X

Garyy

Money invested in the right areas means removing the entertainments department (although that seems to be coming back this season) and adding Storm Surge/Saw Alive...

So because people on here dont like these attractions it means they are money not well spent? Saw Alive served a purpose for the 2010 season (which I beleave was the parks busiest season ever, but I maybe wrong) and Storm Surge, whilst it would be hard to find anyone on here who likes it, is an improvement over Octopus Gardens, of which rides you would expect to see in Staines high street rather than Thorpe Park..

There have been improvements, but on the other side of the coin, there are still lots of problems with atmosphere, operations and general maintenance upkeep...

I agree with some of this, but surely opinions on things like atmosphere are more down to opinion rather than fact? Whilst you may not enjoy riding vortex to pop music I'm sure there are those who do for example? General maintenance if anything has improved? Gone are the days of 2005 where you had days of Stealth, Rush, Samurai, Colossus down for days at a time, all at the same time.

Problems which result in guests having poor days and not coming back regardless of 'improving' old/new attractions...

Thorpe aims at the market which doesn't really care about those issues though, yet on the flip side, which market spends the most money at parks? Which market has the lowest disposable income right now?

You only have to look at Six Flags Magic Mountain a few years back to see what issues being solely focused on the 'teen thrills' market and having poor operations can do to a park...

Surely the difference between Six Flags and Thorpe is all their parks went the same way, Thorpe is the only one trying to cater just for teens / young adults whilst other merlin parks around them are focusing on the younger side of things to balance it out. The target audience has been the same for years now, whilst it would be silly to totally ignore other audiences, installing rides such as Storm Surge and apparent works on X which will reduce the height restriction suggest to me that there not really doing this.

One thing id like to point out, I'm not saying thorpe are perfect, far from, but visiting places like Flamingo land show that things could be so much worse, and alot of their problems come from up above (Merlin) rather than the park them selves.

If Saw Alive was deemed as good by guests would Thorpe not have tried to keep it open last season regardless of cut-backs? It was open for a year... Great investment return...

Saying Storm Surge is an improvement over Octopus Gardens... Visually? No... Ride-wise? Nope... Storm Surge also results in a lot of issues regarding flooded boats and staff being rather unsympathetic to guest's not wanting to get soaked through feet... Not a decent investment...

Samurai spent the second half of the season dead with Slammer... I visited the park in August to be greeted by 7 rides at least closed at opening, with 4 being down all day (including the aforementioned Saw Alive and Slammer, but will regular guests know this upon arrival? Unlikely)... Again, saying the general maintenance has improved but is still plagued with issues that causes half the park to be shut at the start of the day and of course add in the usual break-downs is a bit of a misnomer... Improvements? Yes; Better? Yes; of a high standard required? No...

Didn't mention the pop music... What Thorpe needs to do is actually decide on a consistent identity... Right now it's a mish mash of themed rides, unthemed rides, pop music, themed music, etc... Atmospheric mess because even on a branding scale it doesn't know if it's a theme park or an amusement park... Even the blandness of Cedar Fair know what their parks are...

For families, they add Storm Surge, change NWO, yet also removed Time Voyagers, Fungle Safari, CCR... There is no balance and no reason why families who have kids across the age range should all go to Thorpe... Which then leads to Chessie getting higher gate figures (embarrassing thought)...

Six Flags parks suffered on a whole, but Magic Mountain was the worst one, as it added solely thrill rides which suffered from huge amounts of downtime whilst not having much for families... Seeing the failures, it started removing crap rides, adding new ones, renovating PROBLEMATIC (not brand new) rides, bringing in an atmosphere and adding stuff for families... It's seeing an improvement (although not with operations)... But that first sentence is very familiar...

My original points were that we're calling a temporary hotel a major investment... To one of the UK's biggest parks, that is an embarrassment...

If Saw Alive was deemed as good by guests would Thorpe not have tried to keep it open last season regardless of cut-backs? It was open for a year... Great investment return...

My point was it served a purpose though, it keped the park in the limelight for a reasonably small investment, it opened up a new area of the park and more than likley paid for its self 5 times over in fastrack sales over the season / fright nights, so in my eyes it served its purpose. It was open for 2 years and most of the time had a queue to get into it, unfortunately it just another victim from the cut backs all merlin parks had. Id rather Saw Alive close than have the entire park close 1/2 hours earlier a day, its a shame it got to that but with all other parks having cuts, I guess the park didnt have much choice and would of been a no win situation.

Saying Storm Surge is an improvement over Octopus Gardens... Visually? No... Ride-wise? Nope... Storm Surge also results in a lot of issues regarding flooded boats and staff being rather unsympathetic to guest's not wanting to get soaked through feet... Not a decent investment...

The fact that its another ride that the majority of guests can actually ride, and not just for the smallest of children to me ride Wise it's an improvement (surely as the park gets busier, any ride what can soak up some queues is a good thing? Visually agreed and flooded boats the same, although on my rides the procedure was much better in the 2012 season, but still a problem I agree.

