Fear on a Ride

I have sadly yet to do a 'proper' inverted coaster as I did Air (now Galactica) but whether you count it going upside down or not is a completely different question. Rita nearly scared me the first time and to make the ride worse, my head in the wrong position so my head banged from side to side of the OTSR. Th13teen meanwhile did not scare much as it didn't have inversions. This logic has made me wonder what is exactly the thing that scares people.

Is it speed/ height (like Stealth) that scares people? Is it inversions (like me) that frightens people? Or is it something else? This thread will be about what exactly scares you on the ride and then tips for how to overcome that fear on a coaster.

I know that the thing my sister is afraid of is drops. Due to this reason she only goes on Nemesis Inferno and Colossus at Thorpe Park and she skips the 3 others.

This fear has not been cured yet but I'm working on it. I shall start with a small drop on something such as The Smiler or th13teen, then progress to the eurofighters and then finally Stealth and the Swarm, both of which have the drops my sister fears the most. I guess this principle could be applied to coasters with inversions. Start with Air, progress to the eurofighters, then inverts, then Colossus and finally The Smiler.

For some reason, I was completely OK doing stealth twice but too scared to do any inverted coasters (any one that goes upside down) when I last visited Thorpe 2 years ago! :o

Stealth is scarier than any inversion, if it gives you any comfort, going through inversions feels no different to any other coaster element, you barely even notice you're upside down

(I used to be scared of any ride that goes upside down too, trust me once you've done one you'll realise it's nothing to worry about)

For some reason, I was completely OK doing stealth twice but too scared to do any inverted coasters (any one that goes upside down) when I last visited Thorpe 2 years ago! :o

You can only say it's a true fear if you experience something and hate it, therefore fearing the idea of experiencing the same thing again. Before you try something the fear is all in the mind as it's the fear of the unknown. I find new ride experience's are never as bad as you build them up to be, I remember doing my first inversion on a coaster (Nemesis Inferno) and weeing with fear. But honestly the inversion was the last thing I was thinking about on the ride because it was like well ... nothing much really :/

It's like when people are like "oh my pooping poop The Saw ride at the Thurp Pak goes like BEYOND DOWN IT IS LIKE MORE THAN VERTICAL OH MY POOPIE POOP ITS THE MOST HORRIFIC THING EVER, and hav u seen THE KILLER ROTATING (sometimes) BLADES THAT ARE LIKE 1mm AWAY FRUM YOUR HEAD :o :o :o :O " then you ride it and the inwards drop is less intense than anything you could imagine and you don't even acknowledge the blades which are not even anywhere near to your body.

Honestly if you have a fear of the inverted coasters it may sound silly but just blank those thoughts, go to Thorpe and get to a coaster in the morning, walk into the entrance and sit on that ride without thinking into it too much. If you don't enjoy it .. hey ho the experience won't be horrific (your not going to die) and you can move on. I strongly believe if you can experience the forces of Stealth then inversions are a step down.

(Saying that everyone has different views though)

My sister is terrified of the lift hills on rides but she endures the pain of forcing herself on them because she loves the coasters themselfs.

I remember being scared of the Runaway Mine Train at Chessington .. a good 8 or so years ago :ph34r:

Fear is something that can take over your mind. Sometimes you have to tell yourself that you are going to do this and literally try and ignore what your mind is telling you.. Initially you may not want to go on but if you force yourself to go on and try and forget what's taking over your mind then hopefully you will come of the ride happy that you have overcome your fear. Its very easy to back out but you will go home sad that you haven't gone on the ride.

I know how powerful fear is but I also know how it feels to overcome fear and how good overcoming fear makes you feel.

I'll drop a longer reply later as I can barely type at the moment but I know how you feel regarding inversions - I was 18 before I did my first proper rollecoaster (and that was only vampire at Chessie).  First upside down coaster was Space Mountain at DLP at the age of almost 20 - then at 32 I did all the coasters at Thorpe which isnt bad considering I used to be a complete and utter wuss.  Find someone you can go with who likes riding coasters - that's a big help as they will probably make you feel more at ease (it was actually this site and my first theme park meet I went on that got me into riding big coasters)

For me personally it was a combination of fear of heights, fear of having a panic attack and the main one = fear of vomiting (over other riders).  After my first go on Stealth I was shaking and vowed to never ride it again but 3 years on and I've ridden it loads.  I take motion sickness tablets which work wonders for the fear of vomiting on other people.  As for the fear of heights, you don't really notice - I can't do the London Eye after my first and only ride on it back in 2006 when I had a massive panic attack due to the height of it.  But with coasters they are so quick you hardly realise and its over so quickly.

