The Smiler

th13teen

They have begun testing out the Marmaliser screens! Looks pretty good!

Picture evidence from TowersStreet...

401787_473978236005959_62558444_n.jpg

EDIT - Towers Guide with an another one with probably imagery...

302445_554951611202688_811259117_n.jpg

EDIT EDIT - There's also a video (ATG, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151364713136050) which confirms a 'DISORIENTATOR' element, which will probably be the indoor inline with added effects (I hope, an extra silly element would potentially detract from the experience)...

EDIT EDIT EDIT - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151364779916050&set=vb.168150643216122&type=3&permPage=1

Mentioned are:

'The disorientatior'

'Strobes'

'Rotation Carriage'

And what appears to be a clear graphic of the washing machine element? Hmmmmmmmmm.

Then some bits about 'scanning cortex', 'smile detected' and 'scanning memories', which I presume to not relate to actual elements.

Calling it 'rotation carriage' and showing a ride train that appears to be static (ie not coming towards or going away from the perspective of the viewer) while rotating on its axis, next to a spinning arrow showing exactly that motion too, really strongly suggest to me that 'washing machine' element will be present. And I have been very strongly against that idea happening since it was first mentioned.

I reckon it's just an opticial illusion inside the station building. We could see a spinning tunnel or, given the amount of time supposedly there is inside the station building (at least 45secs I think I read), maybe something like a Vekoma Madhouse where the 'room' around you spins, and effects occuring to the train make it feel like you're spinning too (I'm sure I read someone on here suggest that, and worded it a lot better than what I've done).

I don't think it'll be a 'washing machine' element. We have a coaster with 14 track inversions as it is, why put in more in a technologically difficult way, which is unnecessary? I can see why people may think it hints to a wachine machine, but I doubt AT would bother with it. The whole idea of the washing machine came up because people were expecting trick track after Th13teen, and TT seemed to have a reliable sauce which was in fact sour. If it had never been mentioned then, I think people would be seeing 'The Disoreintator' as a barrel roll or a spinning room.

On the actual note of the screens, they look great. As for the fact on isn't working, OH NO!! The first time the screens are turned on, it isn't perfect. Maybe a wire wasn't connected properly / fully? There is no reason to panic about it yet.

But it's NOT called 'rotation carriage', as that video has the screens lined up incorrectly, so the bottom side of rotation was on the top...

That's my point...

Thanks for making it clearly.

The thing actually stating 'carriage rotation' then, as it will when they've fixed it, seems even more like a description of that element to me, not less!

Nah, it's more describing what the change of number below is measuring in my eyes... As in "The current carriage rotation is 245 degrees"...

That, and I'm really hoping they don't go and mess it up with a stupid gimmicky track section is doesn't need... A rotating tunnel (a la Duel/Hex) or numerous bits around the inline are potential candidates for such a thing as one involves going upside down and the other will have the 'effect' of doing so...

I'd rather not have it too, and from construction pics I really don't think there is one. It's easy to interpret that clip in many ways but it suggests to me either a rotating track or something giving the illusion of a rotating track happening.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151364779916050

The giggler looks like it includes water squirters like a fire sprinkler system from the graphic?

LOVE the sequence with the close up of the eyes going round like a never ending multi eyed face, with the smiler swirl reflect in them. That screen is stunning.

THAT SCREEN....OOFT!!

but I'm sorry guys I have looked at that part 3 or 4 times and there is DEFINITELY gonna be either a special effects trommel tunnel or a trick track and that is confirmed that it will be either of the two unless there its some absolutely wild and nuts thing I havent thought of yet which is doubtful,but if it is a trick track, I would hold your judgement until you actually do brave THE DISORIENTATOR

I want those smiler contacts lol :D

Edited by EC!

Couldn't help but notice, just after the giggler/dancing people set when they have the coaster in the background, it's Saw The Ride.

Well I'm disgusted, surely the park should've had some on-ride footage of Smiler by NOW? These half-arsed jobs are so typical of Merlin...

Let alone the fact they could've filmed a GOOD Eurofighter...

It's a towers thing - they won't sell fastrack for new attractions until they know precisely its average throughput and works through any early teething problems.

None of the prizes are fastrack for smiler, but they are offering normal fastrack discounts or free fastrack as prizes.

Looking at the update towerstimes made, I saw that many of the supports in the bottom section of the coaster were already or were being concreted in. Only the top sections such as the lifthill, toilet block and dive elements remained. Hopefully testing does indeed start by the beginning of next week.