THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

Yet below that post, they have a collection of pictures, three of which show large piles of the concrete shells; the footers, as they have been for the past two months. Suffice to say much information from them isn't very reliable. The track will go up when it goes up. I'd rather they take longer over themeing and landscaping elements if I'm honest.

from an outsiders point of view it may seem there are footers to be completed, but in saying that for all we know they could just be spares for in the unfortunate circumstance they had some breakages when being moved into there positions or around the site in general.But In all honesty who are theme park guide to stay they have been completed, does anybody other then the project team even know how many footers there are?

Theme Park Guide are quoted for saying: Yet below that post, they have a collection of pictures, three of which show large piles of the concrete shells; the footers, as they have been for the past two months. Suffice to say much information from them isn't very reliable. The track will go up when it goes up. I'd rather they take longer over themeing and landscaping elements if I'm honest.

what about if them footers are for the toilets or building structuree?

I dont know about anybody else but for me, it feels like constructions going very quickly, almost feels like its being rushed. Dont get me wrong, its very exciting seeing the construction of the station and what not, but, I just really dont want Thorpe to mess this one up. Th potential is so high for this and I'm sure its going to be a real hit. Its great for England aswell because we need a one of a kind coaster in this country. Next few months is sure gonna be interesting and exciting!

They're still called propellers (or more commonly referred to as "engines") on jet planes as well as smaller aircraft.

No, propellers are not engines, they are the aerodynamic blades that create thrust and they are common on single and multi engine pistons and turbo props. Jet planes have an array of compressor blades, not propellers! (I am a pilot so this I know!!)According to the plans, the plane is a commercial jet and will therefore not have propellers! Unless the plans have changed.

Its great for England aswell because we need a one of a kind coaster in this country. Next few months is sure gonna be interesting and exciting!

Hmmm.. you mean apart from Posted Imagewhich was the first dive machine in the world orPosted Imagewhich was the first flyer in the world and still the only flying coaster in europe.BecausePosted Imagecertainly isn't even the first in the world or in EuropePosted Imagethis is.Agreed though, it is exciting times for Thorpe.

No, propellers are not engines, they are the aerodynamic blades that create thrust and they are common on single and multi engine pistons and turbo props. Jet planes have an array of compressor blades, not propellers! (I am a pilot so this I know!!)According to the plans, the plane is a commercial jet and will therefore not have propellers! Unless the plans have changed.

That's all very exciting that you know this, but the rest of us members are arguably less pedantic and can admittedly confuse things like that. It's possible Fred may have, in his near-tangible excitement ( :) ) substituted one word for the other, making the connection that most of us would make - that there is little difference between a propellor and an engine.Back on topic, but possibly not so. The Swarm's construction is slow. We know this. It seems like every so often there is a burst of posts that expand this topic by about a page or two then some raincloud is tossed in saying how people should wait until track has arrived or something. The slow tempo of the build for one is obvious, and so long as the thread doesn't stray too far off topic then there is no need to repeat comments and tell people to stop talking about what is easily the most exciting UK coaster construction since 1998.

the rest of us members are arguably less pedantic

Sorry if I was coming across as pedantic, only it happens on forums when peeps get something wrong and someone else knows a little more about it. Just like when someone comes on claiming The Swarms over banked turn is an inversion, or that the footers are complete when there are in fact two still sitting on site. I will shush up now about bloomin propellers and the like, I promise. :) Its funny as I am all excited about seeing construction of the ride and forget about all this great themeing that we are going to see going in.

If we really wanted to go into things I'm 100% sure I've seen a documentory where John Wardley explains how his flyuing concept was in the making for years before Air opened. And from I can gather B&M take concepts into a huge detailed testing rally before allowing the concept to take to the market. Infact Air was 'In the making' for about 8 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw63lT-bCEk

Forgive me if I'm wrong but doesnt that mean.... 1994 John Wardley had the idea to fly? and 1994 was the year Himself and B&M worked together to make this creation... So no Air was not thought of as a product of Vekomas.

Right.1.) Actually, Vekoma, NOT B&M, was the first manufactuer to come up with the 'Flying' concept with Stealth at Paramounts Great America and also Batwing, which was installed at Six Flags America in 2001 (A year earlier than air) So yeah, they were techically the first flying coaster. Thats where the concept for air orignally came from. Everybody knows that.

Well ACTUALLY, this was the truely first Flying Coaster... And as mentioned, the design time frame for Air was 8 odd years... So Mark is indeed correct to a degree...

2.) Oblivions ****.

That's just wrong on so many levels I don't even have to make further comment...

3.) I dont remember actually saying The Swarm was going to be the first in the world or in europe! I said its good for England to be getting one.

Let's look at what you wrote...

Its great for England aswell because we need a one of a kind coaster in this country.

You said one of a kind coaster... England both already has these (Towers having 3), Saw is arguably one of a kind due to the theme, Vampire as well is unique... Mark's point here was that we already have plenty of unique coasters... Especially in comparison to the US...

No need to get arsey mate.

Pot calling the kettle black here methinks...Let alone the comment on the construction being rushed... That's just wrong... Thorpe will have set this by a rather strict construction plan, with the deadline being March 15th... It WILL be ready to open on that day... Unless something breaks, which as long as Thorpe aren't trying to rush trains out or just generally break the thing, IT WILL BE FINE!

Just to comment on what Elmer Fudd has deleted.So Vekoma came up with this worlds first before B&M but then decided to not build anymore after the initial two. Whilst the B&M flyer is going strong with tatsu, Manta and now Sky Scrapper in China. That is a concept that has legs, whereas Vekoma hasn't done anything further. So in this respect, Air is a worlds first that means something. And is a worlds first, it's the first B&M type that flies. But, say we go down the road you're walking down, you know, that long pedantic one where we have strict meanings then it makes you completely wrong about Swarm and even Raptor as every enthusiast OBVIOUSLY knows Furius Baco got their first in 2005. As to your opinion of Oblivion being ****. That means absolutely nothing really because Oblivion is still a worlds first and again, its a concept that has legs and we're seeing alterations and types of Dive Machine still being built.I wasn't trying to be arsey though, I was attempting to be more then just words, and decided to use pics of how many unique and varied ride types we already have in the UK. Not many countries can boast dive machines, inverters, flyers, launchers, ten loopers, arrow suspending, maurers and stand up types. The wing rider will add a lot. Just your claim of it being a unique worlds first, was slightly off.

Okay, so I was on park as a guest today and the site is fire high in the works! Not only has the base of the lift hill been positioned the metal gurders for the frame of the the building where erected throughout the day. I never really did think just how big a scale this project would leave its mark but I can safely say this will be a monument that can be seen from all the corners of the park when completed!