Parks, Rides And Coaster News

MikeC

Anyone else noticed how that advert has Gerstlauer restraints when the ride is built by B&M... Krake does look like it is going to be a short but powerful dive machine like Oblivion, and if there are going to be 3 B&M's in Europe for 2012 then that is certainly something to look forward too, seeing as Parc Asterix haven't added a new coaster for ages and PortAventura getting another B&M should help compliment Dragon Khan being at the park.

^Benin, has anyone mentioned that you can come across quite blunt in your posts? :)

Anyone else noticed how that advert has Gerstlauer restraints when the ride is built by B&M... Krake does look like it is going to be a short but powerful dive machine like Oblivion, and if there are going to be 3 B&M's in Europe for 2012 then that is certainly something to look forward too, seeing as Parc Asterix haven't added a new coaster for ages and PortAventura getting another B&M should help compliment Dragon Khan being at the park.

Yeah, I agree with this. Very exciting news for European parks. Only thing left to do is win the Lottery so I can go travelling. And remember with concept art.... they're allowed some artistic license as the actual ride doesn't exist yet. :)

^Benin, has anyone mentioned that you can come across quite blunt in your posts? :)

Of course I am, I don't beat around the bush... Of some actual interest, Vekoma have officially put up their version of Soarin on their website...http://www.vekoma.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=99&Itemid=57One is already going to Taiwan, and 2 more are expected to be announced soon...

Urm, Wow! ^ I'd actually have to think twice about going on that. How freaky.Travelling over to Orlando now, with Cheetah Hunt news. Over the last couple of days Busch Gardens have been holding "hard-hat tours" in which fansites and members of the press are invited down and given an update of the progress. Much like Sea World did for Manta during its construction.Here are what some of the members from Orlando United learned during their tour:

• Theming will be incredible. We learned that there will be a section called the "Crossroads" where Morocco, Egypt and Edge of Africa meet. Villagers of the Crossroads celebrate the spirit of the Cheetah. Cheetah Hunt's queue will connect this village to the nature of the actual roller coaster attraction through an integrated back story.
  • Cheetah figures at the front will resemble driftwood carvings.
  • Inside the station, there will be a giant 15 foot high Cheetah Rock that will resemble a cheetah. Villager's celebrate this iconic rock because when found - it resembled the shape of a cheetah. Through chiseling and carving they've managed to carve the head of the cheetah into the top of the rock - the bottom remaining in its natural state.
  • Mack Rides is installing their air gate systems on Cheetah Hunt.
  • First launch will now be 38 mph instead of 30.
  • The Second launch will remain at 60 mph - accelerating in under 2 seconds flat.
  • Third launch will now be 50 mph instead of 40.
  • The Canyon Section will include a run-in with a waterfall. Riders will be skimming above 18 inches of water in a serpentine-like fashion. The river will be designed to run at a fast current in the opposite direction of travel to further give the illusion of speed.
  • The use of trenches in the design of the roller coaster is primarily to inhibit certain aspects of the attraction to pedestrians. Cheetah Hunt was specifically designed to interact with non-riders - and the trenches enable the trains to disappear from sight; thus intensifying the experience for spectators.
  • Parabola hill is 60ft. tall.
  • Cheetah Hunt will do a pull through with the front car and ride clearances.
  • Trains arrive next week.
  • Track completion expected by end of next week. 13 pieces remaining to be installed. Installation from this point forward will start on the Windcatcher Tower and finish at the crown of the "skyride hill".
  • May 27th opening date.
  • The current entrance path will be divided into 4 paths: the Skyride entrance, the Skyride exit, the Cheetah Hunt entrance, and the Cheetah Hunt quick queue.
  • As you come down the stairs, you'll be able to see the monitors of your ride experience. You can purchase either a photo or video of your ride.
  • The gift shop will also have accessories, and cheetah-themed gifts.

About flaming time.I feel it important to note that even the big parks in America have fans that have similar discussions to us about rides being re-painted, rehabs, effects broken.It seems that only the family owned theme parks that aren't owned by huge corporate monsters are able to maintain true showmanship with their attractions.

