Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

• 4 weeks later...

Returned from a weekend at BPB ; if you've never been, you really must go, for a couple of days. Infusion though was bashing the ears more than in the past.

It is a different type of park to TP and run in a different way. It has enough thrill rides for most members to thoroughly enjoy their visit, and take time out to do some traditional rides.

Went on valhalla? or was it too cold?

Funny you should say that, I do consider that it would have to be extremely warm weather for me to consider Valhalla, so, ashamedly, still not done it.

One of members of the club I went with paid £160 for a Big One wheel in a charity auction - and it's got no saddle.

Returned from a weekend at BPB ; if you've never been, you really must go, for a couple of days. Infusion though was bashing the ears more than in the past.

It is a different type of park to TP and run in a different way. It has enough thrill rides for most members to thoroughly enjoy their visit, and take time out to do some traditional rides.

It's brilliant that you enjoyed the park, it really is fantastic!

You should have gone on Valhalla though ;)

It has enough thrill rides for most members to thoroughly enjoy their visit, and take time out to do some traditional rides.

The History that fills the Pleasure Beach is so enriching. Riding Big Dipper or Grand National always fills me with so much nostalgia, thinking of the generations of people that have enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) these rides. No other park has that affect on me.

The History that fills the Pleasure Beach is so enriching. Riding Big Dipper or Grand National always fills me with so much nostalgia, thinking of the generations of people that have enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) these rides. No other park has that affect on me.

The historic rides make for so much more at BPB and I really wish I could make the journey for one of their "behind the scenes" tours - I would love to see the workings of the Derby Racer, plus more, but it's always the wrong time of year, and yes I do understand why.

My 98 year old granddad is always asking me about my next theme park trips and things, and being raised in Carlisle he had been to BPB and always goes on about having ridden the Grand National to me!

Agreed, I also think it's amazing that the whole park has evolved around rides like the Dipper, National, Flying Machines etc whilst they have been left untouched (apart from aesthetic work).

For me, the Aerial Flying Machine is such an important piece; when it was built in 1904 by Hiram Maxim, only one year after the first successful controlled flight by the Wright Brothers, it was to earn money to finance his interest in aeronautical research.

To the Edwardians it was the fastest thing they could do safely, and the unsafe thing would be to jump off the Blackpool Tower.

The motors for this ride are still the original electric motors, and the workings are a sight to behold.

For me, the Aerial Flying Machine is such an important piece; when it was built in 1904 by Hiram Maxim, only one year after the first successful controlled flight by the Wright Brothers, it was to earn money to finance his interest in aeronautical research.

To the Edwardians it was the fastest thing they could do safely, and the unsafe thing would be to jump off the Blackpool Tower.

The motors for this ride are still the original electric motors, and the workings are a sight to behold.

I know, it's amazing! Not sure if you went on the River Caves, but that's only a year younger than the Flying Machines!

Went on valhalla? or was it too cold?

It's never too cold for Valhalla! I've been on it in minus temperatures with rain and wind all day! :lol:

Good to see you again Planenut :)

Also nice to get back on PMBO and the Wild Mouse.

Likewise; you certainly had a longer weekend and more events, nice one.

The Big One has still got the "cans" through which the ride runs prior to the launch hill, and they don't look like they've been cleaned since it opened.

The Big One has still got the "cans" through which the ride runs prior to the launch hill, and they don't look like they've been cleaned since it opened.

Agreed, the cans could really do with a scrub!

I think they will stay there even after the sponsorship ends as the ride wouldn't be the same without them.