Political Discussion

MikeC

The EU Referendum  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should Britain leave The European Union?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Undecided.

To be honest, I've never really been big on Politics or Religion. Despite the fact I went to a Catholic school with a heavy political influence! So, call me whatever you want, but I did a bit of eenie-meenie-minee-mo on my ballot paper and just put a cross in the box it landed on! Until it starts to REALLY affect how I live, I'm probably just going to keep voting this way.

Although according my my isidewith, I'm siding with Conservatives!

Tories for me.

And I voted, because it's a right we have and therefore I'd feel like I can't add to any discussions if I don't use it.

Infact I got stressed when I thought I wouldn't have time to vote so yeah. In any terms, district voting thingy it's Labour here somehow, god knows how they manage to build up their case with bugger all arguments for them and the biggest plonker ever running it (Cameron's a plonker too but least he knows stuff, Wallace doesn't have a clue).

Talking about this, I had leaflets for most parties through the door so I took the time to read them (I thoroughly believe in if someones put effort in to show me something, I'll give effort by reading/doing whatever). Labours was the only one which used entirely aggressive "why not to vote" stuff, and nothing as to why you'd want to vote them. That really winds me up, tell me what you stand for, not telling me why I shouldn't vote UKIP.

Well it looks like from what I am hearing that UKIP has done well in the European elections, france's version of UKIP has confirmed to have won on that front. In Greece the anti-Europe Syriza party topped the poll with around 27 per cent of the vote and anti-Islam Danish People’s Party also came first in that country’s elections. Also in Germany it is said that it looks like the winners will be the National Democratic Party of Germany, whom in the past have been accused of Neo Nazi like traits. Doesn't look good for the European Union as a whole at the moment.

I voted Tories.

So many people voted UKIP for our local, but it's ended up with no majority, so we're split now. Hopefully will be better than the Lib Dems closing every bloody public toilet in Southsea. For a tourist area that relies on the seafront, you would think public toilets would be something that is wanted/needed. Seemingly not.

And urghhh at the people who are moaning about the outcome, but DIDN'T vote. I almost want to scream "well if you didn't want them in power, WHY didn't you go and vote?!"

I really don't like people sometimes.

I don't care about the outcome and I didn't vote. I didn't vote because I found that none of the parties had anything on the table that I felt warranted a vote. I've told off by plenty of people for not voting but end of the day it was my opinion and my choice.

But what if you don't like any of the parties, but still care about the outcome / politics in general?

I certainly did not want UKIP to come first, but I wouldn't have wanted to vote for any other party either. Should I have to vote for the party I dislike the least to have a 'right' to complain?

Maybe I should specify a bit more...

Some people are complaining about UKIP and saying X party should have won, but didn't vote. Some people didn't know who to vote for, so just didn't. It's the former group that are winding me up. If you knew who you wanted/would have preferred to gain the most votes, why didn't you just got ahead and vote?

However, if you genuinely didn't know who to vote for, then I agree that it is probably best to not vote. Much better than voting UKIP because everyone else is, or randomly selecting a party from the ballot sheet.

..you mark off on pencil, noone will go through and change your vote it'd be far too time consuming (plus the ballot box always has more than one person from various party backgrounds around it).

Your vote doesn't always count? It goes towards the overall count, so if everyone who said that actually voted then it would make a huge difference.

I voted Tories.

So many people voted UKIP for our local, but it's ended up with no majority, so we're split now. Hopefully will be better than the Lib Dems closing every bloody public toilet in Southsea. For a tourist area that relies on the seafront, you would think public toilets would be something that is wanted/needed. Seemingly not.

Since when did they close them all?! :o I knew that the ones on the seafront by the arcades were now "Pay-2-pee" toilets, but are they shutting the rest now? That's ridiculous! Considering how busy the Seafront gets during peak season, toilets are the most essential thing!

• 1 year later...

As suggested in the rant topic, I have moved the politics discussion here

So, which political party do you tend to vote for?
Which politicians really annoy you?
What are your opinions on the EU referendum?
What do you think about Osborne's budget?

Discuss anything politics related below....

EDIT: I have just realised that there is a 'political discussion' topic that has practically been SBNO for 2 years. I did not see that topic when creating this one.

