Tomb Blaster

I just find it disappointing that the guns themselves have no sound. Though I do like the fact there's a permanent red dot in your line of range to indicate your aim. But all in all pretty much the most decent part of the whole revamp was just the extra UV paint on the sets. Looks a lot nicer nowadays. Just a shame to now hear most of the effects have given up the ghost already...

10 hours ago, pluk said:

I've not ridden the new Blaster, but this facebook post from Chessinton Buzz a week or so ago says it all..

How is it possible, just a few months after major referb, that the thing is in the worst state it's ever been? It's actually an achievement to be that incompetent really.

Only the Anubis targets one and the rolling boulder were true on Sunday. Didn't even know the boulder moved.

• 3 weeks later...

Some may see this as a positive and others may see this as a negative, but both times I've ridden it today, it appears that Chessington have changed the pacing of the ride whereby at the two scenes where the train usually stops still for 30 seconds before proceeding (namely the mummy and snake scenes) they have both been reduced to just 3-5 seconds now.

This is the first time I've ever experienced this on Tomb Blaster and it really threw me off as I was wondering if something wrong was happening.

So now when you pass both of these scenes you stop stationary for about 5 seconds now instead of the usual 30 seconds and as a result, all of the music, effects and scenery ahead after you leave these scenes is massively out of sync with the movement of the train. If you're at the front of the train you are about 15 seconds ahead of the effects so you pass through silent and lifeless sets with no audio.

I thought it might be they were speeding up the circuit as they were running low on a train as the queue has reached 60 minutes today, but on the brake run another train ahead was still offloading guests in addition to the third one in the station loading guests. So all trains seemed to be operational.

Has this happens with anyone else before?

When I went two weeks ago the stops at both these scenes were about five seconds too but the effects that followed the mummy room were fine.

I actually preferred it this way, that snake animatronic is nowhere near interesting enough to warrant sitting in front of for so long while your finger goes numb but it does mean the ride feels like it doesn't have as much of a finale as before.

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 2:19 PM, Martin.C said:

Some may see this as a positive and others may see this as a negative, but both times I've ridden it today, it appears that Chessington have changed the pacing of the ride whereby at the two scenes where the train usually stops still for 30 seconds before proceeding (namely the mummy and snake scenes) they have both been reduced to just 3-5 seconds now.

This is the first time I've ever experienced this on Tomb Blaster and it really threw me off as I was wondering if something wrong was happening.

So now when you pass both of these scenes you stop stationary for about 5 seconds now instead of the usual 30 seconds and as a result, all of the music, effects and scenery ahead after you leave these scenes is massively out of sync with the movement of the train. If you're at the front of the train you are about 15 seconds ahead of the effects so you pass through silent and lifeless sets with no audio.

I thought it might be they were speeding up the circuit as they were running low on a train as the queue has reached 60 minutes today, but on the brake run another train ahead was still offloading guests in addition to the third one in the station loading guests. So all trains seemed to be operational.

Has this happens with anyone else before?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the most trains it can run is five, with three being the minimum?

On 7/21/2016 at 5:22 PM, ben199 said:

I actually preferred it this way, that snake animatronic is nowhere near interesting enough to warrant sitting in front of for so long while your finger goes numb but it does mean the ride feels like it doesn't have as much of a finale as before.

Agree with you there. It's only a finale if you're there longer than a few seconds...but I personally wouldn't call sitting in front of a snake, constantly twisting from side to side and hissing for half a minute a finale. The least they can do is at least add more dramatic effects to go with that, such as dynamic lighting and smoke effects maybe? It has to be as if you're actually battling this huge snake.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having read through this topic I was really interested to see what the new "improved" Tomb Blaster was like. 

I must say, I wasn't expecting much, but I really was impressed when I rode it yesterday. The new targets are easier to shoot, and the guns are more comfortable to hold and easy to shoot in my opinion. 

Everything seemed a lot more energised and exciting. I would say that there is too much light in places - the UV lighting is so bright that you can see the walls, ceilings, fire escapes and access doors which are extremely visible to the point that my attention was attracted more to those than what it should have been on - the actual features of the ride. 

Despite this, I really enjoyed the experience and rode it multiple times.

