you how long you spend in Madame Tussauds. You could rush and do it in half an hour, or you could take your time and do it in 2/3 hours.

The Dungeons take about 2 hours, and it's really up to you how long you spend in Madame Tussauds. You could rush and do it in half an hour, or you could take your time and do it in 2/3 hours.

Cool thanks, is The London Dungeons as scary as some of the mazes at Thorpe?

The Dungeons are much better themed than the mazes at Thorpe, but it's all down to opinion as to whether they are scarier or not. Personally, I think they are much scarier. Having a whole 2 hour attraction themed purely on horror, and not knowing what is going to jump out at you at anytime during that time is truely terrifying for me.

The Dungeons are much better themed than the mazes at Thorpe, but it's all down to opinion as to whether they are scarier or not. Personally, I think they are much scarier. Having a whole 2 hour attraction themed purely on horror, and not knowing what is going to jump out at you at anytime during that time is truely terrifying for me.

Thats a good point, although, its not like the mazes at Thorpe aren't themed well, I think the Asylum is very well themed also you have to remember that Thorpe puts these on at Fright Nights and two of the mazes are temporary, The Dungeons is an all year around attraction, the mazes at Thorpe aren't, thus Thorpe mainly concentrating on rides and The Dungeons concentrating on horror, if that makes sense.

Also what Fright Nights offer compared to The Dungeons is different. The Dungeons is there to scare you yes, but its main focus is to educate through horror. If anyone has ever visited The Dungeons, you'd know what I mean. The Actors aren't there to jump out at you from corners and ceilings, like Scare Mazes. Fright Nights is purely there to scare you, there's nothing educational about them.Hope that makes a little more sense

• 1 month later...

Visited the dungeons yesterday, heres a quick reviewGot there about 11 (ish) and waited two hours (we knew it was going to be about this wait when we planned it) The main problem with the queue is that stupid photo thing before you enter, they could at elast add few more photo rooms so to let a few groups through at a time. ...Moving onto different bits in the attraction... The new surgery section was good, one person is picked to demonstrate various medical methods back in that time. For the final part the actor holds a giant axe, the curtain is pulled across, the room goes dark and suddenly water sprays at you. I found it quite effective but it was over rather quickly.As always the court room was hilarious, even though the judge messed up her script several times. The boat ride stills bores me to the core, the effects are pretty lame and its not at all thrilling. For me it doesn't live up to the thrill of the rest of the attraction.Jack the ripper section was much better than I remembered. I was right at the front in the pub section and so got a fantastic view of Jack. It was very effective and even made me jump for a second or two.Sadly the drop ride didn't live up to the first time I rode it, the whole element of fear was gone and I was unimpressed by the animatronics at the top. I feel they could have done a lot more to add to the atmosphere here, maybe a few more strobes and some better effects at the top. Overall it was a good visit, I probably wont be coming back for a few more years till some new bits have been added.

:) I visited yesterday, it was my first visit and I had a great time. The whole attraction flowed really well and not once did I lose a sense of where I was supposed to be. I did however think the boat ride was great :) Does anyone know the manufacturer?Also I was disappointed with Extremis, I had heard great reviews, but there wasn't a wait, obviously because you go round in groups and I don't see why it's therefore so short. One drop towers work when there tall, but shorter towers need a bit more. Does anyone know the manufacturer of this either :P ?Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. But a 1 hour and 30 min queue to get in was a bit much, and that was in the Priority access queue!