The Big Bad Movie Topic

Benin

... it was Black Mass.

Is really worth a watch when out comes out at the end of next month. A little slow in places, but very enjoyable and Depp is outstanding in it. Being based on a true story involving real crimes and murders of relatively recent times gives it a strange, voyeuristic feel. A lot of this was going on in my own lifetime and many of those involved are still alive today. Scarily, not all of them are still locked up!

The trailer for the Angry Birds film due to come out May next year has started playing at work recently, after initially just hearing it and wondering why they were playing what sounded like a trailer for Minions again I actually watched it to an extent and I really want to see it! It's one of the few trailers I really don't mind hearing and seeing regularly for hours on end, have been meaning to mention this as I shocked myself for being so keen for it

• 1 month later...

It's probably something to do with copyright and names. The same as galaxy chocolate over here is called dove, over in the USA. Or Lynx deodorant here, compared to AXE in the US. It confuses me they can't use the same name for anything, but then again maybe one is held over here and the other is held by another company in the USA, so they can't pick an 'original' name for the franchise to collectively own. Surprising considering it's a disney movie really.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I bang on about it every time, but screen unseen again tonight. I love this thing, seen a few films I'd never have bothered with an really enjoyed most of then, and a couple I'd have gone to anyway which I've got to see a month early. Win win!

So tonight I'm hoping for (but not expecting!) hateful 8. Think it might be Room. I've avoided clues this time, so no idea. Much excitement again!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw The Revenant a couple of days back as part of Screen Unseen. This is a film to be seen in the cinema when it comes out in a couple of weeks; it's properly stunning. Sometimes slipping into overly surreal arty places taking pace out of the film and looking like some sort of Bjork video, and at one point seemed to be channeling Monty Python, but the two and half hours flew by so I must have been enjoying it. All the talk of DiCaprio being up for an Oscar for this, but the real star is Tom Hardy who would really deserve a supporting nomination.

Next Screen Unseen is at Odeon on the Jan 18th, I don't think anyone expected The Revenant this time and I'm already excited to find out what it is next time. Thoroughly recommend it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh I always chicken out on doing Screen Unseen, the first clue made it sound like The Big Short this time (which I wanted to see), but didn't risk it. I've done it twice before when It Follows and Nightcrawler were shown and I loved them. Maybe I'll take the gamble next time.

• 3 weeks later...

Walken's King Louie is hysterically awful...

Something off about Idris Elba as Shere Khan, cannot place what's wrong with it exactly though... But two of the major cast member voice choices seem quite poor, which isn't a good sign...

Bill Murray and Ben Kingsley seem suited at least...

So Saw 8 has *officially* been confirmed. There have been fake saw 8 posters circulating for years now but it seems they finally want to give the films another go. All we know so far is that it's called 'Saw:Legacy' and that James Wan and Leigh Whannell are producing it along with Josh Stolberg and Pete Goldfinger who are writing it. Could this be a reboot, a sequel, or something completely different?? I'm excited but sceptical, as long as it's better than the last film I'll be happy with a bit of blood and gore!

• pluk featured this topic