Depth Charge

Garyy

I actually find Depth Charge a lot of fun, but I guess if they're aiming to be the National's Thrill Capital, it doesn't fit in, at all. I'm kind of baffled (and I think they are too) about which direction they're going in. They target themselves at teenagers/young adults, but they added Storm Surge and have now lowered the height limit of X. Maybe it's because of all the teenage pregnancies about the park can appeal to their kids too :P

Thorpe park post of the month.

I must admit I'd rather have Depth Charge over Storm Surge!

Ash

Definitely agree with that. It seems lately we want Storm Surge gone, and also Rumba. And Depth Charge seems to have us split.

5 water rides is too many. I only ride Rumba and Loggers rarely. I haven't done Tidal in years.

There have been rumours going around Alton Towers for a while now that The Flume may be going. Shame, as it would be the only park without a flume ride. They should just retheme it.

The problems I see with Thorpe's water rides/

Rumba Rapids/ too tame and bring since the 02 revamp and sponsor removal as the ride now lacks proper theming and interactive experiences.

Depth Charge/ Thorpe classic but over too quickly and can still get manic queues.

Tidal Wave/ excellently themed and atmospheric too, but unless its a hot day (which don't come too much nowadays), you come off completely drenched feeling very cold and unfomftable.

Loggers Leap/ the best water ride Thorpe has but the ride has been neglected and needs a paint up in places, a nice clean and a new tunnel.

Storm Surge/ serves no major purpose other than being a cross of depth and rumba with an appearance that appears to be a carbon copy of Tidals.

The problems I see with Thorpe's water rides/

Rumba Rapids/ too tame and bring since the 02 revamp and sponsor removal as the ride now lacks proper theming and interactive experiences.

Depth Charge/ Thorpe classic but over too quickly and can still get manic queues.

Tidal Wave/ excellently themed and atmospheric too, but unless its a hot day (which don't come too much nowadays), you come off completely drenched feeling very cold and unfomftable.

Loggers Leap/ the best water ride Thorpe has but the ride has been neglected and needs a paint up in places, a nice clean and a new tunnel.

Storm Surge/ serves no major purpose other than being a cross of depth and rumba with an appearance that appears to be a carbon copy of Tidals.

I would have to say the Rapids are the worst example of such a ride I have ever encountered, without a considerable re-theme I wouldn't really miss it if it were to close.

Depth Charge is a ride I do like, however why the lift that brings the boats up isn't on constantly (or at least until 4 boats are on the top, and another 4 are on the way up I dont get) I would also have people standing behind the chutes ready and waiting to get on like they do in water parks, it would speed up the line.

Tidal Wave I love, but agree with what you say, I avoid it unless its 30+ degrees! The theme and atmospher of the ride is second to none.

Loggers I agree is the best, and I'd love to see it smartened up somewhat.

Storm Surge, for a ride that has such a high number of boats on I would expect a much better throughput. Infact, contry to what I said a minute ago I would rather be on the rapids than this. All it does obstruct the route to X and as you say Matt, try at being Tidal Wave.

Ash

Hmm if I'm in a group of people or at a TPM meet, then Rumba is great because you're all experiencing it together and it's a good laugh. But as a ride and comparing it to other rapids rides I've been on (Congo, Kali River Rapids, Popeye and Bluto's) it is absolutely shocking. I definitely think a spruce up is needed, or even a complete overhaul of the ride.

How long does Rumba last, 3-4 minutes?

Congo River Rapids @ Alton, 8-10 minutes?

No comparism for length, time and ride experience.

Face it Rumba, you're rubbish. :glare:

I find that alton towers rapids and flume do go for a bit long and I have got bored on both of them because they really do go though long bits of doing nothing as where thorpe is short and sweet no time for being bored, and the last few times I been on them they have been a lot more ruffer

I totally agree with what Mark said on the previous page - I thought Depth Charge would be on it's way out very soon, so any investment into it is surprising.

I really quite like Depth Charge. It's good fun in groups of people to have races and is just a bit of innocent fun. But it looks worse for wear (that submarine looks like it could disintegrate!) and just isn't really a good entrance to the park these days. Though, in general, the whole entrance to the park needs a revamp; one day maybe...

I'd say one of the biggest issues is that it seems such a boring ride to operate, half the time the op spend far too long lugging the boats up to the launch section

To be honest I can't blame them. Its not often you see a ride that requires as much manual labour as this ride in this day and age...

I can honestly say I have never been depth charge, is it that good?

Not really, you're not missing out on much. All I enjoy is waiting in the queue at the top, watching Nemesis and Colossus climb their lift hills together, and wait to see which coaster will finish first. That as well as watch Detonator go up and down, and Stealth operate too. You get some good views from up there.

• 2 weeks later...