The Big Bad Movie Topic

Benin

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Appreciate Interstellar even more on second viewing, IMAX helped of course. I'm still not a major fan of the last 25 minutes, but I think that's more down to it not living up to the previous 2+ hours, but by then I've already been impressed to the point where it just about gets away with it. The docking sequence is probably one of the most exciting and ridiculous pieces of cinema I've seen, goosebumps. Mackenzie Foy will go far. Strong 9/10. 

Gosh the docking sequence had me sweating. Fortunately I woke my Dad up minutes before. Not sure how you can fall asleep in the sound tracks and the starting of the action. Would've understood in the last half hour or first 40 minutes though.

Still not a huge fan of the ending. Seems a bit willy nilly for me.

The Hobbit then...

First one decent, second one good, this one... is kind of summarised quite well by the way they keep throwing Lord of the Rings references at you at the end, as if to say 'we know you wish you were actually watching that instead'.

Sigh.  -_-

• 1 month later...

Seen three films in the last week (what else is there to do when you're off the drink?!), a mixed bag...

Selma - Comes out in a couple of weeks, saw it last week at an Odeon Screen Unseen, where you book a ticket but have no idea what you'll see, only that it is not out yet. I love this idea; this is not a film I'd have ever chosen to to go and see but this ticket put me in front of it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Clearly the story of Martin Luther King is not going to be easy going, and although I have issues with the part fictionalisation of real events it told the story of Selma and the black voting rights with what appears to be honesty in a way that's interesting to even someone with a limited interest in the subject as a whole. I know awards are just meaningless fluff, but Oyelowo not being Oscar nominated is pretty ridiculous. He is beyond outstanding.

In To The Woods - Not a musical film in the usual 'film with some songs' style, this instead is a stage musical adapted for the screen and very much keeping the structure a stage production would have. There isn't a single line in the whole film that doesn't at least rhyme and pretty much the whole thing is sung. It felt so like a stage musical I kept going to clap at the end of the songs! A slight lull two thirds of the way through didn't stop me loving it. 9/10

Taken 3 - Nonsense of the highest order. but good fun. Taken 2 was pretty much a remake of Taken, but in another town. Strangely, Taken 3 is  a remake of the fugitive instead. Full of mythbuster fodder of cars exploding for no reason after falling over, freight containers being launched off of the back of lorries and barreling down the road in minor accidents as if they are full of helium or on the moon, and technology that isn't even close to being real used to move the plot along. These physics bending things annoy me more than they should in a film that's not claiming to be real, but I can't help shaking my head every time they happen and found myself laughing at, rather than along with, the film a couple of times. 5/10

So less than 4 months until this and still no one really knows what it's going to be about, apart from the fact it looks 'all pretty and stuff'. At this rate it'll probably either be worse than John Carter or the best blockbuster of the decade. But 'cause it's Brad Bird I'm still holding out hope for the latter.  :wub:

So Odeon are doing their 'Screen unseen' again and the clue this time is 'This sounds like a game, but is something entirely different...'. Really hoping it'll be the new horror films coming up, either It Follows or The Lazarus Effect. Both based on things that have been briefly touched on before but will be interesting to see how they execute these ideas...

• 4 weeks later...

So many people complained about it being a horror film, if you go into screen unseen with an open mind you'll love it! It wasn't even gory aside from the first 5 minutes. It's only being shown in 26 cinemas odeon-wise but if you get the chance to see it, then do! Myself and Ryan could not stop talking about this film for at least 2 hours after we saw it. I will promote this film until the day I die. #notsponsored

Finally got round to it and watched Big Hero 6 which was an excellent film.

The movie was full of a great plot including plenty of action and humour, both which were combined frequently. Definitely also had a lot of focus of real life issues such as family, vengeance and friendship plus Baymax is just fantastic, there's nothing to not like about him with his kind, calm yet hilarious timed dialogues and for me is the highlight of the whole film.

There's also a few surprises in the film two (one of which involve one of the main characters), but you'll have to watch the film to see what this is.

Recommend to all to see this film, the cinema was absolutely chockerblock of people (was lucky to find a seat) and I enjoyed this film more than Frozen.

• pluk featured this topic