Liseberg

EC!

Blue Fire got the same response when it opened in 2009. People liked it but compared to other launchers and inverters, it isn't the most intense thing going. Helix has an even harder job as right next door is the punchy Kanonen.

In other words, don't worry about what other people think and just try and get on it at all costs :D .

I am trying soo soo hard to get on it this year!! Hopefully it will be amazing!

When people say 'being forceless' is a bad thing, that all comes down to personal taste. Some people will prefer rides like Nemesis, which is just intense all the way through, some will prefer rides like Air which is very floaty and doesn't really inject much force on the riders.

I don't have any personal preferences either way really; if it's a good ride, with an interesting layout and theme, then I'm happy!

If there is, let's hope Mack have fixed the way the system works, because it barely did on Blue Fire...

Though personally I think that on-board music on outdoor rides is a little bit pointless, as it's often difficult to hear over everything else going on (namely wind)...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I rode Helix last weekend and... drum roll... it was fantastic. Bloody good. Which will be of little surprise to anyone who's followed the ride's construction and read subsequent reviews from other members of this forum and coaster community.

It's presented superbly, and certainly looks and feels like the "next generation" coaster that Liseberg are going for. The queueline is futuristic without being tacky, and the associated app of the ride was played by most waiting in line - every 15 minutes, the leading player would win a free Helix fastpass. I visited on a busy day so the game was certainly a welcome diversion from the 2 hour queue time... Helix is certainly a popular coaster; the next largest queue was Balder at 50 mins....

I'm a big fan of the Mack megacoasters (Blue Fire is high on my top 10 list and Alpina Blitz earlier on this year was similarly excellent), so had high expectations from the ride. I rode it twice; early in the day and later at night (Liseberg's Saturday opening hours: 11am to 11pm, as standard), and both rides lived up to the hype - the second one especially so. Everything that I loved about previous megacoaster installations was there: super-comfy lap bar seating, smooth tracking and plenty of ejector airtime. But Helix trumps both Blue Fire and Alpina for its length and variety, and I found Helix to be more intense than either of the other two rides: after a day's operation, there are some serious positive and negative Gs to be felt, and this will likely increasingly be the case as the ride breaks in over the next few years. The layout flows really well, with the LSM launches complimenting the ride rather than defining it - the ride has a fair bit of speed going into the launches, so there's no launch "whiplash" effect as may be felt when riding e.g. Stealth / Kanoenen.

It's hard to pick a stand-out moment from the ride, as there are many. The initial drop out of the station into a corkscrew has to be one of the best openers to a coaster I've ridden. I loved the pretty intense Norwegian Loop in the middle of the ride, and the tight S-bends that hugged the terrain afterwards. The airtime hills are forceful, especially at the back of the ride. And the signature Mack inline twist at the end is just as powerful as Blue Fire's, albeit without the near-miss theming. It also looks beautiful, especially at night with the green and white lighting package - Mack have simply done a great job here.

I'd encourage anyone to fly out to Gothenburg to give Liseberg's new toy a go - getting there from London takes less time than driving to Alton Towers, and the Park has much to offer (Balder is an excellent woodie, especially when warmed up, and Lisebergbanan was a surprise hit). Back row on Helix is worth the flight alone!

Liseberg1.jpg

Liseberg2.jpg

Liseberg3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Blackpool used to be like that though, since I dont visit if often (nor care how it operates), and given that its the only UK comparison to Liseberg's pricing structure, does it really matter?

It has never been like that.  It used to be free to enter, then they introduced the £5 charge (now £6) which was exactly the same as it is now.  It's my favourite park so yes it does matter  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I really flipping hope Merlin brings this to a park. If they completely ignore a Mack Mega (which would be perfect in all their theme parks at the moment) then they've lost the plot.

Some would say building a pretty awesome ride in 2012 at Thorpe and then following up with Angry Birds Land two years later, suggest the plot has already been lost.

Suffice to say, a Mack mega would be awesome in the UK, I would just rather see it at a park that gives a damn. I would have said Oakwood but they've gone down the dark side too. Southend maybe?  ;)