Oblivion

AltonThorpe

I think oblivion is the best ride in the park :) Apart from the annoying video being played every second when your in a 45 mins queue :L

I really need to go to Alton Towers again, I am yet to ride Oblivion, Air, Rita, Spinball, etc.I really can't wait much longer!

• 2 weeks later...

For the people saying it's too short, etc etc. I haven't been on it yet but I'm already bricking it about what it's gonna be like going up that lift hill (which incidentally sounds so good in a lot of videos I've watched, really crunchy) - it's more about the psychological effect of building fear rather than being WOAH 600FT AND 6O LOOPZ OMFGZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - somewhat the same, to an extent, as Detonator at Thorpe, I'd imagine. Also, this being a world first, it was never gonna be as far advanced as SheiKra/Griffon (not to mention the fact that Alton have a height limit whereas designing coasters for American parks is like playing the sandbox mode on RCT). I think the amount of stick that Oblivion has come in for in this thread is a bit unwarranted. I mean, look at Stealth - it does less than a 'prototype' coaster (Xcelerator) that was built four years before it (and since then we've also had the advent of TTD and Kingda Ka), but still seems to be overrated by the vast majority of people. I for one can't wait to ride Oblivion for the first time in a couple of weeks, and I reckon it's stood the test of time well, especially in comparison to Thorpe's older rides like X:\NWO or Colossus (which, while still enjoyable, is becoming more and more of a rough ride by the season - at only seven years old as well!).Phew.

Firstly sorry for double post, but there's something I've found confusing on the Oblivion wikipedia page. It says:# Highest drop: Approx. 60 metres (180ft)# Height Above Ground: Approx 20 metres (60ft)which would mean that more than half the drop is underground (unless I've interpreted this data wrong). If you look at this image, though, it looks as though there's actually relatively little of the drop underground:Posted ImageAnyone care to clarify?

Firstly sorry for double post, but there's something I've found confusing on the Oblivion wikipedia page. It says:# Highest drop: Approx. 60 metres (180ft)# Height Above Ground: Approx 20 metres (60ft)which would mean that more than half the drop is underground (unless I've interpreted this data wrong). If you look at this image, though, it looks as though there's actually relatively little of the drop underground:Posted ImageAnyone care to clarify?

I guess it depends on what they count as above ground. It's on a big ole hill, with the fence and stuff dug in a little bit. I have no idea where they measured "ground level" from, so it's bound to be confusing.Offtopic, <5 min queue on bank holiday. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Went yesterday on the 6th of june and it was breaking down quite frequently I think it broke down 4 times overall, but whether it was due to the rain I dont know :S But got on it 10 times :lol: With 6 in a row at the end of the day :DOne of the breakdowns meant that people were up on the chainlift and at the very top for nearly an hour, I think they were getting people off of the car if they didnt want to stay on it and they were handing out foil stuff to keep people warm.

Lol yeah I've always wondered the same thing tbh and found it very confusing. There is a lot of the drop underground which isn't vertical -http://img60.imageshack.us/I/Oblivion-Tunell-02.jpg/ (It won't let me show that as an image so il send you the link)Take a look at all the construction pics- It gives you a gret idea of how far it actually goes underground!More pics on Towers Time here-http://towerstimes.co.uk/history/construction/oblivion/oblivion.htmSimilarily to you I aint been on Oblvion yet and really want to!

• 3 weeks later...

I went on bank holiday and my friend's brother was stuck on the holding brake for ages! Hardly a queue for anything that day though which shocked me.

Oblivion cannot actually get stuck on the holding brake, as the train never actually stops it just moves VERY Slowly, however it can get stuck on the brakes just before the drop.

Anyone know why it keeps on braking down lately?

Oblivion has never been the most reliable of rides, but fortunately Alton Towers always sort the problem out quickly. And, based on reliability during Scarefest 2008, reliability has actually improved this season!

• 1 month later...

Well Will sort of answered your questions earlier in the fact that SAW is a drop, and Oblivion is a free-fall drop. If you know rides well, you should be able to imagine the difference sensation-wise.

oh right I see, Yes I do know what freefall feels like :P. Ok thanks. coz I'm going at end of September and just can't wait to go on this so I was just wondering if it is any different to SAW because otherwise it would be quite boring :P.

Oblivion's drop completely 100% eclipses Saw's drop beyond belief.Oblivion you drop into a pitch black mist covered hole. Your vertical ( well near-enough) and you get an amazing floating feeling the whole way down, especcially if theres an inch or 2 gap between you and the restraint, not recomended for a first time rider. :PBest way I can describe it to you as you've been on Saw is that it's a 10x bigger version of the indoor drop.

Oblivion's drop completely 100% eclipses Saw's drop beyond belief.Oblivion you drop into a pitch black mist covered hole. Your vertical ( well near-enough) and you get an amazing floating feeling the whole way down, especcially if theres an inch or 2 gap between you and the restraint, not recomended for a first time rider. :PBest way I can describe it to you as you've been on Saw is that it's a 10x bigger version of the indoor drop.

Thats gonna make my stomach turn HA . Can't waiT!