Fright Nights 2015

Jack F

Think of all those people making the effort to visit, only to be rewarded with that complete and utter farce.  Merlin are in a trialling time at the moment, they need to be offering good customer service to restore faith in the parks, this is not going to get people back!

I mean lets face it, nowhere else is quite that shocking.  I had a similar (but not as bad) experience last year, they just never learn - I've heard that the Fastrack allocation is 80% today on the mazes!

It was a similar story last night, Vortex, Samurai, IAC and (obviously) Tidal closed all day, then at one point Swarm, Colossus, Saw and Slammer were all shut, plus Rumba, Rocky and Loggers as it was after 5pm giving a total of 11 rides/attractions simultaneously closed.

Obviously Thorpe has had a reputation for poor reliability/ride availability for the best part of 10 years but even by their low standards the start of Fright Nights has been appalling for downtime.

Ok. This is uncharacteristically bad! Too little actors, and 13 closed rides... I'm not making a judgement based on this. I'm kinda glad I'm not going till the 28th, even though it'll be busy as f***. This is because they'll have solved these damn problems! (Hopefully)

I could be wrong (really hope I am!), but Thorpe haven't managed to solve these problems in years, let alone weeks.

I could be wrong (really hope I am!), but Thorpe haven't managed to solve these problems in years, let alone weeks.

I unfortunatley have to agree...

I went a few weeks ago and it was a total shambles, at 11am, 10 rides were closed... Its going to get to a point where something major will happen and it will be the straw that breaks the camels back!

As for the mazes, I am certainly worried about tommorow! 

I unfortunatley have to agree...

I went a few weeks ago and it was a total shambles, at 11am, 10 rides were closed... Its going to get to a point where something major will happen and it will be the straw that breaks the camels back!

As for the mazes, I am certainly worried about tommorow! 

I still think it is a bit odd that they had so many rides closed across the Merlin parks at the start of the year, and have been having so many issues since then (I would say a lot more than usual, and that's hard).

Also staggered openings have reared their ugly head at Thorpe, and I remember at Alton they were trying to open certain areas/rides at 11/12 in the first few weeks of the season.

I'm no expert by any means, but it seems like the maintenance budget has been cut.  That is only a guess at one of many potential causes, but I definitely think that something happened at the start of the season with Merlin which is causing things to be so bad this year.

With The Big Top, I can forgive the preview night but it is now open to the paying public and should be finished!

Well I think the first problem is that they haven't got a big enough cast. My grandad told me that there was a poster in the elmsliegh center for actors

After checking frightnightsjobs.com , it appears there's no acting jobs left, so presumably they've filled up all their slots.  

The park have general FN job adverts which advertise all possible roles (actors, rides staff. F&B. etc), of which many non-acting jobs are still available.  This is why there are still adverts for jobs.

---

As for tonight, doesn't seem good.  I heard of many problems throughout the evening (though can't be quite sure how true some of them are), and it is a worry.  I did notice on social media many people complaining and asking for free Fastrack tickets - even many enthusiasts were doing this! - which is a complete joke to be honest.  I did notice Thorpe didn't respond to these requests specifically though, so hopefully that's a good sign...

Really enjoyed Saw alive behind the scenes tour and found out some really interesting facts and gave me a new appreciation for the effort put into mazes... The big top behind the scene tour was decent but alongside previously watching the POV just looked disappointing to be honest which is real shame as the outside is amazing.

In brief.

(I have to give one max rating of 5 as I can't compare it properly otherwise)

Big Top: 2/5

MBV/ 4/5

Cabin In The Woods: 5/5

Saw Alive: 4/5

Blair Witch: 3/5

Going back again tomorrow so will hopefully be able to do te mazes again and see if there's any difference as different run throughs can be so different!

Lighting around the park is as usual... With stealth looking amazing!

Really enjoyed Saw alive behind the scenes tour and found out some really interesting facts and gave me a new appreciation for the effort put into mazes... The big top behind the scene tour was decent but alongside previously watching the POV just looked disappointing to be honest which is real shame as the outside is amazing.

In brief.

(I have to give one max rating of 5 as I can't compare it properly otherwise)

Big Top: 2/5

MBV/ 4/5

Cabin In The Woods: 5/5

Saw Alive: 4/5

Blair Witch: 3/5

Going back again tomorrow so will hopefully be able to do te mazes again and see if there's any difference as different run throughs can be so different!

Lighting around the park is as usual... With stealth looking amazing!

Some positive feedback! Finally. At the moment, I think, the biggest worry is that the big top is a piece of sh**e so far. I look forward to hearing your thoughts tomorrow. But it seems as if though the doom and gloom, you didn't have too bad a time! On a side note, I wonder if containment will improve...

Scare mazes always seem to need at least a year before they're actually any good. Studio 13 last year was good but definitely not that amazing compared to the other attraction such as Cabin in the Woods which had been there for 2 past years. I do wonder why they couldn't have reused more of the Carnival of Screams props? On another note, from the POV of the Big Top that I've seen, the so called mirror maze is a bit of a joke, that could have had so much potential!! Anyways, the outdoor section and the ambience does looks great and the rest of the event seems to be doing fine so I'm still excited to visit next weekend!