My first big coasters I was with people (from this site) who helped me massively and understood my anxieties and I know I've held peoples hands on rides before if I've been scared.  But once you've done it a couple of times you won't even question the fear.  I remember when I used to look at Colossus and particularly the vertical loop and think "sod that" but I love it now

Personally I would start at the smaller coasters and work your way up. I guess it depends what your anxiety is in the first place to were you start. If its height your scared of maybe best not start on stealth. Travel sickness tablets should help with any fear of sickness. A group of friends should help to. Hopefully they will encourage you to. I know what it's like though. I went on a giant swing last year and I was travelling to the location and my mind was really playing tricks. I just had to push myself and do it. I came feeling great with sense of achievement. My fear used to be been sick from spinning rides. This relates to me been travel sick in the past. Its only in the last few months I overcome this fear by making myself go on Vortex. After not feeling sick after taking travel sick tablets I would happily ride any ride at any park now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Is a better idea to do the 'scariest' one first or slowly work my way up? If so what order works best for Thorpe (definitly not Saw).

I agree with you that Saw would not be the way to go. That hill going up vertically will likely do you in, many people including me have routinely said screw the rest of the layout, it's that bit that gets the heart pumping most.

Personally, out of the big ones at Thorpe I'd recommend Inferno as a first step. It's still thrilling but because it's much smoother than other options is feels far less... I don't know what the word is but we'll go with bonkers. I'm not saying coaster roughness equals more intensity but for first time riders, a rough ride can make the experience seem a little more overwhelming.

For inversions I'd go:

Inferno then The Swarm then Saw then Colossus.

If you go onto the ride confident and calm you'll end up forgetting about he inversions. On some inversions, such as loops, you don't really realise you're upside down, it just feel like a long straight bit of track! Also, it may help if you go on these rides first time around with your family, or other loved ones as opposed to friends. Friends are likely to be more judgemental and they will have a less calming effect than loved ones.

Here are a few common fears that relate to the fear of rollercoasters:

Acrophobia- fear of heights

Inverseverticalitis- fear of inverting

Basiphobia- fear of falling

Chlostrophobia- fear of confined spaces (the restraints)

ThemeParkCrafte, have you been on any inverting flat rides?

When the Swarm first opened, my second trip to it involved taking my little brother (a coaster virgin then) to the park with a group of family friends. He was petrified. Literally ready to cry, but peer pressure forced him onto doing the swarm the minute we got into the park. I remember him quivering as the ride dispatched, but re-entering with the wildest grin on his face.

My first inversionynesesnensyesseyeyssness coaster was Nemesis Inferno, and I still remember that well. Like Lewum said, I peed myself a little (legit) but the experience was so fun I did it 4 more times that day. Less then 5 years later I'm a fat enthusiast and continue to regularly ride huge rides and sought out bigger and better places to go. 

Once you get that kick done with, you're a free wolf.

Personally I would start at the smaller coasters and work your way up. I guess it depends what your anxiety is in the first place to were you start. If its height your scared of maybe best not start on stealth. Travel sickness tablets should help with any fear of sickness. A group of friends should help to. Hopefully they will encourage you to. I know what it's like though. I went on a giant swing last year and I was travelling to the location and my mind was really playing tricks. I just had to push myself and do it. I came feeling great with sense of achievement. My fear used to be been sick from spinning rides. This relates to me been travel sick in the past. Its only in the last few months I overcome this fear by making myself go on Vortex. After not feeling sick after taking travel sick tablets I would happily ride any ride at any park now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Agree with all you said here - anti sickness tablets are amazing and really good if you are worried about barfing on rides - they work wonders

I would also agree with starting on Inferno - that was the first one that I did.  The last of the coasters I did was Saw and I was absolutely bricking it because of the main drop - I have a fear of falling although that's kind of better now.

Pretty much all the coasters look a heck of a lot more intimidating than they actually are once you are on them - have you watched any POVs of rides?  It can give you some idea of what to expect but obviously being on a ride is totally different.  Going upside down was one of my anxieties - I can't even put my finger on it - I just thought I would hate it but you don't actually notice a great deal as it is over so quick.

One thing I would say would be to try and go on a quiet day if you can - when I did the coasters for the first time it was a quiet day with no queues and I think, had I been stuck waiting in a queue I would have panicked and possibly bailed out.  If you walk straight up to the ride and get on it's a bit easier I think.

Last year I took my niece (now 12 years old) to Thorpe for the first time - she had previously only done one coaster that went upside down and that was a smalll one.  Over the course of only 2 visits she had done all of the coasters - first visit she couldn't face Colossus or Saw but did the others.  We started her off on Inferno and she got straight on and was nervous but ok.  Got to the Swarm and she burst into tears and said she wasn't ready but I told her to go take a seat (on the ride :ph34r:) and I got a member of staff to reassure her and she loved it and wanted to go straight back on.  We had tears at Saw aswell but it turned out to be her favourite ride and she's ridden it over 40 times since.

She went on The Smiler for the first time on Saturday and she was a wee bit nervous about the amount of inversions but again was fine. 

