Oblivion

AltonThorpe

stop being a pathetic pleb then.If you listened to what I had said, I visited the park and I experienced very abd queueing times which put me of and when I speak to people about alton towers I am put of again by others saying they found the queue's very long and tiring!What I'm saying is what I have generally been hearing so before you have a go at me try reading my comments and actually listening to what I am saying!

stop being a pathetic pleb then.If you listened to what I had said, I visited the park and I experienced very abd queueing times which put me of and when I speak to people about alton towers I am put of again by others saying they found the queue's very long and tiring!What I'm saying is what I have generally been hearing so before you have a go at me try reading my comments and actually listening to what I am saying!

And listen to what I and others are saying back...Basically you're going on and on that Alton gets big queues, well duh, it's a popular tourist destination, just like Thorpe is...I'm really bored of this tbh... You've basically saying that because of queues you're put off going to the best theme park in the UK...

Also, your going off what people who visit most likely on school trips, one of the busiest times of the year.Listen to the theme park enthusiasts :o I for example have been Alton 4 times this year and Thorpe for an hour, and in that 1 hour at Thorpe the queue's were worse than any throughout all 4 of those trips to Alton... All we have been trying to get across to you is to not base your opinion of one trip, or what other non-enthusiasts think, and for you to give the best UK park another chance if you want to stand by your opinion, fine.

Yes I would be put of visiting Thorpe Park if I experienced hideously long queue's for many rides such as I did at Alton Towers, I found ym day that incredibly time consuming in queue's as we waited around an hour or more for the monorail!I'm not basing it on people who have gone on school trips, older family relatives such as cousins and friends that have visited at weekends not just school trips.Well perhaps its because of the growing popularity at thorpe such as alton had tho I have been to thorpe park alot in the past few years and I have never encountered queue's there has hideous as my day at alton.I wouldn't giving it another chance some time, but I certainly won't be rushing to visit alton towers again, I'm waiting to see what there next addition will be like as I'm not entirely sure what to make of their recent project.

Lets see, your last visit was in a may of some year, and towers was quieter in "a few years ago" than it is now, and the queues are definitely not bad now. So you're put off with every single recent project? Excellent.. I don't think you belong on these forums.

Tad harsh there Peter?To be honest, I disagree with your ideology completely. If queues are incredibly long on the day you visit, it puts you off going completely? That's how I've read it anyway. I can't see how you can say that. I've been to TP, for example, on days where al extensions for all rides have been open and queues have been stupidly long. But that's never put me off visiting again. I just can't see how you are able to say "I doubt I'll go to a park again (or for a very long time) because I queued for a long time one day." Look at Th13teen for example, on it's opening day it had queues of 20 mins at one point!And, when I went last - back in July / August 2006 (:o) on a very warm day - queues were very bearable. The longest queue I queued was 80 mins for The Flume - then 50 mins for Rita and Oblivion. And yet I still got every ride done apart from the rapids, Submission, Hex and CATCF (okay, RMT as well, but it had closed after the crashing incident). Personally, I think you've based your thoughts on one bad day and then kept so narrow minded about it.

I'd also like to point something out that may not be that obvious to you. If you go with the intention of riding the big rides then thats all you are going to get on. I noticed in your trip report that you went on pretty much only the big rides. Why didn't you try Duel, Blade, Ripsaw, Charlie, Runaway Train?People make such glaring errors whenever they visit theme parks and then complain when they get on very little because of long queues.

I wouldn't giving it another chance some time, but I certainly won't be rushing to visit alton towers again, I'm waiting to see what there next addition will be like as I'm not entirely sure what to make of their recent project.

To be honest with you, it's your loss not ours. If Th13teen (a high capacity rollercoaster with a fast moving queueline) wasn't enough for you, then nothing Alton adds will be.

I'm not saying I've based it all on one visit, I've based it mainly on that visit and it put me of going but I am continued to be put of by other bad things that I hear from others with their experiences at alton like my close friends and family and reviews I have read etc.And no I did not just go on the main rides we went on oblivion, spinabll whizzer, rapids, flume, Nemesis, rita, skyride, air, ripsaw, enterprise.These where all we had time for and we only got to ride the coasters once because of the queue's, apart from Nemesis which we did twice.I'm complaining because in my experience I get alot more rides when I go to other parks which is partly why I was put of as previosuly said.People do go for the main roller coaster but I have managed to fit in thorpe parks main rides and several others in the past, granted the queue's are currently rapidly increasing and this is likely to change.I have just been commenting on my experience and the fact that I have been put of by comments by relatives, friends and others.and yes I haven't found there latest projects sufficient, Nemesis and oblivion are great and when you look at rides like rita and th13teen they seem to be very avergae in comparison (I have not riden th13teen yet so I only comment on what I have seen and heard)I would like to visit in the future but for now it's not a priority, and as for people saying you should be on these forums, this is what forums are for expressing your views and opinions, you should go around telling people they can't be on here because of their views because that is discrimination against them as it is there choice to have there own views and express them.

