• 2 weeks later...

Kings Island have confirmed that Flight Deck for next year will be rethemed to the iconic THE BAT!

559753_10152280924048368_1036445315_n.jp

from their facebook page:

Thirty-three years to the day it was first introduced in 1980, The Bat will fly again at Kings Island. The park is changing the name and colors of the Flight Deck roller coaster to The Bat. The change will take effect for the 2014 season. The new color scheme for The Bat will feature orange track with two shades of charcoal for the columns and structure. Black will be the featured color of the trains.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152280924048368&set=a.226729858367.174830.155893938367&type=1&theater

This is fantastic, Banshee and The Bat. going to be good for Kings Island next year!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure I'd like those restraints on an invert, they prevent head banging (but to be honest that isn't really a problem on a B&M) but they also stop any float time or potential airtime the ride could have.

The park have confirmed that the vests won't lock in place and will move freely so there is potential for hangtime, obviously there will be no airtime cos there isn't anywhere it would get airtime lol

• 2 months later...

So this has opened and stuff now:

(Avoid the second half the video if you don't want to see Alvey screaming)

Looks good, even if a bit sluggish at some points. Then again, we all know how difficult it to judge B&Ms from their POVs. If it is a bit tame at the moment though, I give it a few years before it's a bit of beast.

I would love for some European park to just get a lumbering piece of kit like Banshee. Whilst the more imaginative, smaller rides like Nemesis are greatly appreciated, something massive like Katun would be awesome and very exciting. I'm also a bit jealous of American parks doing these epic opening events with free t-shirts and official openings from park managers. Adds a bit of occasion to the day instead of ride just opening with no fanfare.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking around at some reviews and, Banshee has train roulette like the Smiler. Blue is the smoothest, greenish sort of colour is Nemesis type rattle and the Purple train, from what I have read is like being on a Vekoma SLC... That doesn't sound good for a brand new B&M that has been open for only a month.

I have been looking around at some reviews and, Banshee has train roulette like the Smiler. Blue is the smoothest, greenish sort of colour is Nemesis type rattle and the Purple train, from what I have read is like being on a Vekoma SLC... That doesn't sound good for a brand new B&M that has been open for only a month.

Can I read these reviews?

• 3 weeks later...

Double post but Flight of Fear's motors caught on fire...

MASON, Ohio -- Eighteen people were exposed to thick smoke on Kings Island's indoor roller coaster Flight of Fear Monday afternoon after a motor connected to the ride malfunctioned.

Mason's fire department responded to a call from the amusement park at about 2:45p.m.

Once at the park, firefighters found that an electric motor within the ride's housing was smoking. Eighteen people were exposed to the smoke, according to Mason's fire department. Two people were treated on scene but not taken to hospitals.

Once the engine was turned off, the motor quit smoking, Mason firefighters said.

Hayley Ashcraft is a student of Union, Kentucky, who spent Monday afternoon at Kings Island for a school field trip. She and some friends rode Flight of Fear just before they closed the ride down.

"While we are on it, it smelled like gas and we couldn’t ... we couldn’t breathe so we just held our breaths the whole time," Ashcraft said. "It smelled like burning rubber. It was like a gas smell."

"It (the ride) just smelled really bad. I didn’t really know what was going on. It was kind of scary I guess."

Once the ride was over, she stayed at the park but went to ride a nearby ride. She said the fire department showed up about five minutes after she rode Flight of Fear.

"Then we went back just to see what was going when the fire trucks came and we realized that they were going to Flight of Fear," she said. "And then we went back there a few minutes later and realized that it was shut down. We just wanted to see what was going on."

Ashcraft will go back to Kings Island despite Monday's mishap, she told WCPO digital reporter Taylor Mirfendereski.

"It didn’t scare me that bad, but it was just weird that it happened because I didn’t think that something like that would happen," she said.

Flight of Fear is located near the Racer wooden roller coaster in the Coney Island section of the amusement park. It was built in 1996 as the Outer Limits: Flight of Fear coaster and re-named just Flight of Fear in 2006.

Ambulances and stretchers could be seen near the coaster on Monday, with Kings Island staff directing visitors to the park away from the ride.

For a brief period of time the adjacent FireHawk roller coaster was shut down. That ride reopened at about 3:40 p.m.

Source: http://www.wcpo.com/web/wcpo/news/local-news/warren-county/mason/report-kings-island-flight-of-fear-indoor-roller-coaster-catches-fire

Well thats unfortunate for now atleast anyway.