Yeah, I have a lot of love for Islands of Adventure; it is one of those parks that is all about being immersed and at the time everything was done with the creative stance being the focus. For a park that is meant to be all about the experience, the extreme and combining thrill rides that also immerse guests in a unique environment, I would have thought this would have been done years ago. We're talking a good 4 years here at least.And if I'm being totally honest, the coasters there offer no more "experience" or different environment than any Six Flags coaster. I'm also peeved that they ruined most of Duelling Dragons' queue in the transition to Dragon Challenge. You could have shot a movie in that queue before and was genuinely atmospheric. Now, not so much.

Merlin expanding some more into Florida, and more specifically, the Orland area...http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-merlin-announcement-orlando-20110302,0,1456902.story

Merlin Entertainments Group, the company developing Legoland Florida in Winter Haven, said it is working with two other companies to bring its attractions to the long-vacant Mercado property on International Drive.Merlin said Wednesday it plans to bring at least three of its global attraction brands to Orlando, as part of a retail and entertainment complex called I-Walk Orlando. The attractions will include Madame Tussauds and The Orlando 'Eye' – a 425 foot high observation wheel. The third attraction was not named.Discussions about the project are "well-advanced" according to the British attractions company. If an agreement is reached, the attractions will be a key part of the development, which is scheduled to open in 2013, Merlin said.Merlin said it is working with Circle Entertainment Inc. of New York, and Orlando-based developer Unicorp on the project."I-Walk Orlando is destined to be a 'must visit' destination for Orlando's millions of visitors," said Nick Varney, Merlin's chief executive officer. "With this project we believe Merlin, Unicorp and Circle Entertainment will be bringing an exceptional group of new attractions to what is undoubtedly the best and most exciting location for family entertainment any where in the world."In an interview with the Sentinel earlier this year, Varney said he felt some of the company's smaller attractions would fit well in Central Florida."We do see Florida generally -- and Orlando specifically -- as a location where we would put some of these midway brands," said Varney in mid-January. "In particular, we're thinking of Madame Tussauds as an interesting proposition because, you know, it is a global brand that is the celebration of celebrity."The Mercado property, located about a mile-and-a-half north of the Orange County Convention Center, has been vacant for years after the failed Mercado shopping-and-dining center was knocked down in 2007 to make way for a 350,000-square-foot complex of retail and restaurants. That project never got off the ground.

Hey we're Intamin, we will build whatever ride you want, wherever you want because we love pushing boundaries and being daring and experimental!

The second and larger issue of note has to do with that “leap” over the Skyride. The big rumor going around this week is that a serious miscalculation was made here and that there is going to be clearance issues between Cheetah Hunt and the SkyRide. I attempted to get a statement about this rumor from Busch Gardens Tampa today, but as of this writing, they have not gotten back in touch with me with a comment.

Posted ImageAlthough this is in no way confirmed but if it is true.. well... all I'm going to say is this is what happen when you don't go B&M :rolleyes:

Merlin expanding some more into Florida, and more specifically, the Orland area...http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-merlin-announcement-orlando-20110302,0,1456902.story

I really like the sound of this. Hopefully it will all go ahead, I think 'The Orlando 'Eye'' in particular would be worth a visit next time we are over in Orlando. I don't know how much of Orlando you would be able to see from there but it would be amazing if you could see some of the parks!

BGTNation has a great update on Cheetah Hunt. Themeing work for the ride station and trenches is coming along very well, also the track coming from the tower is being constructed. There have been some worries recently about the project being behind, however this proved to be fanboy panic and the ride is on schedule. The Sky Ride towers are being altered so that the track jumps over it during the ride. Cheetah Hunt UpdateAlso, here are some updates on the process of Hulk's track repaint from Orlando United.

It's just so long. I don't really know whether that's good or bad?Negligible actually because Oblivion is quite short but still an intense and great ride.

But on the other hand, Oblivion is designed to do one thing and then that's it... And it does it's one thing extremely well...Cheetah Hunt in comparison seems to be a jack-of-all-trades, master of none...

But on the other hand, Oblivion is designed to do one thing and then that's it... And it does it's one thing extremely well...Cheetah Hunt in comparison seems to be a jack-of-all-trades, master of none...

You could say that about any ride with a decent length. From all of the pictures I've seen this ride interacts with the terrain brilliantly, has the speed aspect, interesting elements (whether they ride well or not is to be decided) has some good landscaping and themeing with a carefully thought out backstory. It also interacts with non-riders much like some of our better rides in the UK.Of course nobody can be sure what it's going to be like until it actually opens, although I feel that there is negativity just because this ride is an Intamin. I also have my reservations- particularly the restraints, but we'll see I guess.