Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be a SFX from Dynamic attractions.  They've said they're building one in the UK, China and Abu-Dabi.  

Not the first time I've heard that said, and it could be great, but I struggle to see how the building would be big enough to house a decent version of it.

Not the first time I've heard that said, and it could be great, but I struggle to see how the building would be big enough to house a decent version of it.

They're getting a smaller version.  Remember - the video they have is ALL the options available (turntable, drop track, sideways drop, etc)  A company can choose to just buy some of the elements.  The good thing about this coaster is that doesn't require lift halls - so it can all be done from one height and go downwards instead of up. 

Guy Nelson has told us they sold one to the UK at IAPPA.  There's no other large scale attraction being built in the country... so - thusly, it must be an SFX coming to Thorpe. 

Guy Nelson has told us they sold one to the UK at IAPPA.  There's no other large scale attraction being built in the country... so - thusly, it must be an SFX coming to Thorpe. 

That we know of.  Lots of parks are more secretive and wouldn't have released any details yet, so it's not a definite.

It's usually required by law to release planning details when you go about building a huge show building for a dark ride, remember that's the only reason we know Thorpe Park is building one. We would have seen an equally large planning application for another park if that is the case. Also it's unlikely any of the other attraction operators in the UK would go for one of these extremely expensive and unbankable formats; in the sense it's still very prototypey and therefore a risk, it can still be a success.

There is an area beneath the structure that is something like 3m deep. However this space is for maintenance purposes only.

That could also include the direct track/hydraulics systems; I think it is marked up as 'maintenance' on the plans to convey that there will be no punters down there (for evac/access design purposes) rather than meaning it will be an entirely separate area, if you know what I mean.

That could also include the direct track/hydraulics systems; I think it is marked up as 'maintenance' on the plans to convey that there will be no punters down there (for evac/access design purposes) rather than meaning it will be an entirely separate area, if you know what I mean.

This could also allow more room above ground for the ride?  <_<

A maglev track?

I think he means Disney's trackless cars, like ratatouille or Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

Pooh's Hunny Hunt utilises a trackless ride system developed by Walt Disney Imagineering. Although other trackless ride systems do exist on the market (such as ETF's Mystic Mover), Pooh's Hunny Hunt differs in that it utilises an array of sensors as opposed to a dedicated wire embedded in the floor.[1][2][3] A custom local positioning system (LPS; not to be confused with GPS) is used to manage these sensors. The patented control system[1] works by directional data being relayed from a master control computer directly to the vehicles which are fashioned to resemble honey pots. This data is then used to move an individual honey pot car through a complicated matrix embedded within the actual floor tiles. Every few seconds, the master computer generates a random path and ‘steers’ the honey pot in real-time, so as the cars roll through the ride the vehicles are, in fact, being told where to go. Because this system is in real-time, they can maneuver accordingly in just fractions of a second. This also allows for spontaneous yet synchronized ‘honey pot choreography’ with groups of honey pots (as many as 8 in a single show scene) appearing to ‘dance’ with the others, often timed with ‘beats’ in the music.[4] Due to limitless variations possible, each journey through the attraction is unique. Overall, Pooh's Hunny Hunt is reported to have had a budget of $130 million. 

but these can be expensive. Very expensive and Merlin don't want to spend that kind of money :3

I just really don't see the point in a trackless system. Its a complete waste of money when you're not on an "unlimited" budget like Disney are. 

Yes, its cool that there is no track, and you glide along effortlessly, but this immersion is completed negated by the fact that everywhere you look is surrounded by an ugly metal grid, in my opinion. 

I've been on both Empire of the Penguins and Ratatouille. I'm not saying its not an impressive ride system, from a technical standpoint its a huge innovation. But if Merlin had the choice between an on the rails ride with better theming, or a trackless ride with lower quality theming, I sure as hell know which one I'd prefer. The metal grid I'm on about is forgivable at more well-off theme parks, because they can afford the theming to take your eye off it. But I just don't think Merlin could ever pull it off. 

Having said that, their recent feat with Gardaland has kindled a potential fire for theming we can expect. They obviously put a nice slice of money into the theming and it really paid off. Fingers are quadruplet-y crossed that they can do something of a similar visual appeal for a dark ride.

You say merlin don't have the money but isn't this supposed to be the biggest investment they've made into a single ride/attraction (over park or ticketed attraction) yet? It wouldn't surprise me if they were looking at finer details like this and considering it properly.

Anyway, it was just a rumour I think I saw somewhere on youtube, nothing to panic about. Yet.