THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

Do you know how much you anger me? You consistantly undermine me when I'm 110% correct. This isn't the first time either.Unfortunately I do not have any pictures, and yes I DID see it with my own eyes or I wouldnt be posting on the forum.

What are you talking about being 110% correct? This has nothing to do with percentages and Mah Boi wasn't undermining or doubting you. If you saw progress had been made, we've no reason to doubt you. :blush: Mah Boi just asked how you saw them. As in which way?(I.e.) With your own eyes or via pictures someone else took because if you saw them via pictures maybe you could've uploaded them.

All these arguments... Pointless arguments. Maybe Thorpe should just stop building coasters and we can save the fights?

And if Thorpe stopped making coasters, where would that get us Dora? Edited by Will

Wow, fantastic live updates as usual from Towers Nerd Live. Disappointed that Swarm has a brake run immediately after the in-line. Boo! Was expecting a high speed final turn. I'm impressed with how quickly track is going up though! That in itself is a great marketing tool.

Is it confirmed to be a brake run? I would hasten to comment that it could be a simple 'speed sensor' set up with a trim brake like SAW to ensure that the train doesn't go smashing out of the inline at a stupid speed.I would be very surprised if it was a total block brake, it surely must just be a light trim..EDIT: Is that not the final brake run after the inline?

It's not confirmed, obviously. But what made me question whether it was an actual block was the addition of an evac staircase. Even if it doesn't slow the ride down as such, it could possibly have the potential to do so if possible. Perhaps it'll be like Inferno's brake run, where they have the ability to stop the train on those first set of brakes if possible. I dunno, just speculating!

Actually yeah, a question for anyone who has ridden Raptor. From all of the POVs I've watched, it seems as though the train is held for ages at those first set of brakes. Even though there is another set before the station. I'm just a little confused, is all.From what I understood from the plans for Swarm, after the final turn, you have two sets of brakes, the final set just before the station, where the transfer track is. This is why I found it odd to have another set after the in-line. Seems a bit overkill.

From them pics it looks like that brake run after the inline has some Magnetic brakes on it. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but on a B&M they are permanent/failsafe, much like Intamin Magnetic brakes. On Raptor it looks like the magnetic brakes bring it to a stop pretty quick, with the friction brakes stopping it to a complete halt.Also something to note: in the POV video below you'll notice how Raptor stops on it's first brake section, then moves down onto the transfer section when the station block is empty, I wonder if the Swarm will have an identical block set-up, thus making it stop on the first brake run until the station is free?

How exciting this is - hooray for progress! We're finally off and running :) Regarding block set up, I should imagine the first (after the inline) will be a full block capable of stopping the train, but won't do so on a regular basis. I'm thinking that if it operates the same system as Raptor with a free brake run between the train and station, it'll stop on the block after the final turn, leaving the transfer block free and the other train in the station. So I'd vote no on stopping on the raised run.Edit: Site overview from today, credit to ThorpeNerd. Transfer track is in, footers for helicopter turnaround are visible, and a nice top view of the final turn. The most interesting part though, is that it would appear the two islands have already been linked - contrary to what we saw in the original plans, isn't it? Perhaps an amendment was submitted at some point? Hmm...Posted ImageFor comparison, it's kinda visible here:Posted Image

Actually yeah, a question for anyone who has ridden Raptor. From all of the POVs I've watched, it seems as though the train is held for ages at those first set of brakes. Even though there is another set before the station. I'm just a little confused, is all.From what I understood from the plans for Swarm, after the final turn, you have two sets of brakes, the final set just before the station, where the transfer track is. This is why I found it odd to have another set after the in-line. Seems a bit overkill.

To answer ones question, the first block section on Raptor is where the train stops. When the train in the station has left, you move into the second block section and stop briefly. Maybe B&M encountered some kind of problem because of the length of the train, I don't know but thats how it worked and I am assuming is how Swarm will work. I wouldn't worry though, the speed the train goes going round a simple corner is quite considerable. think Thirteens fast bit of track as it returns to the station.

In answering Adam's question - in the plan draw-up, you can see how one of the supports for the turn were originally meant to be placed in the water. It appears Thorpe may have had some issues with getting planning permission for that after closer inspection from the council, hence why it made sense for Thorpe to bridge the gap so the support could remain on land?