Samurai spent the second half of the season dead with Slammer... I visited the park in August to be greeted by 7 rides at least closed at opening, with 4 being down all day (including the aforementioned Saw Alive and Slammer, but will regular guests know this upon arrival? Unlikely)... Again, saying the general maintenance has improved but is still plagued with issues that causes half the park to be shut at the start of the day and of course add in the usual break-downs is a bit of a misnomer... Improvements? Yes; Better? Yes; of a high standard required? No...

Agree with Slammer and Samurai, the sooner these rides are put out of their misery the better IMO, whilst Slammers unique, its too unreliable for the park, whilst I applaud them for the efforts they have made to keep it going after months of downtime since it opened, the fact S&S dont even make them anymore it seems to me thorpe are probably fighting an impossible battle and the ride probably dont have many chances left. I agree some things slipped in 2012, I'm not too sure if opening earlier than advertised is a good or bad thing really.

Didn't mention the pop music... What Thorpe needs to do is actually decide on a consistent identity... Right now it's a mish mash of themed rides, unthemed rides, pop music, themed music, etc... Atmospheric mess because even on a branding scale it doesn't know if it's a theme park or an amusement park... Even the blandness of Cedar Fair know what their parks are...

I do agree with this, but as you said I think the park dont even really know right now really.

For families, they add Storm Surge, change NWO, yet also removed Time Voyagers, Fungle Safari, CCR... There is no balance and no reason why families who have kids across the age range should all go to Thorpe... Which then leads to Chessie getting higher gate figures (embarrassing thought)...

But will familys enjoy X no way out / storm surge more than CCR / Fungle / TV, obviously I cant talk for everyone but id say theres a good chance they will.. Re gate figures , I think thorpe are a long way from less than 1000 on park.

Six Flags parks suffered on a whole, but Magic Mountain was the worst one, as it added solely thrill rides which suffered from huge amounts of downtime whilst not having much for families... Seeing the failures, it started removing crap rides, adding new ones, renovating PROBLEMATIC (not brand new) rides, bringing in an atmosphere and adding stuff for families... It's seeing an improvement (although not with operations)... But that first sentence is very familiar...

Never been so cant really comment, like I said I think reliability etc has improved as a whole although did suffer abit in 2012, I have no doubts in Merlins ability to see the direction Six Flags went in and avoid that at Thorpe.

My original points were that we're calling a temporary hotel a major investment... To one of the UK's biggest parks, that is an embarrassment...

I think it was meant that its the "major" investment for 2013, rather than its a major investment for the park as a whole. I'm hoping we see alot more improvements on park in general this year too.

I really hope they keep the old Music and have all the Televisions on and create a good atmosphere

Change the TV's for flat screens.

Saying Storm Surge is an improvement over Octopus Gardens... Visually? No... Ride-wise? Nope...

I was glad to see Octopus Gardens go. I've said for years now that they need to flatten the area occupied by the Beach, Depth Charge, Storm Surge, and yes, dare I say it, X:\. Think of what coaster they could put in there (no, not a woodie). Visually the area isn't an improvement, infact it's taken a step back. I mean, does anyone remember this?:

x_no_way_out_3130.jpg

Yes, it's X:\ No Way Out, with the path straight ahead, and nothing standing in the way. That was until they plonked Storm Surge in.

If Thorpe really want to keep X:\ for a few more years, and promote it (considering it's one of their oldest and finest), then sticking a Friday afternoon ride from a US park really isn't the way to go about it, and I hope that Storm Surge is gone in the next few years before someone kicks the crap out of it!

They couldn't have named it better:

Storm = causing trouble.

Surge = in criticsm of the ride

And I'll still never understand that police car nearby.

Rant over.

They could at least lower the volume of the speakers in the pyramid. I always temporarily lose my hearing walking through the queue haha! I'd like to see something put in to keep people entertained in the queue.

It's more a case of installing speakers all around the queueline at a general volume rather than just one/two in one place meaning that it has to be loud so that it can be heard throughout more of the queue.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if this name change will come with a refit (not retheme as I cannot see them retheming the enitre ride, but rather refurbishing tired out queline

props such as the robot behind the mirror).

I really hope so, the indoor queueline as it was last year was awful - they did update it a bit before the beginning of last season, but only a tiny bit and it wouldn't have really been noticable to most people.

Bring the robots back I say!

Honestly, I can't see X staying more than a couple years. Thorpe must know they could make much better used of the area and the Arena-area too. I see this re-theme or refurbishment as nothing but a temporary fix.

I would hate to see it removed, it's a classic attraction and if refurbished well still has years left in it.

Going by this year's map, it still looks to have a rave theme to it. I was hoping for something a *bit* more interesting and thought they would remove this rave shizz seeing as the ride is now more aimed at younger audiences. Ah well, I can still hope they've spruced the interior up at least...