Heide Park

MikeC

For comparison, here's Swarm:

388651_162022623901147_1999033510_n.jpg

Literally the same bar a different colour on the fangs, and fangs replacing LEDs. How lazy.

Unless they're going for a continuation of Swarm, building on the story of how this alien race is spreading (which I would actually LOVE, but no doubt), it will be disappointing to see Merlin reusing things like this - even though I feel really bad about complaining; after all, it is a fab design <3

For comparison, here's Swarm:

388651_162022623901147_1999033510_n.jpg

Literally the same bar a different colour on the fangs, and fangs replacing LEDs. How lazy.

Unless they're going for a continuation of Swarm, building on the story of how this alien race is spreading (which I would actually LOVE, but no doubt), it will be disappointing to see Merlin reusing things like this - even though I feel really bad about complaining; after all, it is a fab design <3

Lets be realistic here, the only people who are ever going to cotton on to them being the same design are enthusiasts and people who may have ridden The Swarm.

Compared to the brand new ground hugging, unique designed roller coaster, having the same train facade doesn't really bother me that much.

Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate it's only going to be noticed by the minority, but still, it would be nice to see a whole new train design, right? We want the Merlin parks to be the best, but I think pretty much duplicating theming elements of other rides they've used feels like they've cut a couple of corners (though probably saying it's lazy is a bit of a step too far...)

It does feel almost perverse to be complaining about something like this. Not even a few years ago, any theming detail of this calibre on a coaster train would be instantly loved. For all we know, this wing coaster may even have a slight link with Swarm story-wise (which would be amazing). This is, in my view, the best design of a wing coaster yet as well, so it's not even a bad choice But if this coaster ends up with a separate identity to Swarm (which it probably will won't, I guess?), then of course I'd like to have seen a completely new design; would just be great to see. Okay, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but every little detail counts.

Edited by JoshC.

Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate it's only going to be noticed by the minority, but still, it would be nice to see a whole new train design, right? We want the Merlin parks to be the best, but I think pretty much duplicating theming elements of other rides they've used feels like they've cut a couple of corners (though probably saying it's lazy is a bit of a step too far...)

It does feel almost perverse to be complaining about something like this. Not even a few years ago, any theming detail of this calibre on a coaster train would be instantly loved. For all we know, this wing coaster may even have a slight link with Swarm story-wise (which would be amazing). This is, in my view, the best design of a wing coaster yet as well, so it's not even a bad choice But if this coaster ends up with a separate identity to Swarm (which it probably will, I guess?), then of course I'd like to have seen a completely new design; would just be great to see. Okay, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but every little detail counts.

It doesn't link into the Swarm at all...

It's just a shame really that it is so similar, but as Mark said, who's going to notice/care?

Oops, did mean to say it probably won't.

Vague idea is some monster attacking a town and locals sacrificing people or something? Probably could have a slight link to Swarm in a back story if they wanted, surely? Mutated aliens and what-not. Though Merlin don't do back stories, so that's why I doubt it. Just something I thought I'd throw out there really :P

Are we really complaining that the train looks the same? Disney clones many whole rides and no-one seems to complain!

The issue here I would say lies with the fact that these two rides are completely different, yet in an attempt to probably save money not needing to manufacture a new chassis cover, they've cloned the Swarm trains...

It's not a clone, whereas with Disney, even their clones usually have completely different features or layouts (Raging Spirits vs Indiana Jones, the MMV Indiana Jones rides, Matterhorn/Space Mountain)... Most of the time the obvious clones are the flat rides or indeed, the Paris/Cali versions of Tower of Terror... So really the majority of Disney clones are because you can't do much with the theme of a flat ride... Although of course the issue of having 3 clones of the same ride in one park is a different arguement all together...

Gawd, really not with it this morning! :P

Basically what I was trying to say was I guess there's a chance they could try and link it with Swarm's story, but to do to that depth to link two rides together would require a story which requires knowledge of a back story. Swarm and Smiler have back stories, but you can understand them fine and dandy without knowing their back stories. I was thinking that there would probably be a need to have a bit of knowledge of the back story to 'get' it fully.

So, err yeah, probably just better to ignore me now; not even sure what I'm trying to say now... XD

...yet in an attempt to probably save money not needing to manufacture a new chassis cover, they've cloned the Swarm trains...

My guess is that this is exactly right. The original train designs for The Swarm were completely different to the trains that made it on to the actual ride (possible ideas included a "terminator-esque" machine alien). In the end they went with a design far closer to the Gardaland Raptor trains, to save money on redesigning every element of the train shells from-scratch again.

swarmbts30.jpg

(More on this here: http://www.totalthorpepark.co.uk/features/btsswarm.shtml)

Looks like this time they're not even "tweaking" the existing Swarm shell - just completely reusing it. Can't see that 99.9% of guests riding would know any different though - and would far rather they economised on this to free up budget for themeing/near misses etc!

Cute baby trains.

Why do both foreign merlin parks get lower throughput attractions? Those parks are surely busy enough to warrant the same size trains as their UK counterparts?!

Down to money I suppose. They never treat their foreign parks as well as they do the UK ones (that's saying something).

One reason for the 6 row trains could possibly be the tighter elements, especially when compared to other wingriders.

Always surprises me how European parks get their coasters testing a lot sooner than ones in the UK as well..

Probably because they hire decent construction teams and also have less H&S red tape to get through... And like to have plenty of time to build theming...