Your Thorpe Park

Guest thorpe101

It wasn't an exception, it was only allowed because of the tower being white.

Exception# a deliberate act of omission; # an instance that does not conform to a rule or generalisation; Stealth is an exception - the fact that its tower is white is neither here nor there (although I understand that the colour was a condition of its construction). If Thorpe only built white rides from now on, it wouldn't mean that they could go building rides at any height they want. The height restriction is still there (as demonstrated by Saw, built since Stealth) - Stealth breaks the height ceiling of 115ft - ergo it's an exception to the height rule of 115ft.

I was under the impression that Thorpe park weren't allowed to build their next roller coaster (or any ride) above the height ceiling until after 2016 - not that they were planning to build another one in 2016. This is what I heard was the condition with Stealth - it could be built if it was painted a colour that blends in with the sky (white) and that they couldn't propose to build another coaster until after 2016. Anyway, back on topic, anyone want to share their Thorpe Park? Has ste193 got any more in depth, interesting ideas yet? :)

So if they wanted to extend Detonator, the newer taller bit would have to be white in order for Thorpe to be able to extend it? :P

When did I ever say anything about a Detonator extension? :) And subculturehero, Saw is around 100ft, so I don't understand what it has to do with anything. Just because there is a heigh restriction doesn't make that the only reason Saw isn't above 100ft. Not all of Thorpe Park's rides are only under 115t because they have to be. And I know what exception means, I was saying that they didn't just let Stealth be 205ft because it would be an excpetion, its tower had to be white to blend in with the sky better. If the local residents wanted the 115ft height restriction they wouldn't let there be any normal exceptions, otherwise the whole restriction would be pointless anyway. And Will, again...The person in the interview could have been some random person pulled in off the street if all you're going to say is 'the person in the interview'. I doubt even Thorpe Park know what is going to be built in 10 years time themselves.

The person in the interview could have been some random person pulled in off the street if all you're going to say is 'the person in the interview'. I doubt even Thorpe Park know what is going to be built in 10 years time themselves.

The media aren't going to interview any random person pulled off the street, especially when the person who they interviewed, was the general manager as interviews for the opening of new coasters are always given by general management or the general manager himself. Just like Mike Valis (Ex General Manager of CWoA) gave the opening interview of SAW: The Ride, the interview was given for the opening of Stealth. Afterwards, the GM, for the opening of Stealth, answered some questions and one was something along the lines of:When can we expect another rollercoaster of that height and the response was in about 10 years. As for the "I doubt even Thorpe Park know what is going to be built in 10 years time themselves" is crap because Mike Valis said that they (THORPE PARK) make preparations "years" in advance. Every business especially theme parks, make plans years in advance, even 10 years in advance. Themeparks like Thorpe Park do have to think of their long-term future and also their immediate future.

Although theme parks do look into the future, I doubt that look into it that deeply.They may think like this: 2010: We know we want a new flat. We have this space here, and this is a good idea, etc. 2011: Perhaps now is the time not to add a new ride and redo the entrance. 2012: New coaster. 2013: Hotel. 2014: New flat. 2015: New coaster. 2016: Replace X. 2017: etc. etc.The park don't know for definite what will happen, only some sort of rough plan. Anyway, how likely is it that Thorpe will want to build another 200ft (or higher) roller coaster? Stealth is the park's iconic coaster - it stands out (literally) above the rest - why add another to make it look like the ordinary?

Thorpe will concentrate on current and up-coming developments but they will look that far into the future. They would think where do we see our park in 10 years time and what is our park's future. They could think what else could we add to our portafolio.Stealth is CURRENTLY Thorpe's iconic coaster but by 2016, that would have been 10 years ago and they would be looking for the next big thing.Thorpe would never add another 200-ft (ish) Intamin Tophat Launch Coaster but they might want to add another 200ft-ish coaster since their last one is about speed.Stealth is fast, tall and is over quite quickly and having for example, a 200ft Hyper Coaster would compliment Stealth since it is focused on air-time and is a family-thrill with lapbars. Just because Thorpe Park have a 200ft coaster, doesn't mean they can't have another one. It doesn't have to do the exact same thing - and it could offer another type of thrill.E.g. Hyper Coaster and a 200ft Tophat Launch Coaster are totally different apart from their height, they offer totally different experiences and they compliment each other perfectly. Not to mention, their structures are different and both coasters would look totally different physically.Thorpe will consider 200ft-ish coasters:Dive Coaster X - We have SAW4D Coaster X - Too ugly and many supportsHyper Coaster *We have a winner"I think Thorpe's next 200-ft coaster will be a Hyper Coaster or a Megalite

And subculturehero, Saw is around 100ft, so I don't understand what it has to do with anything. Just because there is a heigh restriction doesn't make that the only reason Saw isn't above 100ft. Not all of Thorpe Park's rides are only under 115t because they have to be. And I know what exception means, I was saying that they didn't just let Stealth be 205ft because it would be an excpetion, its tower had to be white to blend in with the sky better. If the local residents wanted the 115ft height restriction they wouldn't let there be any normal exceptions, otherwise the whole restriction would be pointless anyway.

The point I was making about Saw was that it shows the height restriction is still in place, as it's the only major ride to have been built at Thorpe since Stealth.When you say 'Not all of Thorpe Park's rides are only under 115t because they have to be' - I assume it's just coincidence, then, that only Stealth is the >115ft ride in the park? And just coincidence that when Colossus was being designed, it had to be made shorter from the original design (Monte Makaya, which is about 130ft I think)? No. Stealth was an exception to the rule - while it was allowed to be built to 205ft because of its colour, that does not mean (and this is the point of my argument) that any white ride could be built to any height they like. Stealth is a one-off (apart from, as some have said, the possibility in ten years or so of another >115ft ride being built).

Anything could happen...the Runymeade (sp) council could even raise the height ceiling, a plane could crash into Stealth, the company could go bankrupt (incredibly unlikely) but there exists a chance, no matter how small or big that something could happen.There's a chance Thorpe Park could build a 200-ft Hyper Coaster for 2016/2017 and I personally think (IMO) that is what will happen - that a 200-ft coaster will be built around that time if everything is going well.

why would Thorpe being reclaimed land make a differnce to being able to build a woodie or not?

Because it is built over water!TBH, I don't know the exact reason why a woodie is not suitable at THORPE PARK, I just remember reading that because THORPE PARK's island is reclaimed land, a wooden (woodie) coaster is not available for option at THORPE PARK.

Because it is built over water!TBH, I don't know the exact reason why a woodie is not suitable at THORPE PARK, I just remember reading that because THORPE PARK's island is reclaimed land, a wooden (woodie) coaster is not available for option at THORPE PARK.

ohh ok.. I think a 4 dimension coaster should be the next:)

ohh ok.. I think a 4 dimension coaster should be the next:)

I admit a 4D would be an intresting coaster and I'd love to ride one one day. However 4D's do take up a fair bit of space, as can be seen here...Posted ImagePosted ImageAnd considering Thorpe Park's already very cramped together rides and lack of space, it seems a 4D is unlikely, which is a shame, as X2 is supposed to be very good.