The Smiler

th13teen

There's some rumors going round some other website forums that the vertical lift could stop and freefall backwards before climbing it again, similar to the freefall chain lift in expedition everest and big grizzly mountain railroad. Do you think this could possibly happen and be the long awaited secret element?

Urgh...

I'm going on the 10th June so it should be open, although I wouldn't be surprised if its not. Will just make another visit in that case. looks pretty worth it to me!

I love the whole theme/story they have gone with and loved The Sanctuary, so on the journey up there I'm going to be dying of excitement haha!

Morning all,

Was at Alton Towers yesterday and its the first time I have seen The Smiler up close, it is HUGE! Cannot wait for this to be opened! Here are some pictures from yesterday.

DSCF7197_zps8ad5eb11.jpg

DSCF7195_zps73b7e276.jpg

DSCF7191_zps20073279.jpg

DSCF7189_zps78302202.jpg

Whilst eating lunch in Fried Chicken Company (which we also won for free due to the red button challange!) we saw Barney from Blue Peter who was on site!

The rest of the photos are on my Facebook

I went on Tuesday & Wednesday and I was completely awestruck by the sheer enormity of The Smiler! Unfortunately, the banners were still up, and so never quite got a full view. However, I was suckered into buying the Smiler hoodie, like the guy in the picture above!
The amount of advertisement and curiosity that this ride is generating is really good, and I saw a few people have quite in depth chats with staff members about when it would open etc etc...I for one was called a geek by one of the Smiler staff, just because I was wearing my hoody hahaha!

Hi all, Some pics from today.

Arrived on park to find them adding a piece to the main lift hill. Look they're adding a support

P1040404.JPG

Yay look it fits

P1040407.JPG

And this is what it looks like from the other side

P1040446.JPG

The station is looking more themed and look, the pipes all fit.

P1040417.JPG

Usual overview shot.

P1040448.JPG

Top of the vertical lift

P1040471.JPG

Ohh look, they're also adding the inverted drop.

P1040457.jpg

Hammer that bolt in, Hammer it.

P1040472.JPG

Drill that connector Drill it.

P1040465.JPG

Paint that track, paint it

P1040401.JPG

Yes work was going at a full pace so we went and had a look to see what we can see inside the station., this is through the entrance hole for the trains.

P1040421.JPG

Inside the shop

P1040433.JPG

What about the games unit, I hear you ask.

P1040431.JPG

Marmaliser leg footer and template. Its all technical stuff.

P1040428.JPG

Back at the top of the site we were drawn by the sound of a ratchet... They had added the linking bit between the bottom of the inverted drop and the top... one min.. .. That's not right. aren't these meant to MEET?

P1040491.JPG

They were using that ratchet to pull the 2 pieces of track together but that's quite a large discrepancy . So they started using these things at the bases of the supports. I think they are mini rams.

P1040504.JPG

and more ratchets on other supports

P1040507.JPG

We stood there for about 40 minutes watching them try in vein to get the track to meet and this is how it was when we left.

P1040548.JPG

Well I think tomorrow is going be a stressful day for the construction team.