Parks, Rides And Coaster News

MikeC

Obviously I didn't mean it wouldn't slow it down...I was just saying, the overall pace of the ride after that element won't be unduly affected because there's a huge drop after it. And you can't just say it could have been excellent if it hadn't slowed down through there - a coaster can be excellent for a variety of different reasons, it isn't automatically a failure just because it has some slower sections. That element will still be a pretty unique experience.

Obviously I didn't mean it wouldn't slow it down...I was just saying, the overall pace of the ride after that element won't be unduly affected because there's a huge drop after it. And you can't just say it could have been excellent if it hadn't slowed down through there - a coaster can be excellent for a variety of different reasons, it isn't automatically a failure just because it has some slower sections. That element will still be a pretty unique experience.

When it all comes down to it though a GREAT ride paces itself in such a manner to MAKE it great... Let's take Nemesis, a ride that hits it's stop speed after two inversions... That's amazing design and layout ideas through into one amazing ride...Adding launches is quite frankly, cheating... Especially when you have more than one involved... I can't imagine myself liking a ride with just launch after launch with some curvy bits in the middle... It means it will also slow down before the launches as well, dropping pace before picking it up again... This happens for Maverick's launch (which I liked, but as I also mentioned in my post, the restraints destroyed any hope of it being perfect), but once is enough slowing down... This will slow down TWICE before a launch... Maybe it's because it's Intamin, or maybe it's because I actually think this ride is just not brilliant... I really cannot get any form of excitement for it because of (1) That stupid figure 8, (2) It seems to go on FOREVER, and (3) Numerous launches in a ride also doesn't make it an instant BEST THING EVAR!111I can say something wasn't excellent because it slowed down at a point... Silver Star's trims absolutely RUIN, yes RUIN the ride... Slowing down to a crawl for the rest of the circuit was just boring... Lost a lot of possible airtime and was just generally disappointing because of it... A similar comparison can be made to Cheetah Hunt, because of the way Maverick slows down before it hits it's LSM launches (which are the SAME as on Cheetah Hunt, allowing a comparison to be made based on experience)...Soooo, long story short, restraints will ruin it, it'll keep slowing down just to speed up again, the figure 8 thing looks daft, I could imagine this ride lasting TOO long (another thing about a great ride is that it doesn't outstay it's welcome), and having multiple launches on your ride also doesn't make it amazing...

I disagree. This ride could be something of an adventure. Time will tell, but it will be I think. Also - the figure 8 is to be themed if I recall. With re: Silver Star, the trims do not "ruin" it. Utter geek claptrap in my eyes and always has been. Sure, it slows it slightly - but they have also been replaced by magnetics now and the first one doesn't do a thing. Silver Star has never been renowned as an intense thrill fest anyway. Does this also mean any ride with a MCBR is automatically "ruined" because it will get slightly trimmed?I do love a ride like Nemesis where there's no interruption but sometimes in the name of keeping the ride in top shape, capacity and/or other - it's needed.

^Now with that MCBR comment you're putting words into my mouth...When I rode Silver Star the trims were excessively noticeable... It's about the only ride I've been on that had them on in such a way that was as noticeable...MCBR's are a completely different kettle of fish... And have nothing to do with my arguement here, as I'm talking that ride's with certain actions happening on it (let's not go towards Thirteen's trim here), involving slowing the ride down can make a good ride bad... Most of the time my experiences with MCBRs have made such a little effect on the ride I just don't notice them... So... Yeah...

With B&M now using Magnetic fins and also the magnetic brakes that you find on B&M's Hyper coasters like Diamondback, it does make me wonder if this could indicate them possibly thinking about using LSM's in the future, I personally see no reason why they would not although I do know that they don't really like the whole launched concept as a company. However it does make me think if we will ever see another launched B&M like the Hulk, and Mark, how will Starry Night Ripper be painful? It's not like it's a Vekoma!

and Mark, how will Starry Night Ripper be painful? It's not like it's a Vekoma!

Having experienced Tatsu, and found it extremely painful, there is more than one terminology of pain in regards to coaster rides...Just because it's a B&M doesn't automatically prevent it from being painful in some respects... And based off my Vekoma flyer experience, the loop was the WORST part of that ride... Vertical loops and Flyers should probs be shunned...And that's not even going on about that turn Mark posted... That is bloody ridiculous and anything could happen depending on how the speed is...

I think Cheetah Hunt looks like it is going to be a good coaster and I'm not going to criticize the figure 8 element until I see it actually with a car going through it. But I think the problem with the restraints is the actual lap bar digging into your legs when going through the quicker transitions, not the actual harness, but the ride experience is probably improved by having those 'vest' style of restraints.

Quite simply, Alton should be shown that video and told to pull their fingers out and build something like that in the valley...Thing is, we'll need one of the other parks to take the 'risk' of wooden coaster first before Merlin realise how stupid our GP are...

So I've been poking around the internet this evening as I've been finishing my logbook for my Scenic Construction Unit. Whilst on my exploration, I found some various scenic artist companies that have worked on various theme parks and attractions, including Disney and our very own Merlin ones.Spur Creative- stuff for Madame Tussauds.Scenic Services- Stuff for Alton, Legoland and Disneyland Paris Resort; here's their Facebook Page (very interesting photos on there).I'm sure there is much more if you look hard enough.What I find interesting is, why do Merlin go to outside companies when they have their own creative services? Especially Alton Towers.

Easier to tap into the exterior expertise - particularly on some things. Merlin love outside companies, they use loads of companies on PR, advertising, branding.. everything to make the places integral and stick to their routes - the companies themselves often need some help (it's the whole private equity way!)