Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

I believe the ride will have a pre-show to explain how to do flips, which should help a bit.

There's still a big difference between being shown how to do something, and people being able to do it...

You'd expect all enthusiasts to be able to flip themselves like in the video posted, but there is still a knack required for this ride type...

What's the knack then?

Re-posting what I'd written last year in the Nigloland topic; their Air Race is called Air Meeting:

I first came to know of this ride type thanks to Benin's blog post, and was intrigued as to how it would ride. It's a Gerstlauer Sky Fly, and consists of individual seats mounted to a central claw, with the ability to rotate on their own axis. As the claw swings around, riders are encouraged to spin themselves through 360 degrees by maneouvering the 2 "wings" attached to the left and right of the seats. Holding the left wing down / right wing up will rock you in one direction, holding left wing up / right wing down will rock you in the other. Get enough momentum up and you can make it over the top and complete a 360. Keep your wings "fixed" in the wing position (up / down) that pushes you over the top, and you'll continue to rotate in that direction like a madman. Of the 12 guests per ride, usually 2-3 will grasp the concept and make it over the top.

Simply put, if you get the "knack" of it, Air Meeting is an absolute hoot. After a bit of practice, I got myself into such a spin on my first go that I screamed with laughter like a little girl for a good 2 minutes of ride time, to the great amusement of onlookers. My second go was too intense for even screaming - I rocked left, right, left and then BAM over the top, where I continued to spin at such a high speed that it gave me a subconjunctival haemorrhage. I don't think I've had a more intense experience on any flat ride before - and it was all my doing. Amazing!

Needless to say, I am a fan...  :lol:

There's still a big difference between being shown how to do something, and people being able to do it...

You'd expect all enthusiasts to be able to flip themselves like in the video posted, but there is still a knack required for this ride type...

I'm guessing it relies on wind resistance?  If so, it should flip without evening trying most of the time at Blackpool!  :lol:

...I guess these things depend on what you're looking for from a ride.

These offer nothing other than the constant spinning. If that floats your boat then it's for you. If not, there's little point riding.

I quite like the fact that it's interactive, as letting the ride control it is something unique and different from most other rides (unless you go to Oakwood - Bobsleigh is fantastic and every park should have one!).  As for ride experience, it depends on how much you want to flip, you can change direction and the ride is moving as well, but I can't judge the ride experience until I've ridden it, this is just an educated guess.

These rides look pretty good cause they offer two types of rides! 1: if you have just eaten but really wanna go on a ride you can go on this one but just go round without using the wings therefore you get a relaxed ride. 2: if you are ready to ride something extreme you can just loop as much as you want! this should be a good addition! 

Oddly enough this reflects the aims of the oldest ride at BPB, "The Sir Hiram Maxim Captive Flying Machines" built by him to fund his research into heavier than air flight; the only reason one can get the new ride to pivot is to use aerodynamics, I.e. alter the wing angles.

BPB has revised it's staggered openings, meaning that everything apart from Valhalla and Grand National will now open at 10:30am (they both open at 11am), with a few rides and Nick Land open at 10am.  This is a massive step up from the previous set up which saw just a few rides open until 11am and Valhalla and National not open until 11:30am (some rides were even 12 noon like Grand Prix), so well done to BPB for this - it's still not perfect but a vast improvement.  :D

https://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/park-guide/plan-your-day-out/ride-opening-times/

• 2 weeks later...

Went on Saturday, was alright...

Nash is brutal now, my back was numb after riding it, I also learnt that I will only ever ride the Wild Mouse by myself from now on...

Did Skyforce, it's the most intense version out there by miles, purely down to the prevailing wind from the Irish Sea catching you and propelling your spins further and faster to the norm... Pretty much every goon there got off completely messed up, it's really popular already even prior to officially opening...

W&G ride is FABBBB <3

Really not much else to report, the park hasn't exactly changed massively... Though everyone's sudden realisation to the Monorail station having vanished was funny...

Interesting video from the ITV Granada Report on the new ride, I must say it does look very good and I'm looking forward to getting on it in the summer!

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/2015-05-19/brace-yourself-we-test-fly-the-regions-newest-white-knuckle-ride-in-blackpool/

EDIT:  There's also another one with Nick Thompson talking about how Skyforce is the begining of the next phase of white knuckle rides being introduced - really hope that's true!

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/what-s-on/video-skyforce-most-thrilling-ride-we-ve-had-for-years-1-7268907