Political Discussion

MikeC

The EU Referendum  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should Britain leave The European Union?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Undecided.

Well, the first constituency has returned! It'll be a long night :)And on the war discussion, I agree with Marc that it would be an insult to the memory of those who have lost their lives, to give up now and give them the satisfaction of beating us. We can't do that.

Haha.Although, I heard that some of them turned up at 7:30 (presumably after work so not their fault!) and queued for 2 1/2 hours! And what about the place that ran out of ballot papers?! :) That's definitely not the public's fault!And then there was all the dappy students who turned up and weren't even registered to vote, wasting other people's valuable time! Had they not made it clear enough with TV adverts to make sure you're registered?! Although it's common sense anyway.But apart from them, it wasn't the public's fault. It's never happened before (or at least they didn't say it had), it just proves how ridiculous this country is, it can't cope enough because it doesn't prepare enough! Remember all the heavy snow and Britain coming to a standstill? If they had voted, they could have stopped the Tories getting the most seats - or they may have given them more seats. Either way, we'll never know now, and whilst I don't want the Tories in, those people had a right to vote, whoever they were going to vote for!

Huh? :) You've confused me, and now my last post looks confusing as well! :)I think what I was trying to say was that it's not the public's fault, but the country/the polling stations. Cos they clearly weren't prepared. And one guy even admitted it ;)

I think the thing everyone is getting annoyed about is the inconsistency - some places with these huge queues brought everyone in and let them vote because they were inside before 10, some extended polling hours and some just got turned away. There should really be some consistency on how these things are dealt with. Of course the Electoral Commission are saying the law is clear, but I think it is their responsibility to ensure that Returning Officers are familiar with the law so that they know what to do.Either way it is unfair and pretty disgraceful, considering we march into god knows where trying to help the democratic process. We should learn to get it right ourselves.

Ugh we have a new Conservative MP for our constituency and he's such a moron, he's hit his kids and gone to hit his wife before. This should be a barrell of laughs :| he has the nerves to say in his campaign he 'loves his family'. Total BS.

Urgh Gemma I hate the Conservative guy in our constituency. He's been in power here ever since I was born it seems like, and made terrible expenses claims! He bought a house/flat in London even though it's only 20 minutes to get there by train. :) Yesterday, about 21,000 voted Tory, 10,000 Lib Dem. Never going to change here D:

Urgh Gemma I hate the Conservative guy in our constituency. He's been in power here ever since I was born it seems like, and made terrible expenses claims! He bought a house/flat in London even though it's only 20 minutes to get there by train. :) Yesterday, about 21,000 voted Tory, 10,000 Lib Dem. Never going to change here D:

Urgh damn politicians, I personally think the majority are a waste of space. 'Out to help the public' my ass, bunch of greedy, immature snobs! It makes you wonder how stupid some people must be to vote these people into power!What makes it worse is his children go to my school and his youngest who's about 12 hangs around with us due to his general lack of friends his own age.

some extended polling hours

None of them extended polling hours according to law. :) Some gave everyone who was queuing a ballot paper - and by law, if you have a ballot paper in your hand at 10pm, you are still allowed to vote. Likewise if you are actually in the polling station 'room' - and some places did ram the 'rooms' / stations / whatever you'd like to call them.Anyways, my local area results:Philip Hammond, Conservative: 26,915 Andrew Falconer, Liberal Democrat: 10,406 Paul Greenwood, Labour: 6,446 In a VERY Conservative area and it's been like that ever since I can remember. Lib Dems went up though. :)Well done to Green Party on getting their first ever seat though! ;)

Urgh damn politicians, I personally think the majority are a waste of space. 'Out to help the public' my ass, bunch of greedy, immature snobs! It makes you wonder how stupid some people must be to vote these people into power!What makes it worse is his children go to my school and his youngest who's about 12 hangs around with us due to his general lack of friends his own age.

:) That made me laugh ;)Josh - same, such a Conservative area but Lib Dem came second! They are going up!This is when we need Proportional Representation.

:) That made me laugh ;)Josh - same, such a Conservative area but Lib Dem came second! They are going up!This is when we need Proportional Representation.

Just so we can have the bigots, racists and idiots voicing their comments loudly in either of the chambers?

My area has always been Conservative and this election was no different, which is annoying considering Conservatives are probably the last party (...with a few exceptions) I'd ever want to be elected. I also fail to understand why we never had proportional representation in the first place, it seems the most logical thing to do and it's infuriating knowing that with every election it's only goint to be a two horse race between Labour and Conservative, none of him I really like and do much good anyway in my opinion.

:unsure: That made me laugh :PJosh - same, such a Conservative area but Lib Dem came second! They are going up!This is when we need Proportional Representation.

;D He's in year 8 and his voice is already breaking. Hilarious stuff.Also one thing that irritates me about the Lib Dems is them reckoning they could abolish uni fees in what, 6 years? Am I the only one wandering where the money would come from? I imagine they'd have to take some money from other departments so to speak like healthcare or something, because you can't run a university for free. :/