I know what helped her when she first went on the rides at Thorpe was having me talk her through the ride - yes it is a bit odd but her first go on each ride I was shouting at when the "upside down" bits were coming (that was her idea :lol: )  I think its just a reassurance thing really and the whole anxiety before hand - once you've done it you will probably wonder why you delayed it - I wish I had gone on the big coasters a looong time ago but, better late than never!

-So yeah - anti sickness tabs if you are concerned about motion sickness

-Start off on Inferno - then maybe do Swarm, then Colossus then Saw

-Try to go on a quiet day and with a group of friends who you feel comfortable around

-Sit towards the front of the train as it is slightly less forceful that right at the back - also don't close your eyes as its good to see where you are going

-Sit with your head resting against the back of your seat and just go with the flow of the ride

-Speak to staff if you feel anxious - I did the first time I went on zodiac as I was worried about the spinning action and they are generally really good at putting you at ease

-If you start feeling anxious once the ride has started, take deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth - at the very worse if you hate whatever ride you are on they don't last long and you'll be back in the station in no time.  Oh also if you are scared, screaming can really help take your mind off of it (plus its kinda therapeutic!)

-Bachs Rescue Remedy is really good for anxiety - its herbal and you can get it from Boots or Holland & Barrett - tastes minging but it does help to calm nerves -  many people use it before taking exams etc and it's helped me in the past with my anxiety

-The thought of the inversions is a lot worse than the reality of it - like many phobias

And lastly - if you can do Stealth and you like drop rides then I'm fairly certain you will enjoy the coasters that go upside down!

I really hope that you are able to overcome your fear of inversions - would love to know how you get on B)

I didn't do anything that went upside down for years, then I got dragged on Colossus (?!) and loved it. You don't really register that you're upside down when it happens, it's just another movement as it all happens so quickly anyway you don't really have time to register it :)

You're already beating me, I still refused to do Stealth for years after cracking inversions...

Inversions are a very weird, yet fun sensation. I find that a ride will always look much worse than it actually is... Take Rameses Revenge, for example. I used to look at it and think "You'd have to be insane to ride something even close to that", but I found it was just a pretty weird experience.

Conveniently, I only cured ride-fear fully about a year ago- so I have lots of experience.

For me, inversions are really not as scary as they seem.  I remember being terrified before going on Klondike at Funland (my first coaster with an inversion), but I came off wondering what all the fuss was about and went straight back on.

On flat rides inversions can be completely different, for example Slammer where you are held upside down for a sustained period of time.  If you have never been on a ride with inversions, my advice would be to start with a coaster rather than a flat.

For me, inversions are really not as scary as they seem.  I remember being terrified before going on Klondike at Funland (my first coaster with an inversion), but I came off wondering what all the fuss was about and went straight back on.

On flat rides inversions can be completely different, for example Slammer where you are held upside down for a sustained period of time.  If you have never been on a ride with inversions, my advice would be to start with a coaster rather than a flat.

Oh Lord - Klondike - possibly the most painful ride I have ever been on (I believe they've got rid of it now).  That was my second coaster with an inversion (after space mountain at DLP).

Totally agree about the flat ride inversions - I always find flat rides scarier than coasters.  I usually have a mini panic attack prior to riding Rush and Samurai (when its open)

Inversions are a very weird, yet fun sensation. I find that a ride will always look much worse than it actually is... Take Rameses Revenge, for example. I used to look at it and think "You'd have to be insane to ride something even close to that", but I found it was just a pretty weird experience.

Conveniently, I only cured ride-fear fully about a year ago- so I have lots of experience.

Ah Rameses - never forget the year it opened and waiting for about 2 hours for my sister and her friend to go on it, thinking she was insane!  Now the tables have turned a little and she watches me on rides and thinks I'm mental.

I find with the flats - especially Slammer, they look a lot worse that they actually are once you are riding them.  With the exception of Detonator which looks quite short and tame - until you get on it.....

I usually avoid Detonator because it looks so short and tame, but on my last visit, I did it. It was insane, the intensity was overwhelming and knowing that it pulls 5.5G didn't help.

Due to this, I used to be scared to go on other drop towers, but when I did them, they were absolutely fine and I conquered my fear with ease.

Anyway, I'm just trying to make 2 points here:

1. Fears are usually triggered by a frightening experience that makes you nervous about repeating it.

2. Start with the tamist, and then work your way up. Don't start with detonator like I did (or Colossus in your case) because it will give you a false idea of what inversions are like. This could then frighten you further, to the point that you don't want to go any coasters with inversions.

This could be paralleled, to a boy in my class. He was petrified of going on a trampoline but we all told him that it would be fine, it's safe and he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do. He got on, he was shaking and then he fell off, due to this bad event, he received false ideas about trampolines and never went on them again.