Oblivion

AltonThorpe

Just wondering, Is there a stroryline behind Oblivion (like Hex and nemesis) becuase I can remember reading somewhere it had something to do with the millitary?!

I'd say it's sorta military but really it's to do with the unknown. The story is on the X-Sector entrance signage so maybe one day someone will take the time to read it. :angry2:

Oblivion is based around fear, the unknown and the "oh shhiiiiiiii*" factor.It's videos are all about you didn't choose to come to Alton Towers, the thought was implanted into your brain by Oblivion and it then goes onto to show the fear you will experience etc.The videos are here if you'd like to watch them.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNfgJZZyfCghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvoBcftWvhw...feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi51l30ddtQ...feature=relatedThe 3rd one is my personal favourite for building up fear of the unknown :angry2:

It's not a case of B&M building 'a tester ride' at Alton, it's more of a case that B&M following Nemesis, have always had a very close relationship with the Towers and when it comes to their roller coasters, Alton always like to stand out (and always have done) and so they see what's on the drawing boards at B&M.With Oblivion, it's pretty documented, that Air was going to come first, but with the obvious design differences, Oblivion leap frogged it and I believe, following signing for the prototype dive machine, the park got the rights to the ride type for a few years, thus none were built else where for a while.Oblivion is fantastic in every way. The queueline videos build you up, each one a tad more frantic, until on the ride...a holding brake...and one final 'don't look down..' (until we lost that). Oblivion is sheer drama all over, theatre and works well for it. The ride is massive and noisy and still packs more of a punch than most other roller coasters I've ever ridden around the world. (I'd swap Oblivion for Saw, ANYDAY).In regard for SW6, on paper it looks well, nothing really, but I have no worry what so ever, that Alton will pull something original out of the bag and will continue to lead the way with their roller coasters.One final thing, Oblivion was originally planned to have an inversion coming from the underground tunnel, but Tussauds didn't want to pay the extra and in my opinion, who needs it? Oblivion is fantastic.

I'd say it's sorta military but really it's to do with the unknown. The story is on the X-Sector entrance signage so maybe one day someone will take the time to read it. :(

I have read it. For anyone here who's never been to Alton Towers and reads that sign before going on it for the first time, I advise them not to read it. Because it could send shivers down the spine of the highest of thrillseekers...except me. :P

Your scared of Rita :D ? I've always thought of that as a family coaster :D ( and also don't look forward to it otherwise you'll be disappointed)Out of interest have you been on Stealth :D ?

I have been on other launched rides in America. e.g. The Hulk and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. I actually enjoyed them but they are like 40 mph (don't quote me) and Rita is 60mph. I must just go on it next time with my eyes shut! :huh: And, No I have not been on Stealth. Tbh, I think I would die if I went on stealth! :D

Ha :huh: . (For your info If you can do Rock 'N' Roller coaster you can do Rita easy :D and I think Rock 'N' Roller coaster is 60 mph) Anyway sorry for going off topic . I know Oblivion has a stupidly high throughput like 1,900 pph or something like that , But whenever I've been lately it seems unpopular, In the Easter holidays Air and nemesis were between 45 and 60 ( Rita was at least 60) and Oblivion was walk-on, Great for me but just made me a feel a bit sorry for old "Blivvy" :D

Ha :huh: . (For your info If you can do Rock 'N' Roller coaster you can do Rita easy :D and I think Rock 'N' Roller coaster is 60 mph) Anyway sorry for going off topic . I know Oblivion has a stupidly high throughput like 1,900 pph or something like that , But whenever I've been lately it seems unpopular, In the Easter holidays Air and nemesis were between 45 and 60 ( Rita was at least 60) and Oblivion was walk-on, Great for me but just made me a feel a bit sorry for old "Blivvy" :D

Ok, you have officially scared me with the speed of R'n'R coaster! Ok, I might do Rita.Whats Oblivion like for a first rider on it?

Sensational is the only word I can think of describing it. I've been on Sheikra in America and that didn't give me the rush Oblivion does every time. It's intimidating, even after you've been on it a lot. But you'll regret it if you choose not to ride. I went with a friend once and he just went whiter and whiter as we went through the Que and he really was soiling himself. But half way down the drop he smiled and laughed the most I had ever seen anyone and straight after he wanted to go on again. ( for your information my friend was scared of going on Air!)

I wouldn't say that! :blink: , Oblivion is World class I agree and I love it. But I do prefer SAW. Although I really wish that with SAW they had made either the coaster part of a higher quality or made it a dark ride (Something I feel Thorpe is desperate for) that doesn't try to be a coaster , maybe a few drops like the first "hidden" one.

I said Oblivion makes Saw look like a cheap fun fair ride. You said:

I really wish that with SAW they had made the coaster part of a higher quality.

Quality means money. Saw, not being *that* cheap, but on the coaster scale of things, it is. Compared to Oblivion, Saw is a cheap fun fair ride :o

If only Saw had been a vertical drop, opposed to the "beyond vertical" drop, it would have given the same feeling as Oblivion.But Saw was all about getting headlines unfortunately, not to create a coaster that would continue to thrill or excite for years to come... The theming is the best bit, and we all know that in 3 or 4 years none of it will work! Whereas Oblivion is pure class, and a coaster that won't ever stop thrilling.I've not been to Alton Towers very much because it's so far away, but Oblivion was easilly the best ride at the park. And Alton Towers is a brilliant theme park.