Alton Towers News

Dan9

I swear Merlin have more powercuts in 1 season than I do in 10 years.From Towerstimes: Reports are coming in of a large power cut that affected rides and operations late this morning for around 60 - 90 minutes.Some of the parks top rides including Nemesis, Air, Ripsaw, Duel, Rapids and Runaway Mine Train were reported to be affected by the power outage.Guests were evacuated and led to safety on most rides, however it was also reported that some guests were stranded throughout the ordeal on both the Monorail and Skyride, whose operations were also impacted at the same time.The park has extended its ride close today from 5pm until 7pm (an extra 2 hours) as "compensation" for the incident.

• 3 weeks later...

Some news about about the price of on-ride photos increasing at Alton has been posted on Towers Times.

That picture of you hanging over the edge on Oblivion, or as you accelerate to 100km/h in 2.5 seconds on Rita will now cost Ā£7.00 - up from Ā£6.00.The most recent price rise for photographs was in 2007 when a Ā£1 increase was made (up from Ā£5). It means that the cost of on ride photo's has risen by around 40% since during the 2007 season.Picsolve UK, who are contracted to fulfill all photography requirements at the resort, have left 5 Photo Passes unchanged at Ā£20 - meaning that this now saves you Ā£15 on 5 singles. Double photo's are also unchanged at Ā£10 - which saves you Ā£4. Mousemats and other associated items have also gone up.Posted by AstroDan

I do hope this isn't going to be the start of prices at Thorpe and Chessington being pushed up as well. On-ride photos are not worth Ā£7.

I thought they were Ā£7 at Thorpe already?Also, from Thorpe's website - 'Want to see the look on your face as you take on the ultimate test on SAW - The Ride, do 0-80mph in 2 seconds on Stealth, or zoom through the 8th of 10 terrifying loops on Colossus?'I could have sworn the photo is only taken after the fifth inversion?

I thought they were Ā£7 at Thorpe already?Also, from Thorpe's website - 'Want to see the look on your face as you take on the ultimate test on SAW - The Ride, do 0-80mph in 2 seconds on Stealth, or zoom through the 8th of 10 terrifying loops on Colossus?'I could have sworn the photo is only taken after the fifth inversion?

It is the 5th. (Loop, Cobra Roll, Corkscrew, Corkscrew)2nd Corkscrew.THORPE PARK got something wrong...AGAIN! :)

The pictures are not worth the money, Annual Pass holders don't even get a discount, do they? Good for a laugh when you've just come off a ride but not to buy. They're really strict about you photographing them now, understandably.

The only occasion when a ride photo is good to buy, is if you either live in another country (or this country), and your visit to Thorpe Park is going to be a once in a life time experience. This way, you can keep a nice memory of Thorpe Park. However, for people that visit once a month, even once a year, I can't see how any of the photo merchandise can be worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

The pictures are not worth the money, Annual Pass holders don't even get a discount, do they? Good for a laugh when you've just come off a ride but not to buy. They're really strict about you photographing them now, understandably.

Yes, annual pass holders receive a 20% discount.