Good that you enjoyed it, although interesting because lighting is mainly all that changed in the refurbishment?

Entire scenes no longer do anything at all, no animations or sound, until the train has half-exited the scene (unless they've changed the timing of the trains back to how its supposed to be since summer).

The other changes were audio effects being removed, light effects removed, music being oddly remixed with ear-hurting sounds and some scenes patchily retouched in UV colours. Some set pieces removed from the fire pit, and a fire door installed.

So considering nothing except the laser guns and awfully installed UV lights were actually added, its unusual you think the ride gained more drama. To be honest as a themed ride, it is in just an amateaur, shoddy a state as it was before the H&S refurbishment and a far far cry from when it was first opened as Terror Tomb, unbotched 

Tomb Blaster is nothing more than a shadow of its former self. What was once two incarnations of a dark ride - both of which told stories throughout - is now a dull shoot-em-up dark ride with no story whatsoever. The closest to which being a confusing plot involving "civilians entering the tomb to attack and destroy" anything infected by an "ancient and deadly" curse. It just goes to show what modern Merlin rides, especially dark rides, are lacking is storytelling, although Derren Brown's Ghost Train definitely has a bit of this.

It's funny how I always enjoy Duel. It not only works somewhat as an interactive shooter (who doesn't like their zombie shooter games?? ;))...but the feeling of it still being a haunted house still remains.

32 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

Chessington is nothing more than a shadow of its former self. What was once an amazing theme park - which told stories throughout - is now a Place with no story whatsoever. The closest to which being a confusing plot involving corporate management intending to attack and destroy" anything infected by the magic of Tussauds . It just goes to show what Merlin rides are lacking is storytelling, although Derren Brown's Ghost Train definitely has a bit of this.

Edited for accuracy.

Thats Merlin's Chessington for you I'm afraid. If it ain't Africa, Animals or hotels, they don't want to know about it.

I wasn't impressed with Tomb Blaster when I visited a few weeks ago - I actually preferred the old guns even though they were a pain for me to shoot any blinking spot as I have a terrible aim.  I used to really love it when it was Forbidden Tomb/Terror Tomb, then they added lasers....then they did away with Abdab.  Agree about Duel though - a much better ride - I never rode it when it was just the haunted house thang but Duel is far more interactive then Tomb Blaster has ever been

9 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

Tomb Blaster is nothing more than a shadow of its former self. What was once two incarnations of a dark ride - both of which told stories throughout - is now a dull shoot-em-up dark ride with no story whatsoever. The closest to which being a confusing plot involving "civilians entering the tomb to attack and destroy" anything infected by an "ancient and deadly" curse. It just goes to show what modern Merlin rides, especially dark rides, are lacking is storytelling, although Derren Brown's Ghost Train definitely has a bit of this.

It's funny how I always enjoy Duel. It not only works somewhat as an interactive shooter (who doesn't like their zombie shooter games?? ;))...but the feeling of it still being a haunted house still remains.

Tomb Blasters story is there are these bio-somethingorother mutant scarabs that are infected by some curse so you have to shoot them to kill them. Doesn't explain... anything but its there ai woop di doo

Tomb Blaster doesn't even need a storyline though, it needs to be dramatic and exciting again like it hasn't been since the original rides closed, and very likely won't ever be again. Terror Tomb's story made no sense but was just great fun in a way that most people who rode it will always remember.

That kind of real fun has moved elsewhere to other independent parks and Tomb is now a piece of the past being run in a very sorry state.

8 hours ago, Benin said:

The storylines for the DC dark rides aren't exactly War & Peace now are they?

7 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Because half of it is already done for them.

Maybe a little badly phrased, but Tomb Blaster is a example of a dark ride practically falling apart.

Tomb Blaster basically had any type of story it had ripped away for the shooting element..

The DC Dark Rides don't look great, but they seem to make miles more sense than Tomb Blaster..

49 minutes ago, imindetonator said:

Maybe a little badly phrased, but Tomb Blaster is a example of a dark ride practically falling apart.

Tomb Blaster basically had any type of story it had ripped away for the shooting element..

The DC Dark Rides don't look great, but they seem to make miles more sense than Tomb Blaster..

Tomb Blaster was done by Tussauds, so blame them.