Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

IMO Air should be on the list as it doesn't matter when you go there is always a queue a mile long at 10am when its open and it opens with a 40 min queue which never really seems to reduce during the day. Even a 09:30 opening would be nice.

I can understand why sonic spinball and Rita aren't open etc. however I don't get where alton are coming at by having ERT, but spreading the rides across the park which are avalible, and that means you have to make a long journey over to a different one which means you get on less rides.

Of course maybe this years line up is better for alton, and ovbiously oblivion can't be on the list, but I am disappointed with the amount of 'major' rides alton are giving you the chance to ride. Nemesis is the only one I would consider as really good and thirteen is good but not really a major ride as such...

The ideal thing to do for guests would be to open up the forbidden valley and kantaga canyon/mutiny bay. This would mean guests wouldn't have to travel across the park to get on different rides and there would be better rides on offer...

What I think could open up for ERT:

Nemesis

Air

RMT

Heave Ho

Sea life thing

Marauders mayhem

The blade/ripsaw???

The reason I put the blade and ripsaw on question is because I don't know if they are very reliable rides or not, I think they are in an adequate position to open but if they are unrealiable etc. then they may not be able to open. The key attractions open though could be Air and nemesis... Later on in the season oblivion could then take over again maybe.

Air has never been listed on ERT, ever since it's opened it's not been on it.

Sorry mate, outvoted. Last September I got in the park at 9:15am, I had 2 rides on Nemesis and got on Air just after 10:00am. But in the past, it has definitely been open before 10:00am. If it's not been, I've certainly seeing it fly around empty during tests before opening!

As I said, it may be open every now and then to replace a certain ride. Apart from when it was on valley ERT.

I think I'd know this somehow..

ERT is currently run so everyone is spread out at the beginning of the day - you can choose to go to a certain area of the park, ride the open rides then wait for the other rides to open. Not really run so everyone rides every ERT ride before 10. Though whether it should be run like that is another thing..

Ripsaw and Blade could easily open for ERT, it's just noone would ride them. Rendering it pointless.

As Fred says, there have been occasions when Air (and indeed, other rides) have opened before 10am. If another ride is for some reason unable to open for ERT, then it is usually quickly replaced by another (I.e. Rita if Th13teen couldn't open, Air if Nemesis couldn't etc.).

I still think the best ERT used to be when it was hotel guests and annual pass holders only, with access to Forbidden Valley.

The way it is now, you waste most of your time walking, because the Skyride is closed!

Just a complete mess yet again, I really thought they might have used this oppertunity with a large new addition to lay everything out clearly.

One of my personal favourite styles is this from 2000, pathways are clearly marked with each area being defined by a certain colour (I think this also indicated the sort of age group that area was aimed at).

2000map.jpg

(Courtesy of Towerstimes)

What on earth am I looking at?!

If you stare long enough you can follow the paths, but then again I know in my mind my way around the park. As others have said, first time visitors would have a struggle! It's like the rides etc are taking up too much room to be able to quickly navigate the map. When you're at a busy theme park, the quicker you can get around, the better!

Also I can't seem to find the Skyride stations on there, the picture loses quality when I zoom in to find them. I was looking for them to see if they're easy to find for new visitors but I think my question has been answered :P

EDIT: I can see them now! Small pale blue labels with white font? Oh dear :P

New map isn't really new but its nice they've kept with the 3 year map thing, would of looked odd having that map for 2 years then changing it, I'm shocked they've done the impossible task of fitting The Smiler in that already squashed map!

But it looks nice from a poster form of view and I know Alton will do some finishing touching before opening day because normally The Sun is just a "preview" of the map, the finished article is normally more clear-ish.