Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

Does anybody know what wind speed it is that if exceeded the big one won't operate. as am visiting this weekend, and the wind seems to be getting stronger. Also what winds affect Blackpool tower?

Thanks.

Technically the maximum it can run in is 50mph but it all depends on direction etc - I was on it in 40mph winds a few weeks back and it nearly rolled back over the hills!

Also, it's worth noting that if the wind is high then it'll probably only be on one train.

That really annoys me! They could easily have it on two trains and not dispatch the train in the station till the train out on the circuit hits the final brakes!

It's actually nothing to do with that.

The ride has three trains - two are medium speed trains, and one is a fast train. (Wheel compounds and technical stuff etc...)

On a really windy day they can only run the fast train as the other ones wouldn't make it round the circuit.

Well ride is on two trains today with the wind not being too bad... Don't know why they're running two trains with only a few rows open and with weight bags in the others.

I've just overheard that they're not running the back two rows on both trains due to high winds... Even though they got the weight bags in them!?

Well ride is on two trains today with the wind not being too bad... Don't know why they're running two trains with only a few rows open and with weight bags in the others.

I've just overheard that they're not running the back two rows on both trains due to high winds... Even though they got the weight bags in them!?

Not exactly sure about that one, but I'd imagine that it's due to air resistance - people put their arms up which causes resistance with the wind. But also, a full train of people might be too heavy to make it, whereas not having sandbags would be too light.

Still, it's good that they've got it on two trains though. If the wind dies down at all then they'll take the sandbags off.

How busy is the park?

Just before we got on they took all the sandbags off and we managed to get very back row... Just wow on the drop, the ride did lack in airtime though!

The park wasn't too busy... I think the biggest queue was probably 20-30 minutes and others walk on... there was some very heavy rain storms, and the big one did close for an hour or two in the afternoon due to high winds although didn't feel too bad in the park!

I did have a great day though and so happy all the fire effects were working on Valhalla... I say all effects - was there a fireball at the top of the first lift hill where the face projection is? As I could smell gas and think I remember it from back in 2008 although last year none of the fire was working at all!

Just before we got on they took all the sandbags off and we managed to get very back row... Just wow on the drop, the ride did lack in airtime though!

The park wasn't too busy... I think the biggest queue was probably 20-30 minutes and others walk on... there was some very heavy rain storms, and the big one did close for an hour or two in the afternoon due to high winds although didn't feel too bad in the park!

I did have a great day though and so happy all the fire effects were working on Valhalla... I say all effects - was there a fireball at the top of the first lift hill where the face projection is? As I could smell gas and think I remember it from back in 2008 although last year none of the fire was working at all!

No there's never been any fire there, the face projection is always there. (Was that working?)

There are two plinth fires at the bottom of the lift hill though, so if one of them wasn't working properly it could have come from that. (Or even from the fire at the end of the ride).

I'm jealous - the two hammers weren't working at all when I was there! :(

Great that they've sorted it out though!

No there's never been any fire there, the face projection is always there. (Was that working?)There are two plinth fires at the bottom of the lift hill though, so if one of them wasn't working properly it could have come from that. (Or even from the fire at the end of the ride). I'm jealous - the two hammers weren't working at all when I was there! :(Great that they've sorted it out though!

The projection was working.

What are the two hammers you are on about?

And the fire on the last drop was just spectacular as it was in the water and the boat goes over it... Plus the other explosions - I loved it!

The projection was working.

What are the two hammers you are on about?

And the fire on the last drop was just spectacular as it was in the water and the boat goes over it... Plus the other explosions - I loved it!

Agreed, I saw the fire on the track for the first time in years back in April and it's amazing! 

After the first right hand turn at the top of the second lift hill there are two huge hammers which usually come crashing down either side of the boat and splash water over the top of the wall.  You probably wouldn't notice them if they weren't working - I did as I know the ride back to front haha!

Agreed, I saw the fire on the track for the first time back in April and it's amazing! After the first right hand turn at the top of the second lift hill there are two huge hammers which usually come crashing down either side of the boat and splash water over the top of the wall. You probably wouldn't notice them if they weren't working - I did as I know the ride back to front haha!

So that fire at the bottom of the drop is a new effect?

And I don't think the hammers were working... The arrows which caught fire were good and love the headchopper that comes rolling towards you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I take it the space where bling used to be is still empty? Well I've found a good ride that could fit in the space! It's a bigger version of SBF Visa's dance party 360 ride! Here's a video of the one at Silverwood in the USA!

Yes I agree, something like that in Bling's spot would be fantastic.

They're getting an Air Race for that spot.

Pretty sure that's what it's called? Benzin can back me up here!

I have no idea what they're meant to be getting, you mean the same ride type as what Drayton got this year or what we rode at Nigloland?