Oakwood

Aarron P

Safety checks are more important on a ride that has killed some

Sorry, but no. That is simply not true, the required checks are the required checks and are just as important regardless of who's died. The new procedures will slow throughput though if those constant 'in operation' checks are deemed necessary.

They don't open it early because it saves a ton of money when people don't want to ride it, 2PM seems a bit extreme though, I'd have thought it would have picked up around lunch about 12 or 1.

They never used to close it till 2pm before though its only something that has happened after that incident I see what you mean about it not being more important, its just when I have always gone they have always tinkered with the ride when they just open so I feel its because of some money reasons but mostly because they want to make sure its safe. :)

EC as much as I understand your loyalty to Oakwood, I can't believe that it isn't silly for them to not be able to get one of their most major rides ready until four (?) hours after opening every day. A decent amount of people will go on Tidal Wave from around 11am every day so I doubt there's a complete lack of demand, especially in the summer. If they are that worried about the ride's safety that they need to do hours upon hours of safety checks for half the day then why do they run it in the first place?

EC as much as I understand your loyalty to Oakwood, I can't believe that it isn't silly for them to not be able to get one of their most major rides ready until four (?) hours after opening every day. A decent amount of people will go on Tidal Wave from around 11am every day so I doubt there's a complete lack of demand, especially in the summer. If they are that worried about the ride's safety that they need to do hours upon hours of safety checks for half the day then why do they run it in the first place?

Its not my loyalty I'm as bemused as anybody that it opens 4 hours after opening, the demand thing is an excuse Oakwood has given in the past, its really a case of the endless safety checks which they have gone abit mad on it seems or shut it down forever and when I have been there is very much a sufficient demand for the thing it can easily get a 2 hr queue (although that can be due to the fact of the ott restraint checks and the fact it only runs on 1 train but hey ho). I do think they should tone down on the safety checks and open at 12pm as its getting a little stupid now, I think the only way they would get rid of Drenched/Hydro is if they didn't have enough demand to fill the trains to a minium of 12 per train each day, I think it would cost more to rip it apart then keep it there. But then thats just me :)

EDIT: It also confuses me with the 2pm thing beacause there has been many a time where I have heard people say its closed till then because its dangerous and needs extra time, it just paints it in a bad light even after all these years.

They never used to close it till 2pm before though its only something that has happened after that incident I see what you mean about it not being more important, its just when I have always gone they have always tinkered with the ride when they just open so I feel its because of some money reasons but mostly because they want to make sure its safe. :)

It only happened after the park was sold to Aspro - the same time the rides went onto dual operation and cut staffing ridiculously.

Considering water rides are some of the most expensive rides to run at a park, I imagine if anything it's to save a huge amount of money on electricity. 2pm guarantees a demand for the ride, and helps fill the boats (Oakwood doesn't get that busy, heck it runs on one train with no queue for speed most of it's life) so that'd help.

Staffing wise sounds about perfect too, staff come in, do everyones lunch breaks, then at 2pm open drenched. Sounds about right there.

There was a sign at the entrance to Hydro saying pretty much that it isn't open til 2PM because it requires a minimum of 12 people per ride, and that there isn't enough demand before that to warrant it being open and constantly running - so if it is down to a safety measure, there's also no getting away from the fact it's down to saving money as well, as I'm sure if it was open people would understand and be happy to wait for more people; I guess with a small park like that (and not merlin) I don't mind them trying to save money as it keeps park entry down and hopefully allow them to make more investments over the years :)

I saw a video of the inside of skull rock , I think the reason why it looks so unfinished is because they have seem to have done a tripsdrill and not finished it all because they were quitebehind but they had to open it anyway so I think it will probably with their MTDP see more themeing, I just cant see them leaving it like that tbh.

Must admit Skullrock does look quite bland/unfinished at the moment and almost as if it was done in a rush job. I hope they consider concealing the warehouse with rock works and the addition of more enhancements to the drop as it looks not near as good as I was expecting and could potentially be a very good little flume ride if these medium scale changes are fulfilled.

Must admit Skullrock does look quite bland/unfinished at the moment and almost as if it was done in a rush job. I hope they consider concealing the warehouse with rock works and the addition of more enhancements to the drop as it looks not near as good as I was expecting and could potentially be a very good little flume ride if these medium scale changes are fulfilled.

I agree with this - even a few black sheets in the dark section to hide the warehouse would have helped!

I'm not too fussed about the warehouse as at least it's relatively dark and theres a few themed sections, but the lift hill and going in to the inside of the 'skull rock' is just vile metal structures etc... the outside turned out nothing like the plans either - hope they do address these issues over the closed season.

Yeah it looks awful there is no way in hell they are leaving it like that!

Just come back from my trip to Oakwood which I shall write a full report on eventually but for now here's what I've got to say.

Megafobia/ absolutely amazing ride and loved this. The overall airtime and speed of the ride is just amazing as well as being my first woodie.

Speed/ power, amazing layout really liked this ride, genuinely smooth & better than Saw.

Never Land/ brilliant theming and nicely layout with a good selection of rides and grassy areas. The walk through was nice touch, Tinks flying school was great fun and Crocodile Coaster was nicely themed despite being an average ride. The log flume however disappointing as it pretty much was just a flume that went in to a warehouse that went past a few models and up a boring lift hill before splashing.

However Oakwood is a brilliant park and well worth visiting even just for Speed & Megafobia.

both got about 8 to 10 mph faster at night after they warmed up, I was told speed was running at about 66mph and they had to stop it so it could cool down because it was going too fast over the airtime hil a mechanic told me haha, andd megafobia got to about 57mph I was told which made it so much more fun. Megafobia was mine, phill's, topsyturvy'sand matt creeks favourite ride it was so good yesterday.

EDIT: No joke I have bruises from how fast and ferosiously it few us into the airtime hill haha :P

Glad to hear more positive views from others on Oakwood, after my visit in April I can safely say they have the best UK wooden coaster as well as the best Gerstlauer in this country, yes!! that airtime hill and that helix! Not to mention the rest of the ride which is also fantastic.

It's a really great little park! =)

PS. Speed's airtime hill & the airtime off Saw's MCBR is the reason I think Gerstlauer could win-over Intamin in terms of creating a hypercoaster with ridiculous amounts of ejector air... I can only wish that one day it will happen.. Lol.

• 4 weeks later...