THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

Well, to explain in more detail, they make the metal cage things, then put it in those holes, as they have done with the footers beside flying fish. After they fill them with concrete , and when the concrete sets, they place the footer rings on that piece, then create the footers. And fill the area with earth when finished.

It's a B&M, there's no need for excitement or hype, simply because it will be the best coaster at the park without any need to actually try...And finally some track, been bored of people asking when it'll go up and thinking it was behind schedule... X-Flight only just got track this week, so at least Thorpe's started eh?

I actually prefer how Thorpe have marketed and built-up hype about The Swarm. With Saw, Thorpe saw the opportunity to market their newly-granted IP and ran with it. This method certainly got the story out but there was very little left to the imagination, especially from those who'd watched the Saw films because the rides would feature elements of the films so heavily that there was little Thorpe could do to surprise because they needed to stay true to their IP.With The Swarm, we know very little. And it's the same with the GP, not just the enthusiasts: nobody knows much about The Swarm. Think about it - the only thing we know is that 'something' is coming. We don't know what, and we don't know when (no pedantry please). Nor do we really know what kind of trouble the swarm will cause. Sure, we know the final outcome - "urban devastation" and there'll be elements of military/governmental intervention - but just how it is all going to happen? All these holes in the story are yet to be filled in and pieced together, and already the construction of it is better and far more intriguing than Saw's allowing the enthusiasts and any member of the GP with a little imagination to enjoy to process of coming up with any number of solutions. Small things like this are frequently overlooked by Merlin so I say well done to them on this because with Saw, the biggest surprise was merely discovering the indoor drop.I'm beginning to really warm to the name as well, after about a month of apathetic deliberation I really quite like it now. It's been branded "The Swarm". The use of the definite article "The" suggests it's the only "Swarm" worthy of such an important status that it's not simply "A" swarm, but more rather a swarm over all other swarms. Little long-winded explanation but it's not that hard to understand, really.

By the looks of things, unless I've missed a picture or two, the brake run after the inline only has magnetic brakes fitted and correct me if I'm wrong on this but I think B&M only use magnetic brakes to control the speed of the train and use pinch brakes should they want the train to come to a complete stop.

Not to mention the fact the speed through the inline twist must be fairly high if they feel they need trims before this turn!!

If anything like Raptor and Krake, then I expect the train to have stopped before that turn, before picking up speed around the corner and stopped again into the final station approach.

From my opinion, those top set of brakes, are just to slow it down. There is going to be no sign of any of those pressy brake things, which makes the train stop properly, so well it's just to slow it down. Also, if the train could stop there, then I think they would place walkways on both sides of the track, and not on only one side, in case of a evacuation.

Also, if the train could stop there, then I think they would place walkways on both sides of the track, and not on only one side, in case of a evacuation.

I believe that the second walkway will appear just hadn't been put in at the time of the photo being taken. It would be pointless having a walkway on just one side.And I am sure that those brakes look the same as the first brake run on Raptor which stops the train so I would guess this will do the same but we will have to wait and see.

Yeah, I don't see why it would be programmed to stop the train on that top block. Considering there's the transfer block as well as the service and safety blocks, I don't see why you would. I really see it being a hefty trim down to say ~20 mph but not a block stop; there's no need at all.

Raptor's transfer track is also in the second and last set of brakes and in regard to the speed it will take through the inline twist; again as Raptor; it's very calm and smooth. The ride will be ready for the brakes by then and being B&M there WILL be additional trims along the way anyway.

I haven't seen Raptor in person but I have seen one or two POV's and I'd say that the brake run on Swarm after the inline twist looks extremely like the first set of brakes on Raptor which merely slow down the train (on Raptor they appear to slow the train down to a crawl but it doesn't totally stop) and then the second set on Raptor are pinch types which stop the train. Stopping the train after the inline as a block, as has already been said, would be total overkill.On the topic of additional trimming mid course, there is very little straight and unbanked track minus coming into the zero roll and out of it so there are very few opportunities they have to install trim brakes in my opinion. I haven't been on many B&Ms around the world but do these random trims really affect the speed that much?

To clarify...Raptor has TWO sets of brake runs. One directly outside the station and one before.The FIRST brake run is the MAIN brake run, I.e. it STOPS the train properly, not just slowing it, but properly stopping it and not allowing it to move until the other train leaves the station.The second brake run is also the transfer track... Probably why it doesn't park on there instead of the first lot... So the second brake run it DOESN'T stop but rolls through slowly into the station.It is therefore not too impossible for that massively high up brake run to actually stop the train... It's like Rita and Desert Race in a way (obviously as they have an offload platform they don't HAVE to stop).Shall have to wait and see.