Edited by Tommy
Continuity

I cant vote for another year, but I'll definitely be voting labour in 2020 when I can.

cameron, boris johnson and farage annoy the hell out of me. awful dudes

I believe we should stay in the EU for a variety of reasons, and I find that the majority of people who bang on about leaving in the EU because of "british identity" and "immigrants ruining our country" are often really hate-filled people. if people have other valid reasons for leaving in the EU though then I'm all for it

yeah, that's all I really have to say. I love talking about politics though

I cant vote for another year, but I'll definitely be voting labour in 2020 when I can.

cameron, boris johnson and farage annoy the hell out of me. awful dudes

I believe we should stay in the EU for a variety of reasons, and I find that the majority of people who bang on about leaving in the EU because of "british identity" and "immigrants ruining our country" are often really hate-filled people. if people have other valid reasons for leaving in the EU though then I'm all for it

yeah, that's all I really have to say. I love talking about politics though

I agree with everything you just said. I cannot vote yet but I am certain I shall be voting Labour.

So, which political party do you tend to vote for?

Matt Creek Party, because, er I'm in it.

Which politicians really annoy you?

Those that don't condone fun, theme parks and shows.

Matt Creek party condones fun stuff

What are your opinions on the EU referendum?

We need to build a direct train service from the UK to Europa Park. With possible future routes to Efteling, Disneyland Paris and Port Aventura.

What do you think about Osborne's budget?

I have absolutely no idea how much he spends shopping, I am sorry!

I am very much for out of the EU. Unlike the people portrayed in the media as brexit supporters my reasoning has nothing to do with immigration. Immigration is needed for stable growth when the country is at full employment which currently it is.

One reason is the £350 million a week we spend on it and not getting that much back unlike almost every other country in the union. That money can be spent far better on things Britain wants rather than what the EU thinks Britain wants.

Leaving would also meaning the fishing industry which the eu seems determined to kill would be lifted of stupid regulations which results in caught dead fish having to be thrown back.

Leaving also means that the eu won't be able to tax the city of London which would serverly damage trade there.

We will be able to set our own laws and not be forced to follow what Europe wants. Such as guilty until proven innocent or prisoners having the right to vote.

We will no longer have a political influence from the unelected leaders of the eu (Junker and his friends). If the people don't like the European government they have no way of being able to change it.

We will have a chance to build up the British Commonwealth once more and strike trade deals with countries like India and China (something Osborne has already been working on).

I'm going to stop myself here for now but I will happily expand on points or give more if anyone is interested.

personally as a labour member and campaigner the direction the labour party has taken lately is incredibly unfortunate. its literally only preaching to the converted and theres no way the current platform is going to win in 2020. ed miliband was too left wing in 2020 so the party decided to double down on the leftism, its ridiculous.

I'm a Corbyn fan. No, he won't make Labour electible in 2020, which is a problem. However, I find that I agree with the majority of his policies and I just like him as a down to earth man who doesn't care about his media portrayal.

In fact, this Christmas, my family lost our Christmas tree angel. So we made one and we photoshopped Corbyn's face on it. So all Christmas, we had Corbyn on top of our tree!

In the general election, I voted for UKIP as I felt that they were the party who dared to challenge things that people were scared to talk about, and deal with issues which the country is facing sensibly. As many know, people kept calling UKIP racist and other tosh like that. I come from abroad (Colombia) and I know how it feels to be targeted because of racism, such as being called a drug dealer and such, so everytime I hear UKIP is racist, I get irritated. Only on one occasion I had to tell a fellow student at university to stop calling UKIP racist, as she raised things that she said was supposedly racist, but were no where near close to being racist, or offensive at that. Just them lot getting their knickers in a twist over something stupid. Sometimes I cannot understand why people cause a uproar over something that shouldn't be taken so heavy. But anyway, enough of that. In regards to the European referendum, I'm voting out. I don't like the control the EU has taken over from the UK and imposed restrictions. Yes there may be benefits such as travelling around europe easily and getting things cheaper, but I don't care about these benefits as the EU is putting people out of work and causing chaos. The steel industry is a example of this, and that is why I will be voting out. Since Jeremy Corbyn has been brought up, I would like to say something about him. He is a good man, I can see that in him. He does things in a way that is admirable. But unfortunately, I don't see it working as effective as it should be. As I said somewhere else, Corbyn feels like he should be in the green party, not the labour party. He is a somewhat softy, in my opinion, and doesn't make a bang as he should be doing in the world of politics. If he were to improve, then I would vote for labour in the future. But for now, I will be sticking with UKIP.

Corbyn is living in an idealistic world where money grows on trees and no one has any bad intentions. Some of his policies are a good in theory. However I seriously doubt they work in the real world.

On top of that he has already proven he can be bought out and is happy to abandon his ideals at a drop of a hat. I don't want a spineless prime minister like Cameron or if he won Corybn.