I have read that the queue for the Monorail was "1 hour". I find this impossible. For example, at the end of the day, even with each of the pens open in the Entrance Plaza station and a queue to the entrance - the queue is 20 minutes MAX (in spite of the fact the ride hosts will tell you it is 30 minutes). A queue of 1 hour for the Monorail would require approxmately 4,000 people waiting for it at any one time.This simply does not happen - even on the busiest (20,000+ guests) days. The longest queue's at Alton in the season tend to be around 90 minutes - for example, the park had around 19,000 guests on May 8th. The queue's on that day were approx. 80 minutes for Air, 90 minutes for Th13teen, 70 for Nemesis, 80 for Rita and 60 for Oblivion. Now, although these are long queues for any park, the likes of Thorpe Park regularly get these kinds of wait times - even on medium days. For example, on a visit to Thorpe over Easter, I waited 75 minutes for Saw and the Colossus queue was in excess of 2 hours. The ride capacties at Alton are far greater than those of Thorpe - example:Nemesis has an extra row so can get a higher throughput of around 12% to Nemesis InfernoRita is the same as StealthAir's throughput is much higher than Colossus (by around 400pph)Th13teen can get 1,400 per hour which is massively more than Saw (by several hundred)Oblivion gets 1,500 per hour or more.I think that although queue's at Alton can be long, and the park attracts larger crowds than Thorpe, the geography of Alton is much better to deal with the larger crowds and people are dispersed. For example, at Alton - half the guests of that day are likely to be walking from point to point, wheras at Thorpe you literally roll off one ride and find yourself at the next. Not to mention that Thorpe have a lot of low capacity flat rides.Just try to stay clear of the July Weekday School Visit periods, the P!nk concert day and the last Saturday of Scarefest along with Fireworks days if you do not want to see the longest queue's at Alton Towers!:o

With all due respect, I'm sure your family aren't theme park enthusiasts, and therefore those of us that are, I'm sure have a much better understanding of the park, rides and there queue's.Of course your aloud to express your opinion but all we're trying to get you to do is open your mind rather than listen to just 1 visit and a few others visits, for YOUR benefit to experience what is (by far compared to Thorpe) the best park in the UK.Also, Thirteen kicks all kinds of ass :oI can see where your coming for with Rita, but if your saying you think there average, to be honest every main coaster it Thorpe is distinctly average bar Colossus which just about scrapes above.^ And to back up Mr Astro, I went to Thorpe last Saturday on a quiet day and experienced 70 mins for Saw and 60 for Colossus, and I was there at the quietest part of the day! Which you just wouldn't experience on a quiet day at Alton, partly down to the size of the place.Plus the actual queue's for the rides at Alton, are in general better, I feel :o (Except Rita ofc)

If we get another ride in the UK that even comes close to the class if Nemesis, I'd be amazed. If I'm honest ste, looking at you ride count for that day, it's rather good. I wouldn't grumble that much at it..

Thats exactly what I was thinking, considering the size of the park and the long queues, getting on 10 rides in any park is very good.

I'm not saying I've based it all on one visit, I've based it mainly on that visit and it put me of going but I am continued to be put of by other bad things that I hear from others with their experiences at alton like my close friends and family and reviews I have read etc.And no I did not just go on the main rides we went on oblivion, spinabll whizzer, rapids, flume, Nemesis, rita, skyride, air, ripsaw, enterprise.These where all we had time for and we only got to ride the coasters once because of the queue's, apart from Nemesis which we did twice.I'm complaining because in my experience I get alot more rides when I go to other parks which is partly why I was put of as previosuly said.People do go for the main roller coaster but I have managed to fit in thorpe parks main rides and several others in the past, granted the queue's are currently rapidly increasing and this is likely to change.I have just been commenting on my experience and the fact that I have been put of by comments by relatives, friends and others.and yes I haven't found there latest projects sufficient, Nemesis and oblivion are great and when you look at rides like rita and th13teen they seem to be very avergae in comparison (I have not riden th13teen yet so I only comment on what I have seen and heard)I would like to visit in the future but for now it's not a priority, and as for people saying you should be on these forums, this is what forums are for expressing your views and opinions, you should go around telling people they can't be on here because of their views because that is discrimination against them as it is there choice to have there own views and express them.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

This is still a fantastic ride, now 12 years old. The feeling of approaching that drop and just watching the track disappear, it's scary! Brilliantly designed, too- I personally prefer it to Sheikra at Busch Gardens, which just didn't have the same impact for me. Can't wait to see the ride and the whole of X Sector get that seriously deserved attention.

• 8 months later...