Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

Hmmm, I know this isn't the parks fault but when this happened at Pleasure Beach a few weeks

back they gave out free return wristbands - I wonder if towers did the same?

It varies really, sometimes they might give out free tickets (or something along those lines like money off return vouchers and what-not)...

They managed to re-open most things(?) though, and extended the opening time, so they did some stuff...

• 2 weeks later...

Alton Towers used to only let guests in at 9AM who had Early Ride Time; but the last year or 2 they have been letting everyone in at 9, and checking at the queue entrances for valid ERT tickets to allow them on the rides... is this still the case this year, as would be great to get in before 10 and start queuing for The Smiler (when its opened obviously) ready for when it opens at 10. Thanks.

Most of the time it's a bit of a non-issue really, it's pretty rare for the rides to even fill all the seats during ERT let alone have any sort of queue. When trains are being sent half empty it's more trouble than it's worth to make people wait and probably causes a load of complaints.

People who've booked online in order to get ERT may be a little annoyed, but as an AP holder I don't really care unless they start getting long queues during ERT.

Turn up earlier, it opens at 830 which is half hour before ERT even starts. Christ!

Would be good if they advertised that then!!

IMO it should be just like any other theme park when you turn up and just walk in, rather than having to queue up for a monorail etc...

There are plenty of places where the car park is right next to parts of the park, so the park should have been designed for the entrance to be where you can just walk in.

You mean the staff car park? Coach park?

There is no room and they probably when building the car parks were told they could only put it in that area... So that's where it is... Towers is certainly a place that demonstrates the evolution of a park over time, where they had to design things along with the park's own evolution... It is simply not possible for them to have car park space of the size required to be at the park's entrance (hence the rumours of the second entrance by Valley, but I find that idea silly really)...

The Monorail is a lovely way of entering the park, if they could improve the throughput of it on busier days it would be a lot better (and prevent queues to the toilets, which are rather off-putting and result in walking)...

The Monorail is a lovely way of entering the park, if they could improve the throughput of it on busier days it would be a lot better (and prevent queues to the toilets, which are rather off-putting and result in walking)...

Well exactly, a throughput increase would be good because the queue is usually ridiculously big for it!

(I know it basically has to take most people going to the park but that is even more reason for the throughput to be increased in my opinion).

I love the monorail and yes I will be in the car park for 08:15 tomottow to catch the 08:30 to Towers Street and will be almost at the front of the queue or even the front if I'm lucky. A short walk over to Nemmy is around 10 mins, so you get a good 50 mins ERT, more if you go to nearer attractions. The only downside with ERT is that the rides are so spread apart.

IMO it should be just like any other theme park when you turn up and just walk in, rather than having to queue up for a monorail etc...

There are plenty of places where the car park is right next to parts of the park, so the park should have been designed for the entrance to be where you can just walk in.

http://www.altontowers.com/hotels/hotel-guest-benefits/ - although not the best page, as it's for guests in the hotel, they do advertise it.

Towers has always had it - before the monorail, they had a coach style transportation system. It's been unique and quirky. Dunno how you find a queue (longer than the walking time of 10mins) during ERT.

Monorail has a pretty decent throughput - 500 every 10mins. So 3000/hour on busy days. It's minimum is 1800/hour! :)

When Alton Towers went down the theme park route it was obviously inspired by Magic Kingdom's method of getting to the park. However unlike Alton Towers, Magic Kingdom has an even worse problem with the only way getting there by a very slow boat, train cars or a monorail system. You can't do the walk unlike Towers. Considering that park has 70,000 people on average getting there way to the park, Alton Towers monorail problem seems so much more irrelevant. It's 12,000 on average a day seems rather small fry. Besides those 12,000 people won't all be arriving at the same time. I've been visiting for years and I've never waited more then ten minutes for the monorail.

I think the monorail is a great way to get to the park as it helps stagger people getting to the entrance, gives you a sneak peak onto your day and allows less over-crowding at the entrance and on any hand, if 3,000 PPH is its absolute minimum then it must be able to get through much higher when it has more trains going round.

Exactly, and the average attendance rate (I believe) is 12,000 visitors, the majority of which use the monorail.

It's capacity is not high enough.

The car park (including the grass ones) only has capacity for 5000 cars. Obviously you usually get way less.

On 5 trains, even on the busiest of days at the end of the day, the queue is never more than 20mins, usually a fair bit less. 1800pph is on 3 trains which'll be the minimum during the morning/evening peak.

• 2 weeks later...